Unremovable carrier app App Center

Legally not.

However, if you can’t go back to stock, Fairphone can make it difficult for you. But that would not quite be legal from their part.

and just because you own a FP4: there is a bug in the FP4 which can easily brick your phone, so better dont lock the bootloader after flashing the ROM

2 Likes

What do you mean by ‘lock the bootloader’? And could you drop a link for this bug?

sure a link ;-)… its overwhelming I know

so I’ll try in short:

• to flash another system you must unlock the bootloader
    -normally you would lock it afterwards
    -for the FP4 there is a bug that causes that get_unlock_ability is set to 0 (it should stay 1) and therefore if something goes wrong once locked you might end up in a bootloop and only FP can reflash FPOS
2 Likes

Hello.
I am new user. I have a problem. Each time the phone is restarted or started, Orange Belgium applications are reinstalled or reactivated. I have never installed them myself. These are App Center Orange, Orange Manual Selector, Orange TV and My Orange. How to solve this problem? The Fairphone was purchased directly from the manufacturer’s website. Thanks.

See amongst other topics

1 Like

I have a similar issue with Orange France, it started right when I installed the Orange eSIM, they started pushing stuff onto my phone: “Hey, you haven’t got enough useless operator apps, let us help you with that!”
Seems it’s an Orange thing if Orange Belgium does it too… :angry:

I managed to get rid of most of that trash, except My Orange, which comes back each time I reboot my phone. It asks me to configure it, I quit it, and it stays put till the next reboot…

I’m afraid we can’t do much except hope they eventually fire the marketing idiots who thought of this joke, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

2 Likes

See above for further information

If you mean amoun’s post above mine, it links to a 2017 thread linking to an article long gone, by a user long gone. Comments let me suppose what it was about, but I wouldn’t call it “information”, especially since that thread is 6 years old and the official (?) statement has been since removed. I’d call it “history”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Long story short, I for one still don’t know for sure who is to blame for this, but then again I don’t care, I just want this “My Orange” app to leave me alone. Some Orange apps are indeed useful to me and I keep them, others, for instance a second Play Store (!), isn’t.

1 Like

I moved all your replies to an existing topic quite New and related to FP4 so maybe you want to read above…

I am guessing that the article linked to was this one:

Maybe its link changed when it was moved to the Android 10 category - the FP2 was still on Android 6 at the time.

The same article, but then for the FP3, has been linked a few times in the thread. I don’t think anything changed for the FP4.

1 Like

Yes, it is pushed by Orange.
I didn’t have it until I set up the Orange France eSIM, at which point I (well, my phone) was suddenly flooded with all the apps Orange has ever made…

Some of them I managed to uninstall, but “My Orange” is the cornerstone of Orangitude and thus will come back, uninvited, repeatedly, as soon as your phone has any kind of data connection… :astonished:

These nasty habits are a reason why I would never return to Orange. Their mail service is very poor too, especially dealing with spam.

1 Like

Been a while since I headed up here.

I’m still running with Orange France as they’re to me the best provider in terms of network quality (as well as the only one selling the FP4) and I’ve dealt with this issue the only way it can be dealt with:

=> Rooting the device
=> Using Magisk power to debloat the phone

As far as I know there isn’t any other way to get rid of this nastyware.

2 Likes

The same happens on Android 13 on a Fairphone 5. And I’m not even using Orange, but UNDO, a virtual provider on the Orange network. Is it still impossible to turn off this behavior without rooting? I think bank apps complain about rooting.

1 Like

As far as I know, yes, it is still impossible to get rid of these without rooting.
Yes, rooting is often seen as a security risk by sensitive apps.

You can usually get around bank security on rooted phones but it involves a few magisk modules and magisk exclusion list.

Thanks. But I found in another topic, you can open the App Center app and disable all apps there. Then it only installs one instead of three apps each time.

For me, “My Orange” reappears in my notification bar each time I reboot the phone (which fortunately only happens about once/month), but by now it has apparently expired, and when I click on its notification (“Configure your phone!”) it just vanishes instead of starting… :partying_face:

I can live with that. All others I’ve managed to uninstall (except a couple which by accident can be actually mildly useful, like “Orange TV”).

Hi all,

I’m getting really annoyed by the orange manual selector.
I tried to remove it over adb which made it disappear from the app list but it would start anyway after a restart. I disable it remove everything and still it starts.

However today it pushed it over the top, after the last update, installing a game on my phone which has the typical mobile game predatory concepts.
I’m talking about Royal Match. it got installed by Orange manual selector. This pushes the Fairphone into not recommendable for me.

How can a carrier in France impact my phone soo bad. I believe it would be better for FP to not sell there rather than to keep this damage to their brand.

Let me know if anyone knows a solution apart from rooting. I still need to use banking Apps.