English

UBPorts 16.04 updates + feature tests

ubuntu
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f9ffc333788>

Small update: in the corresponding github issue about not working external display, someone suggested to add one line to the apparmor config, because the root cause is a “permission denied” on some file.

See: https://github.com/ubports/ubuntu-touch/issues/781#issuecomment-423732902

I’ve tried that and now I can connect to my Samsung BD-J5500 Blu-Ray player again.
But, as with 15.04 the external display freezes after a rather short period of time (felt like 10s or so).

Today’s current status:

CardDAV : the existing account from OTA3 was still there but not updated, I re-run the sh script and now I have two CardDAV accounts, so the majority of my contacts are doubled. :wink:
To do: understand how to delete one of the two accounts
To check also if the crontab was successfully set-up by the script :slight_smile:

CalDAV : strangely the script doesn’t work at all !
[INFO @caldav] @caldav/caldav: log in succeeded, but server refuses access - contact server operator
Workaround = use the interactive method (Open the Calendar app, click on the little calendar icon in the top right corner and select “Add internet calendar > Generic CalDAV”. Enter your calendar URL as well as your username and password to complete the process.) -> this works :smiley:

Anbox:

• flash anbox-boot-FP2.img
  • launch Ingo’s script “install_anbox.sh” (cf Telegram group)
  • type anbox-tool install (it takes ~25min before saying Install done! Anbox is ready to rock! :slight_smile:
  • adb push whatsapp.apk /home/phablet/Documents
  • from the phablet-shell : adb install whatsapp.apk

And it is working :slight_smile:

I uploaded the script you mentioned to https://gist.github.com/Ingo-FP-Angel/63927c2d03acddfc89dd5097f5210bbe

Thanks a lot for your testings! Unfortunately, I didn’t succeed to install UT through the installer 0.1.21 on Windows 10. I tried the older versions 0.1.20 and 0.1.12 but it’s not working neither. Is there an other way to install it or do I have to try each older version of the installer? (Or is it just Windows 10 related?)

I can’t give a definitive answer. The older versions of the installer where people reported success were 0.1.9 and 0.1.12. And it is said that mac and windows versions may give more trouble than the linux versions. In the Telegram install group it is suggested to use a Ubuntu 16.04 live USB stick when the win installer doesn’t work.

If you are willing to try this version, it would be nice to hear some feedback: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/mariogrip/ubports-installer/builds/20538515/artifacts

Not sure why it fails for you, so no idea if the above version is of help at all. But it has somewhat more debug output in case of problems. So it might help finding the cause of the failure on windows.

Hello @Ingo ,

in your reviews about what works, and what does not, you don’t mention the compass. I think the fp2 has one built-in. Right? Does your work? Cause mine don’t in every ubports version.

Never checked that so far. If I remember I’ll include it in the next large update. Not sure when I will do it, though.
Thanks for the hint!

I now tried the external display at work with a Polycom videoconferencing system. It must be some kind of Microsoft hardware internally because it shows itself as “MS Display Adapter”.

The good news is: it works without freezing after a while (like with my Samsung BD player) :slight_smile:

Two things come to mind … either the “Basic Display Adapter”, which is a fallback driver in Windows used in case there’s no other graphics driver installed (and which oftentimes works more hasslefree for basic needs than Nvidia/ AMD/ Intel drivers) … or the “Wireless Display Adapter”, which is an external hardware adapter.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026648/windows-microsoft-basic-display-adapter-on-windows-10

https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/adapters/wireless-display-adapter-2/p3q-00001

In Android, when I use some compass app it first instructs me to calibrate it.
So I installed Xompass in UT, but when I tap on “calibrate”, nothing happens.
How did you calibrate/check your compass?

Calibrating a smartphone compass should be OS-independent … move the smartphone through the air following an imagined “8” (or infinity loop) in different directions (or dimensions) until the respective App doesn’t complain anymore.

Checking OS-independently whether the compass is right is harder … Sun? Stars? Known orientation of nearby streets or railways? :slight_smile:

That’s what I’m saying. In Xompass app, the compass is not moving if phone is rotating. Also the SensorStatus app show no numbers in compass tab, so my guess is, that UT is not even avare, that there is an compass in phone.

Just saw that there is already an issue about it: https://github.com/ubports/ubuntu-touch/issues/38

I’ve done some testings and with your installer the process went further, until I got this:

It worked with Ubuntu 16.04 :grinning:

Report: Compass issue updated.

So I wanted to have a look at UBports.
But honestly … how can this UBports Installer fail so much?

Using ubports-installer.0.1.21-beta.exe on Windows 10 Pro 1809.

1. USB debugging

The required ADB drivers are installed on the computer, USB debugging is enabled on the phone, so ADB should work, that’s what USB debugging is enabled for … so UBports Installer wants to use ADB, right? Ok, I’m optimistic …

adb devices recognizes the phone, and USB debugging is thereby authorized (the authorization requester on the phone didn’t pop up for the installer itself by the way).

UBports Installer doesn’t recognize the phone … what? Why?
I assume it wants to use ADB, because else there would be no need to tell the user to enable USB debugging … and ADB works. WTF?
But ok, I can select the phone manually.

1. Reboot into bootloader.

So, next I should reboot into bootloader … but why do I have to do that myself? If the UBports Installer wanted to use ADB anyway, why not do a simple adb reboot bootloader? WTF?
But ok, I’ll do it myself.

1. Fastboot mode

I like Fastboot mode. It just works. And it works here at first, too, the UBports Installer recognizes it and wants to proceed, but …

… happens for every 16.04 channel … stable/rc/devel. Edit: “Ignore” amounts to nothing.
What about this error? Is this rare? …

https://github.com/ubports/ubports-installer/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+boot.img

… Ok, seems pretty common, which is not good.

And … I’m “not using the latest stable version of the UBports Installer”?
Edit: Ah, I got it now, the versions are all beta, there is no stable version yet, so the message is indeed correct.

Oh wait, it could be Windows … it should work better on Linux anyway, right? … Ok …

Tried the same thing with Linux Mint 18.1 with the Ubuntu installer … same result.
Will try the AppImage version next, even if I think something else is wrong.
Edit: As expected, the AppImage version runs into the same error.

Ok, older version back on Windows then … ubports-installer.0.1.12-beta.exe could work …
Doesn’t for me. Gets to the reboot to recovery part … which I do … and that was it, nothing happens.
Edit: ubports-installer.0.1.9-beta.exe behaves like ubports-installer.0.1.12-beta.exe.

Result for now: “Powered by ubuntu” splash screen and UBports recovery are in place, the Android I wanted to replace still boots nicely, though.

This install process needs either

• serious work. I wonder how many more people would have tried UBports if they could install it. And on what phone could that be any easier than on the Fairphone 2, open bootloader and stuff?

or

• the possibility to do it manually with fastboot. Give me files to install, give me a detailed guide. I’ll manage.
    At least this way I could perhaps try to work around some pitfalls myself.

or

• the possibility to do it with the UBports recovery. How ever this was achieved (I suspect the 0.1.12 version), it’s there now, and apparently it could install stuff. Then give me stuff :slight_smile: .

(And the Fairphone 2 is supposed to be a “promoted device:slight_smile: .)

I fully agree. I’ve managed to install most of the alternate systems but trying I failed under windows 10 with the UBPorts installer (although I think that would be a great solution if it worked reliably) and with fastboot…

Oh, so it can be done with fastboot? How?

No, sorry. “I failed with fastboot” means that I didn’t find a solution to use fastboot for installation (as UBPorts installer didn’t work for me either…). :unamused:

Have you tried ubuntu-device-flash?
The command should be something like:

sudo ubuntu-device-flash --server=http://system-image.ubports.com touch --channel=16.04/stable --device=FP2

Or you can search ubports forum for usage/examples, or ubuntu-device-flash touch -h for help.