Update 3.A.0129.20210805: Meta and side effect discussions

The real risk is to tend to the screen so much while driving. If you can’t figure things out there instantly, then look at the [expletive] road! There are signs.
And what if you miss a lane? It happens. You’ll survive. Which cannot be said for every accident imaginable with drivers not paying attention to the road.

Edit: Just to be clear … I wasn’t there, I’m not criticising what you personally did or didn’t do, I’m just giving a different general risk assessment for a screen demanding attention.

4 Likes

Thank you for the comment, but it was not very helpful for me.

Yes, there is audio output of the navigation app, and there are also traffic signs, but in my case both did not help (there are 2 turn-right-lanes but I took the wrong one, because I could not see anything on the screen).
But this was not the intention of my posting.

When you enter a tunnel, then the navigation app automatically switches to a dark mode. And when the brightness is reduced to zero on the dark mode, then you can not see anything on the screen.

This could be dangerous, because some people might try to pull down the notification area and to increase the brightness.
They lose focus of the road, and this can cause accidents.

So I wanted to point out that this bug should be fixed, because it could be dangerous.

1 Like

I get your concern and frustration but also the challenging comments about using and relying on the phone.

The danger is not in the phone. although using at you suggest could be dangerous, but don’t hold out for a quick fix. If the phone doesn’t adapt you will have to no doubt :slight_smile:

Even if there was an aggressive wasp in the car, the driver must not panic/lose focus on driving and handle the situation professionally… (Sorry for off-topic, but as a driver it has been important to me to clarify.)

Although you’re having interesting and valid discussions, it’s not quite the right place here. Please try to avoid off-topics discussions, or open another topic if you really wish to continue them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Acknowledged, but I guess this is valid for moderators, too. And I already apologized for being off-topic, so no need to alert me on it…

Blaming a user while there is clearly a problem with how the phone behaves in low light? Really?

2 Likes

Posting before reading? Really?

1 Like

I read the whole thing. Someone is pointing out a situation where this bug created a dangerous situation. In normal operation this wouldn’t have happened. Of course someone needs to pay attention to the road, that’s obvious. And that’s probably not an issue at all if the phone works without unintended distractions like these. I really hope that the Fairphone community doesn’t have fan boy/girl syndrome, where obvious issues like these are deflected.

3 Likes

No.
Someone was pointing out it could be imagined that this could create a dangerous situation … with the dangerous situation being that the driver actively handles the phone while driving … which a driver shouldn’t do under any circumstance, and which a driver will be punished for if caught doing it in many countries for a reason.

As a driver, you are responsible, not your smartphone. I’m certain police, rescue forces, insurance companies etc. nowadays have heard everything about “But my smartphone …” and are not impressed.

I’m very much in favour of fixing the issue as quickly as possible, as any other issue, preferrably it shouldn’t have been in a released update in the first place.

I really hope that the community using smartphones in cars while driving doesn’t have fan boy/girl syndrome, where obvious traffic safety issues brought up in theory here are deflected.

2 Likes

off-topic due to importance of matter

So you agree to rule no. 1: It is obvious that drivers focus on driving. When the phone does not work like it should, rule no. 1 is still valid. The phone is just giving information, e.g. like a RPM meter, but you do not necessarily need it to drive. As soon as you recognize that it does not work, just keep concentrating on your driving…

1 Like

@AnotherElk the user doesn’t say those things at all. There is no mention if the user had a handsfree set or not. If the driver was using it without such a set, then yes, it’s wrong. But if not, then the phone is really at fault here and didn’t create the distraction free experience while driving (as any other phone would do by not lower the brightness to basically 0%).

Anyway. This is not really the discussion of course. I hope Fairphone will fix this issue soon. Otherwise I might not risk buying the Fairphone 4 when it comes out. A phone should always work and make life easy, not difficult :slight_smile:

As a driver you are responsible for creating a distraction free experience while driving, not any gadget you have in the car. If you can’t deal with your phone in a responsible manner, then turn it off.
For traffic safety’s sake I sincerely hope you don’t have a driving license.

Agreed, that would be desirable and enjoyable.

1 Like

Phew!
Am I to deduce that
1] the driver always bears ultimate responsibility for safety
2] the phone does have a fault needs a fix
?

1 Like

1] Yes :wink: .
2] Depends on the OS version. Users who installed the Fairphone OS 3.A.0129 update have a good chance of encountering at least one annoying issue.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.