Troubleshooting Tool - Community Feedback needed

a) I would like to second Paul’s first suggestion to include module disassembly in the CALLS section before users are advised to request a replacement module. Disassembly should follow this screen if the chosen answer is “No”:

b) When I confirm (click at “Yes”) at the bottom here
(btw, I think the pictures need to be reversed left-right):

… I get this next:

So it says that if the proximity sensor is reporting the correct values, then the proximity sensor is not working correctly. If that’s the right conclusion, then I guess I am not the only person who felt confused. It might still be the right conclusion.

3 Likes

Hi @urs_lesse!

a) disassembly instructions added;
b) mention of the pictures corrected;
b1) when you confirm that the proximity sensor is reporting the correct values the next step is to recalibrate it again. It’s done so that you go back to that step, however the instructions become contradictory. I’ll adjust this.

Thank you very much for your help!

3 Likes

Hello fellow Fairphoners!

The troubleshooting tool is now finished!
We’ve listed the most common symptoms with which users come to us asking for support.

We invite you to have a look at the new symptoms and troubleshooting instructions. Please, give us any feedback you consider useful (typos, incongruences, anything missing or redundant…).

Note: we are still working on the possibility to have some details automatically filled in the contact form, when the user submits a support request.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Cheers,
Joana

4 Likes

Some questions/comments I have:

• Is replacing reboot-causing slim cases without mentioning the button-switch-fix that afaik works every time really a good idea?
  • Why is there no option for Linux computers in Connectivity > Connecting to a computer?
  • Q: What problem do you have? A: Buttons Q: Does removing the back cover solve it? A: No -> Core module will be replaced. That sounds like a quick shot to me. At least I’d ask for a more detailed description in the support request than “Troubleshooting instructions diagnosed the buttons of the core module to be defective.” to avoid replacing working core modules out of misunderstandings e.g. menu/back/home softbutton-issues or “install” button not clickable while screen overlay is active.

In general I think a short problem description instead or additionally to the standard “Let’s see step-by-step how we can help you troubleshooting this problem.” would help to make sure you are at the right place within the tool and to avoid misunderstandings.

1 Like

Is replacing reboot-causing slim cases without mentioning the button-switch-fix that afaik works every time really a good idea?

Maybe Fairphone is still looking for samples of cases that trigger the reboots?

And well, I think while the button-switch-fix is a reliable help, it’s not an ideal solution. I think there is a reason why the power button and the camera button have completely different surfaces. Apart from that, I seem to remember that some folks reported the power button did not work reliably as a camera button.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Fairphone.com now live! Share your feedback

I noticed the troubleshooting pages on the proximity sensor don’t show any images. Since these pages are meant to help people solve their problems step-by-step, this could be somewhat disturbing for those who are not used to open their phone or use sensor-testing apps…

The pictures seem to be available in other troubleshooting guides, so I don’t really understand what the problem could be.

1 Like

I just noticed a blind end.

Display -> screen scrolls or opens apps by itself -> No (removing screen didn’t help) -> No (updating didn’t help) ->

Now it ends with the touch and hold workaround and only the options to go back or restart. What if the workaround also didn’t help? I’m especially thinking about a screen failure (my water damaged screen has an extreme version this issue) and a static/battery issue.

Display > My Display has white spots or black stripes > only one picture is visible (left one is visible, right one is not)

In many places, the Troubleshooting Tool includes this video on module replacement that still includes the removal of an old regular case. I think this is a problem given that many FP2 users keep asking how to remove their slim case. This video might mislead them into applying a lot of force into a wrong method.

3 Likes

Hi Urs,

Thanks for spotting. For now we’ll need to leave it. We don’t have another similar video where we use a Slim cover.

However I’ll raise this internally to have a new video made featuring a Slim cover. In the mean time, I’ll also add a video with instructions on how to swap a regular case with the slim one. Hopefully users will find this when needed.

Cheers!

1 Like

Maybe in the meantime you could edit the explanation to the video linked by @urs_lesse, adding a tip, that the assembly / disassembly of the slim cover can be found here:
Assembling: Changing the Fairphone 2 case
Disassembling: Getting started with the Fairphone 2 slim case

4 Likes

Will do BertG. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @urs_lesse, @BertG

We’ve changed the instructions on how to remove the display module in the several nodes of the question tree related to the display module only.

We’ve opted for using the Changing the Fairphone 2 case video only, because the Getting started with the Fairphone 2 slim case does not show how to remove the black rim.

We still have to go through the other nodes with the video How to replace a module

Let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Please add the required photo here (maybe it’s just a broken link):

Calls -> My display stays black … -> No -> Clean your display photo not displayed here

I think the photo is really indispensable here because to me it is not completely clear whether to clean the actual sensor itself or just the inside of the protective glass cover (in the display module).

1 Like

Hi Urs,

I do see the picture (see screenshot below).

Have you tried to clear cache? If it doesn’t help, please tell me if it happens with different browsers, devices, etc.

Thanks!

I also don’t see it. I see a small framed square and when I right click it I can choose “reload image”, but nothing happens. If I choose “show image” or “copy image location” I get:
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/203706656/Exploded_view.jpg, but that just redirects to the main support page.

Clearing the cache didn’t help.
I’m on Ubuntu with Firefox 59.0.2.

I just tried it with Firefox, Safari, Chrome and Opera on my Mac (desktop) and with Firefox on Windows 10 (tablet PC). The picture does not show in any of these.

Maybe the picture is set to be shown just in your Fairphone intranet?

Anyway, I know now that it’s the glass that is meant to be cleaned, not the sensor itself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking at the page URL it redirects to, it seems the image is only shown when signed in to the shop.

2 Likes

I can report the same.
As @paulakreuzer already reported, displaying the image redirects to the main page and I would add it opens the log-in pop-up window to sign in. The url changes to this:
https: //support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/signin?return_to=https%3A%2F%2Ffairphone.zendesk.com%2Fhc%2Fen-us%2Farticle_attachments%2F203916373%2FTesting_with_Sensors_-_Hand_on_the_sensor.jpg

Judging by the “signing?” part of that URL it seems to require to be logged in, thus confirming the assumption by @urs_lesse that it’s accessibility is limited to the “intranet” only.

2 Likes