Update kills Google

Rude or not, you rolled out an OS update that bricks some phones. = Fail

I don’t think you guys understand what bricking means. Your phone is still useable, and since these are two occurences of such a malfunction I don’t think your in your right to call out anyone. Let’s just try the most applied hint in the history of anything technical: have you tried turning it off and on again ? (Soft/hard reboot, close/relaunch fairphone app … ) If anything else fails: you can always downgrade and re-update manually.

EDIT: The fact that it’s grayed out is probably for a reason, probably something preventing something else and thus intentional, to protect you.

But then in fact giving comments from behind a computer instead of actually trying something, is a lot easier :wink:

1 Like

It still runs but is unusable? Semantics. Great job, really.
Btw. adding smilies does not make you less sarcastic. I have tried all possible restarts, relaunches, clear datas, so what’s your problem accusing me of trying nothing?

Well, I’m giving up as the only thing you seem to be enjoying is ‘studying’ my sentences/vocabulary/way of putting things. And yeah @Jan_Zuppinger you could always contact support directly. Perhaps your problem is specific for your device.

Regardless of any sarcasm, the update has given me the exact same problem. Hopefully someone will provide us with a solution?

@cretinbox

Have you tried re-opening the Fairphone Updater app and completely re-installing the update?

EDIT:
Also, after the update the Fairphone OS is getting updated in the background. Maybe this is causing the Google Apps widget to be grayed-out.

EDIT 2:
I assume some of you have already tried this, if not, please do.

EDIT 3:
Another possible solution: delete and re-add the widget from the widgets menu.

1 Like

Yes, already tried the advice from the site (several times). It hadn’t occurred to me to try the updater again. I’ve just done so, and it says I’m still on Cherry Pie so I’m running it again. Update to follow…

Well, that for one, could be causing the issue: an incomplete install of the update.

Can I remind everyone that the Community Moderators are not employees of Fairphone, so we have no control over how the update works or performs.

This whole forum is in fact a community led forum - so if you do not want help from the community please go to Fairphone directly - otherwise please be respectful here.

Can any of you post a screenshot of your issue? When you say the google installer is not working - are you saying that you cannot click on it, or are you getting an error when trying to run it etc?

Trying to run the update again may be necessary if it hasn’t installed correctly in the first place and if you are prompted to allow superuser access you also need to make sure this is granted otherwise the update won’t work correctly.

1 Like

Bingo! Running the updater a second time worked for me. Thanks @Robin and I hope this works for others too.

3 Likes

Same thing has happened to me. Am trying the install again.

I’ve run the updater again, and I’m in the same position. Clearly the update doesn’t seem to have installed properly, as my phone still looks the same before, just that all my google apps don’t work. I don’t understand a word of the “tutorial” and am somewhat lost. I seem not to have an update, nor the old system working…

Hi everyone,
As a preamble I agree that in order to solve problems we should stay calm and use nice language.

My experience is that after having finished the upgrade, I tried to re-install Google apps, as required by the upgrade, but the widget was grey and said “Google apps are already installed, delete the installer”. But by evidence Google apps were not because installed since many Google apps were missing and other apps do not work! I did not manage to find a way to re-install the Google Apps.

I then went to do some exercise… and when I returned (45 minutes later), the fairphone updater tells me that there is a new version of the OS, which means that the previous upgrade did not finish smoothly. So I restarted the upgrade, they were installed, then phone rebooted and the widget “Install the Google apps” is on the screen (not greyed) after reboot. However when trying to launch it, I get the message “Fairphone is updating your operating system in the background. Please try later”. So I am now going to take a shower, and hopefully the update will be finished after when I return.

I will keep you informed, but I someone has an idea, please share it.
Thanks

I’m already running the update successfully and have just attempted to reinstall via the Updater app

When I got to the install system update with the Android character on screen no progress bar appeared after five minutes so I pressed the power button and it said that there was an invalid signature and the update had failed.

I’ve therefore just redownloaded via the app, copied the file to my sd card and then run the update again directly from the sd card and is now going through…

So I think this is down to the install not going through correctly

Chris, Do you know how long it take for the Fairphone updater to finish its background update. I suspect it is stuck…

Yes, have the same problem. For about 40 minutes now starting the google installer results in a notification that Fairphone Updater is updating the OS in the background.

It depends upon the speed of your network, but it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes for the 190mb download and then it should be within a few minutes before it asks you to restart.

Maybe try rebooting and running again

Also just a note, when the phone reboots after the install you should know it is successful when you get the message that Android is optimising or updating x number of apps out of x

I’m on my third installation - but keepin’ the faith :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Chris, it is after the step that Android is optimising or updating x number of apps out of x. This step went ok.
Any further idea. I am a little bit frightened to reboot if the upgrade Fairphone upgrade is still running in the background.