Update to Android 12 broke Switch App Button (Square)

Try changing the permanent choice for the launcher to the stock launcher and then back to your launcher.
This did work for me.

The link has moved to

Restarting my device works for me. I use Niagara Launcher.

<html lang=en><meta charset=utf-8><meta name=viewport content="initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, width=device-width"><title>Error 400 (Bad Request)!!1</title><style nonce="yqFRMk3NWeXfcfqKGoocuw">*{margin:0;padding:0}html,code{font:15px/22px arial,sans-serif}html{background:#fff;color:#222;padding:15px}body{color:#222;text-align:unset;margin:7% auto 0;max-width:390px;min-height:180px;padding:30px 0 15px;}* > body{background:url(//www.google.com/images/errors/robot.png) 100% 5px no-repeat;padding-right:205px}p{margin:11px 0 22px;overflow:hidden}pre{white-space:pre-wrap;}ins{color:#777;text-decoration:none}a img{border:0}@media screen and (max-width:772px){body{background:none;margin-top:0;max-width:none;padding-right:0}}#logo{background:url(//www.google.com/images/branding/googlelogo/1x/googlelogo_color_150x54dp.png) no-repeat;margin-left:-5px}@media only screen and (min-resolution:192dpi){#logo{background:url(//www.google.com/images/branding/googlelogo/2x/googlelogo_color_150x54dp.png) no-repeat 0% 0%/100% 100%;-moz-border-image:url(//www.google.com/images/branding/googlelogo/2x/googlelogo_color_150x54dp.png) 0}}@media only screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio:2){#logo{background:url(//www.google.com/images/branding/googlelogo/2x/googlelogo_color_150x54dp.png) no-repeat;-webkit-background-size:100% 100%}}#logo{display:inline-block;height:54px;width:150px}</style><main id="af-error-container" role="main"><a href=[//www.google.com](view-source:https://www.google.com/)><span id=logo aria-label=Google role=img></span></a><p><b>400.</b> <ins>That’s an error.</ins><p>The server cannot process the request because it is malformed. It should not be retried. <ins>That’s all we know.</ins></main>

Thanks for detailing this. I’d been experiencing all of these, and due to their obviousness, assumed that Fairphone must have been the culprit. These bugs are really beginning to annoy me.

Hi,

Ever since updating to FP4.SP25.B.058.20230318 i’ve had a weird bug with the Recent Apps button.
After some time using the phone, without taking any particular action, the button just stops working. When i press it, nothing happens at all.
When this occurs, naturally i reboot the phone, and it works again.
But after a few minutes of usage the problem happens again.

Any idea as to what might fix it ? :slight_smile:
Maybe it’s a known bug that i couldn’t find on the forum and an update is already planned for that bug ?

Best regards

Hi and welcome, assuming you use a different launcher I moved your post here…

I had the same issue and landed on the same conclusion. Switching to the gesture navigation solves the issue.
Probably as @askaaron said the 3-button navigation is a legacy thing.

Just to clarify:
This is not a Fairphone issue, but related to Android.
I have the same behaviour on a Samsung A52, and that’s my company provided work phone (Android 12 + Nova Launcher).

Yes, it is an Android bug and not specific to Fairphone 4. With LineageOS 20, which is based on Android 13, that bug is fixed.

2 Likes

Hi all,

I found this problem only appeared after the recent software update, though it could be coincident with a new app I’ve started using recently I doubt it. I haev been using a third party launcher since last year and didn’t have the problem until recently so I don’t think the cause is third party apps. My workaround was to force stop Quickstep every time the problem occurred, but then I found this thread and the XDA one so now I’m trying gesture navigation.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Hi everyone, this issue happens to me also.
Only with non stock launchers (Nova, Lawn chair, etc.)

Actually I solved it giving the alternative launcher a permission to modify system settings.

Creepy, but it seems is working now.

Go to Apps → your_launcher → Switch to On the toggle button.

Edit:
It’s not working.

1 Like

Hi there,
I understood half of what you said as a bit technical, but the half I got was to clear the cache for Quickstep and that worked.
The App Switch button started working again without the need for me to restart the phone.
Thanks!
Chiara

1 Like

This is a known bug in Android 12 and you may still experience this problem coming back.

Please also have a look at this thread and other solutions like disabling animations in the developer options. Also using gesture navigation instead of buttons works much better with third-party launchers. Better get used to that since gesture navigation without buttons is the new standard in Android and at some point Google might remove buttons completely.

1 Like

I sincerely hope not, since some users have difficulties with gesture navigation and others (like me) just don’t like it specially.

I suppose they might invert the defaults and have three-button as the option. Until then I don’t see it as a “standard”. Heve you seen anything reliable published or is this just conjecture?

No more buttons. Got it.
I still miss blackberry buttons to be honest. I hope at some point some company brings them back. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I still miss the blackberry keyboard too.

1 Like

No - just not with custom launchers. If you use the stock launcher provided with the Fairphone there is no problem at all. You can also disable animations in the developer options as a workaround, then the problem is also mitigated even with third-party-launchers.

JFTR: In LinageOS 20 (based on Android 13) this problem does not exist any longer. So hopefully it is just matter of time that FairphoneOS will also get that fixed.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.