Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Yes, i have the booting issue. Thats why i registered myself on this site.
I have tried to change the slots. But console says ā€œunknown option --set-active=bā€. First command works and says slot a is active.

2 Likes

The command is fastboot set_active b (or a if it is already b) instead of fastboot --set-active=b if that doesnā€™t work try fastboot set_active other I think that should do it.

2 Likes

Hi there, this wonā€™t work with locked bootloader, as I just tried it:

Setting current slot to 'b'                        FAILED (remote: 'Slot Change is not allowed in Lock State
')
fastboot: error: Command failed

:frowning: I guess Iā€™ll get the UPS return label today and can send it back thenā€¦

Interesting, wherever I search also here in the forum its always as I mentioned.

Great if its just a command error, else this broken A/B fallback is even manually brokenā€¦

@anon64862762 it would be great if you could step in here and give some insights or at least take a lesson learned from those devices here to get this long known bug sorted

3 Likes

hi @yvmuell !
do you mean that itā€™s important to lock the bootloader after the update?
is it important solely for security reasons?

No I mean locking it, can brick your FP4 due to another bugšŸ™ƒ

Dont boot into the system after flashing and check get unlock ability is 1ā€¦

3 Likes

Same as everyone here.
Iā€™ve got just a black screen.
Iā€™ve installed LineageOS while waiting for Android 12 update.
I was back on FP firmware since a while, and Iā€™ve locked my bootloader.

In recovery mode, Iā€™ve launch ā€œRun graphics testā€ and Iā€™ve got screen
ā€œInstalling system updateā€ then ā€œError!ā€ followed by ā€œno commandā€ then Erasing and Installing system update.

1 Like

At least for me this analysis seems to be correct. I have not unlocked the bootloader and I have not installed a custom ROM and the update to Android 13 (C.073) went fine. I have an uptime of >25 hours and not a single reboot or any other issue that might be related to the Android system update. On the contrary, my FP4 feels better (more responsive) since the update and even the overly aggressive vibration seems to have improved.

I did, however, modify some system settings including developer options (enabled USB debugging and a few other settings) and I did disable/uninstall a few core apps (e.g. GBoard, the Google app, YouTube, ā€¦) using universal android debloater as described in this thread (with a few deviations).

4 Likes

I was worried at first and didnā€™t do my updated.

Thanks for the conclusion USB-2, it brought me to the update.
I never modified and mine is now A13.

Not much changed but overall quite some pleasant tweeks. Essentially the same experience as user0815

Put a hart to one of the 3 posts with successful updates, if yours went through as well and you never changed your OS. Like that we donā€™t spam the thread more.

1 Like

Was also worried, but then i started the update on my almost-untinkered FP4 and it updated flawlessly :slight_smile:

Is there anyone here who had a custom ROM on their phone in the past but now managed a successful upgrade to A13?

Will there be a patch (OTA update via adb) from the Fairphone Company? Is that even possible? Or do I have to send in my FP4 brick.

I know my post has been moved to another thread.

But I want you to let you know following post on the other thread:
So I was able to test the device via an USB-C Dock. I have seen the screen and setup the device over the dock as you setup normaly over the screen.
Means Device is up an running on StockROM A13.

1 Like

Sorry, but it is unclear to me what your current status is and how you got there. You wrote in the other thread that you had IodeOS installed. Then you somehow went back to stock FPOS, (then?) you had the black screen problem, connected to a dock and saw something? What is the status now? Does your screen actually show anything?

Iā€™m not sure if anyone knows, yet. It depends on what sort of issue was caused by installing the custom ROM.
Has anyone with the problem contacted support and also pointed to the findings in this thread? If theyā€™re still not aware of the connection, it might take even longer for them to figure out.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve sended an email yesterday to the support. Waiting for the answer.
I hesitate to contact them by phone directly

Yes, because I didā€™t lock the bootloader and flashed the latest StockRom for A13.
Yes. Status is still the same: boot, fairphone logo, vibrate, black screen >Device is on. I can see the Screen on the monitor. I can manage the device over the usb-c dock with mouse and keyboard.

1 Like

Ok, that is indeed interesting! This would mean that the update did not (fully) brick the phone and might open some possibilities for recovery with a new update without having to send it in.
Even stranger, though: Why would the previous use of custom ROMs prevent the screen from working properly? :thinking:
It would also explain why the automatic A/B fail-over wonā€™t do anything - bugged or not.

I confirm what HereWeAre is saying. Iā€™ve plugged in my FP to my USB-C dock and Iā€™m able to see my screen and obviously use keyboard and mouse

3 Likes

Does the phoneā€™s touch layer work in that case?

Also, can you try rebooting into safe mode?