TWRP for Fairphone 4

Seems that in our case vendor partition is not writable, anything we can do to change that? :thinking:

So you have to format data before flashing the zip, correct?

Unfortunately it does not work anymore with

FP4.FP40.A.142.20220628

which is the latest I could find: it just hangs displaying the Fairphone logo.

Is there anything I can do to provide more information? I can compile something if that is required.

yes, you MUST format data before booting LeOS

you have flasched LeOS this way ??

Is decryption of that partition possible?

Yes it is, but it is not implemented yet, and that is not an easy process. So no right now it is not.

I just saw that for FP4 official LineageOS build is available.

Is there anyone here who can report if an official TWRP build is being worked on in the TWRP community?
Unfortunately there’s nothing on TeamWin’s Github for Fairphone 4 yet.

1 Like

For people who are using TWRP with the FP4, what is the download url for it?

Right there in the first post :point_down:

1 Like

Thanks! Has anybody confirmed whether it works with Lineage 20/Android 13?

Depends how you define “it works”…
It’ll boot, yes.
However it’ll not backup your data, because it cannot decrypt.

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned for some reason TWRP is mandatory for me to flash GApps over a fresh LOS install as LOS recovery will trhow an error when attempting.
It works pretty well for that specific usage :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it would seem that if you remove any pin/password from your phone before going into TWRP, that you should be able to do a backup, then, right?

No, you would have to remove the encryption of the /data partition.
Even if you don’t set a password you’ll always end up with a encrypted /data partition, that’s been Androids default behavior for quite some time.

From the docs:

All devices launching with Android 10 and higher are required to use file-based encryption.

4 Likes

So this thread has been dormant for a year or so, but meanwhile, TWRP 3.7 was released (Oct/Nov 2022) which supports decrypting Android 12 devices. I’m just curious if any other FP4 users have found a useful backup solution that supports decryption

Hi and welcome, no answer to your question, however:
I dont see the FP4 officially supported on the official TWRP page?

So what is your information based upon?

https://twrp.me/

It isn’t. (Currently.)

So, this would be a question for an alternative solution?

Open Android Backup or ABRT perhaps?

If so I think we should just move it into another topic, as its not really related to TWRP which its still not officially available for the FP4 which was what I was wondering, as sure TWRP 3.7 itself is there, however this topic here is about TWRP for the FP4.

I’d like to report… that fastboot isn’t working on TWRP 3.6.2 20220602!

I does boot into fastboot but via USB, there isn’t anything happening…
I can switch to ADB, which works but fastboot doesn’t…

So, as i understand, the /data folder isn’t encrypted on my FP2. What would happen, if i overwrite my /data folder on my FP4 with that of my FP2 using TWRP? Would this work or do i get problems because of the absent encryption?