TWRP for Fairphone 4

As far as I’m concerned for some reason TWRP is mandatory for me to flash GApps over a fresh LOS install as LOS recovery will trhow an error when attempting.
It works pretty well for that specific usage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it would seem that if you remove any pin/password from your phone before going into TWRP, that you should be able to do a backup, then, right?

No, you would have to remove the encryption of the /data partition.
Even if you don’t set a password you’ll always end up with a encrypted /data partition, that’s been Androids default behavior for quite some time.

From the docs:

All devices launching with Android 10 and higher are required to use file-based encryption.

4 Likes

So this thread has been dormant for a year or so, but meanwhile, TWRP 3.7 was released (Oct/Nov 2022) which supports decrypting Android 12 devices. I’m just curious if any other FP4 users have found a useful backup solution that supports decryption

Hi and welcome, no answer to your question, however:
I dont see the FP4 officially supported on the official TWRP page?

So what is your information based upon?

https://twrp.me/

It isn’t. (Currently.)

So, this would be a question for an alternative solution?

Open Android Backup or ABRT perhaps?

If so I think we should just move it into another topic, as its not really related to TWRP which its still not officially available for the FP4 which was what I was wondering, as sure TWRP 3.7 itself is there, however this topic here is about TWRP for the FP4.

I’d like to report… that fastboot isn’t working on TWRP 3.6.2 20220602!

I does boot into fastboot but via USB, there isn’t anything happening…
I can switch to ADB, which works but fastboot doesn’t…

So, as i understand, the /data folder isn’t encrypted on my FP2. What would happen, if i overwrite my /data folder on my FP4 with that of my FP2 using TWRP? Would this work or do i get problems because of the absent encryption?

Either it get’s encrypted or will be unreadable for Android

That depends on how you do it. If you do a clean flash and copy the data then. It could only get encrypted, however, probably won’t boot if you have different ROMs on the phones. If you have a running FP4 and copy the data, I think it won’t get encrypted and will just stop working.

I have ‘some’ experiences with porting TWRP on MTK devices… would it be possible to port a TWRP image of another QCM 750G device to FP4?

I ask because I never faced fastbootd before and I think, that just porting TWRP to FP4 wouldn’t help about /data encryption or the issue I had that fastboot wasn’t detected on PC…

My fastboot is detected without a problem. I think porting might help if the ported device got encryption working. But MTK devices are entirely different. I only have experience with compiling ROMs and playing around, but I never accomplished something unfortunately…

BTW… why isn’t a recovery partition present in fstab? Does every a/b device only have a boot partition with recovery implemented?! :scream:

Also I see that /data is formated in f2fs… and maybe… TWRP doesn’t (still) fully support f2fs … last time I ised that was with my Galaxy Nexus i9250 … 10 years ago…

The internet has references to devices with “recovery_a” and “recovery_b”.

But if those are not there, embedding TWRP into the boot partition(s) it is, it seems (like e.g. on the Fairphone 3, too).

I just reflashed TWRP with MD5 check and still fastboot isn’t working :confused:

But while playing with the hardware buttons, I discovered the QLM recovery mode, something I only knew from MTK!

1 Like

Guys, just saw that the Galaxy M23 5G have the same SoC like Fairphone 4 and is officially supported by TWRP!

You might want to take a look into it and try to port it for the FP4, I’ll try that too later this day!

Edit: Nevermind, my port get into a black screen, TWRP IS RUNNING and fastboot is still… nope… BUT bootloader accepts fastboot commands :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m happy to announce that you can now find TWRP builds directly on twrp.me! No change in supported features or known issues though.

Initial post has been update to point there :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Any changes that make it viable or should we stick with LOS recovery d/t TWRP not able to access the storage of the device?

2 Likes