Update 8901.4.A.0016.6: Bluetooth control broken on various devices

Perhaps it’s simple issue with the mindset and all that: "We are a community“-environment-sustainabilty is at least to some extent a marketing gag, because without proper product-development and customer-friendly support policies sustainabilty is just an empty word.

So in all honesty, when it comes to true sustainability, customer-friendly support is the least important thing. There are other issues that are far more important. What’s the point of great support if there’s children’s blood on my device…
I don’t think it’s fair to compare the support from a market leader like Samsung with that from Fairphone and I’m willing to make compromises if real sustainability can be ensured in return…

3 Likes

You miss the point. Sustainability and longlivety is to a very big deal the same with me. The latter depends massivly on customer-support and the mindset of the firm. Why should I be using a product for a long time when the product is not reliable, when customer-support does not seem to work?

I had a FP2. Worked for less than 2 years, sd-slot broken. Before that I changed bottom+top modules and battery, got very slow in the end. I bought the FP3 having that in mind and hoping, history would not repeat. But there are software issues, the phone gets slower and slower, too.

But you do have a point: FP might resemble the one-eyed blind. Do you compare downwards? Nokia builds a sustainable product, too. Have a look. If it works better and longer, why would you stay with FP when the thing breaks?

Who are Apple :wink: I’ll let you read the thousands of threads on the Samsung forum to see if there’s any interaction from management. I have a Fairphone so what other companies do is of little interest.

“Slagging off” Fairphone…Hmmm. Do you want to read over what I wrote again?

Transparency : How many employees on their payroll that can code a firmware patch? 1+ or none as in all out sourced? How many current open issues are there?

FP should have a webpage (forget the forum idea) showing resolved, current and scheduled fixes and their priority. It would be less work than responding to multiple tickets multiple times on the same subject.

A 7 day wait for a reply to a support ticket is not good housekeeping.

This is the issue I have. Trying to get support for what one person thinks another person or company should do. I don’t support such authoritarian ideas, especially when I am a consumer and free to chose so those I deal with I ‘give’ the same freedom.

On the 7 day wait: I think that’s very common and to be expected, so again I consider a forum post on such an issue, in such a way as trying to denigrate the support that is offered an unnecessary slight.

Sure complaints about support are more than reasonable, but after 7 days I don’t think so. Although again when something seems important to the user then it is understandable that some witll resort to voicing thier irritation on a forum such as this.

However voicing such is not in any way relevant to the actual topic and only serves to complicate and undermine the support on that issue and in effect is a request for better support. As such rather than publicly voicing such after just a week it seems more considerate to contact support officially rather than getting at them through the forum.

The only likely respond here is to find people who disagree, as I do, or those that agree.

Note: I am not suggesting you lobby Fairphone again, that is up to you and how irritated you are that they don’t perform to your expectations.

But as I mentioned this isn’t really what the topic is about so I will not respond any further and hope you resolve some of the issues soon.

Again > All the best.

1 Like

I think longevity depends more on modular design and community solutions than customer support. The principle is that I want to use a product that will last a long time because I can repair it myself.
I’ve been using the FP3 for over 3 years and it’s been running like day one (apart from the BT problem :laughing: ). So far I’ve only changed the front camera to get better photo quality, but I have to admit that my expectations of a smartphone in general are not particularly high…
Nevertheless I see no reason why I should switch to a global player like Nokia. It may be that they are finally also developing a bit of sustainable products, but I think sustainability is more than “working better and longer”…
I also think that we have now moved far away from the actual topic :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Thanks for inquiring for this issue. It’s really annoying.

I have the same issue. Tested with both a Teufel Airy sports and Anker Soundbuds Curve.

I hope a patch will come out soon.

When i try to test with adb, the pause/playback works as expected.
Enable the developer options and USB debugging. Start some music and try this.

$ adb shell
FP3:/ $ input keyevent 85

That should pause the playback.

1 Like

Out of interest (as BT devices can still control call volume but not media), did you check inputting keycode 24 and 25, and if so did it change the media volume? I really ought to install adb shell on my Pi so I can have a play myself.

Yeah, here’s hoping for a fix sometime soon.

No problem to raise and decrease the audio volume with keycode 24 and 25.
Just like I can do with the controls of my headphone.
Nothing strange going on there.

1 Like

Same issue on my FP3+. Good to know at least that I am not alone in this issue.

When I try to play/pause my JBL Clip 3, it no longer plays or pauses. This is a relatively new issue (since update?). The vol+/vol- buttons work fine. All the buttons work fine on another device (eg. Samsung, Android 8).

JBL troubleshoot with me, with unpairing/pairing, factory resetting speaker. Same issue. Their developers say the bluetooth speaker has compatibility with Android 11 and suggest contacting manufacturer (ie Fairphone) noting they suspect it may be related to the Bluetooth driver.

I followed advice on Fairphone FAQs: safe mode, reset WiFi/mobile/Bluetooth settings. Neither helped.

I raised a ticket. No reply yet. I hope a fix comes through soon.

1 Like

I’d love for this topic to be a bit more informative. Sharing possible workarounds, updates from the Fairphone team, news on updates etc. So maybe we can stop with confirming this is an issue or discussing what they think of Fairphone’s support?

Like @TW8punk mentioned: Fairphone is aware of the issue:

4 Likes

So which information do you want to share?

2 Likes

Just to confirm, this is not just that you can adjust the separate phone- and headphone volumes, but you can actually change the common media volume?

If I push the volume buttons on my headphones, the volume changes, but my phone “doesn’t notice”. To test whether the key codes work, I would expect a procedure like this:

• Keep some consistently loud media running
  • Turn the headphone volume all the way to the bottom
  • Turn the phone volume all the way to the top (don’t wear your headphones, just check in once in a while to avoid damaging your hearing)
  • Send the key code to raise volume a couple of times

If the playback volume doesn’t change, this only affects the phone volume.

1 Like

Thanks for checking. The reason I was interested is because the same key commands are used for the volume on each media type depending on what app is currently in focus. This as opposed to unique commands for play / pause. When a phone call comes in, the Phone app comes into focus and BT controls work it fine.

Reasons I can think of so far are : the Bluetooth app is not seeing any media application in the foreground to focus on, or the media control subroutine code is no longer where the Bluetooth app expects it to be, or the media control subroutine that Bluetooth uses is corrupt. A job for an Android developer me thinks!

Hi @chezkidd
It’s always a good idea to search this forum if you have a problem with your Fairphone. Personally I always visit the forum when something (not minor) goes wrong before looking anywhere else.

Thanks also for submitting a support ticket, more numbers might help bump its priority for a fix?

2 Likes

Hi. Funnily enough, I did search prior to posting (clearly not well enough) but was only able to find this post when pointed to it by someone else. It’s a learning experience.

1 Like

Good work, thank you.

All of a sudden I noticed that my Bluetooth headphones (one Bose, one Sony) cannot control tracks on Spotify anymore, i.e. play/pause, skip, previous, etc. do all not work anymore. Volume control is the only thing that still works. The devices are flawless, they can still control tracks on my Laptop.

I also tried YT music, there the controls do not work either, so I assume it’s not a Spotify issue.

Android 11 on Fairphone 3, Build number 8901.4.A.0016.6.

What else did it try?

• Restarted the phone
  • Unpaired devices and paired again
  • Reset the Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth connection (System > Reset options)

I moved your post to this thread, as you are unfortunately not alone with this issue.

I updated the title to make it clearer, its a general BT issue on various devices not only (TWS) earbuds and its related to the recent update.

6 Likes

+1

Same here.

No bluetooth earphones are working anymore. No Volume change, no skipping, no play/Pause.

Same in my skoda. It is since last System Update :angry:

Hello, just to add myself (ourselves, actually) to the list of people getting problems with bluetooth connexion probably caused by the latest update. We have three fairphones 3 at home. One of us is quite often late when it’s about updates and she’s been right :slight_smile: She’s the only one being able to connect to our Kreafunk aCube portable bluetooth speaker. I got the latest update on my FP3 and while it can detect and pair to the speaker, it looses the connexion after a few seconds. Same for my son who just got a brand new FP3 very recently (with almost no app on it on the contrary of mine), i just have applied the latest update on his phone… And I’m afraid I should’nt have :anguished: : no connexion possible with Kreafunk aCube…

2 Likes