Transitioning from FP2 to FP4

Greetings, Andrea. I too converted in the spring when the software was no longer being supported. It was dead easy! Just do it. I didn’t buy a cable as I managed to find one lying around. If not, there are kind and generous people on this forum who may offer you one.
The transition was seamless with clear and easy instructions to get started. The battery is so efficient, I can go a week without charging. the camera facility is brilliant but a learning process. Use the forum to get your answers.
Hope this helps, Cheryl (from just across the border :yum:)

4 Likes

While the exact specifications of the device to come are not definitely known yet, I think it can be ruled out with near certainty that it would have an audio jack again.

So this is the accessory you will need:

4 Likes

There are adapters.
Magnetic ones, even, if the port is very mainly used for charging and there’s no need to plug in different equipment all the time (e.g. USB OTG stuff or an audio adapter).

In case of reusing the existing cable(s) with an adapter, it would depend on the cable(s) and the adapter, too.

1 Like

Warm wave across the border to you Cheryl & great to know you’ve made the transition so smoothly!
So, you’d a USB type C cable lying around? - they must’ve been around longer than I thought… but of course, the FP4 is already 2 years old!

And charging once a week!!! I sometimes charge my FP2 multiple times per day now :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks so much. And I take it this is what I’d need for the Fairphone 4 as well?

1 Like

Hi,

I specifically made the transition from my FP2 to a FP4 and it went with ease (same manufacturer but preferred to use /e/ OS from then). It has no influence in warranty coverage if self-flashed or as Murena purchase.

The new experience for me was just as interesting and intuitive as with my first FP2.
In case you are keeping two SIM cards atm. you will have to “replace” at least one with a modern eSIM
which FP4 will handle. It’s rather a question if your actual provider offer eSIMs as not all do to date.
See here a list which providers by now have been tested with the FP4.
Getting an eSIM to work (if compatible) to me doesn’t look like a challenge and I think everyone can get it accomplished.

The idea of Type-C plug and charging was to (in best case waste reduction) have only one max. 2 charger/cable (per household/individual) for all devices keeping a Type-C plug. Many notebooks stay stationary powered until being traveled with, so the second for true mobile handsets.
Yes there is a difference in charge speed if the cable or charger cannot deliver, hence negotiate high speed charging with the attached device.
But as real scenario, let’s say you keep a portable computer, notebook, tabled etc. in your household with USB-C charger and cable - then use it. It’s just that simple meanwhile.
With quick charge you may full charge the FP4 battery within 1 hour. Without quick charge it may take 2-3 hours.
Using my FP4 every day, I cannot complaint in any way© (pun not intended :wink:). Somehow I have the impression reading through this forum with stock Android there are still some software troubles I don’t experience with /e/ OS. But this doesn’t mean a thing as it was similar with my FP2 on Android.
Updates are coming in regular terms and I never had one that broke something but rather fixed or advanced things.
Still there’s not the FP4 but two models with different memory and internal storage capacities.
So this also makes a price difference you may want to consider in your decision. Atm. they are treated both equally by the manufacturer, no one can tell if some day one version will be preferred over the other depending on updates or so.
Who knows, maybe soon you’ll decide for the upcoming FP5 model.
Good luck with your decision.

3 Likes

i would love to know how you only charge weekly. i have just bought the 4 and have to charge daily. is it that i use whatsapp a lot or is my battery not up to scratch

1 Like

I think once per week is only possible when you dont use it much. When you use it thats just not possible and I guess most people charge daily. The more screen on time you have, the more often you have to charge.

7 Likes

phewww… i thought i was doing something wrong for a moment. thanks you angel

1 Like

Thanks so much for all this Patrick.

I only have one SIM with my FP2… I’ll look into the SIM card situation with my provider, GiffGaff (who use the O2 network).

Good to hear you’ve had such a smooth time with your FP4, as I’m definitely keeping that option open. I had wondered about the 2 models with their different memory and internal storage capacities & perhaps tomorrow’s announcement may make it clearer if one will be the preferred route going forward. Can I ask which model you chose & why? (Though you do sound as if you have more technical knowledge than me for sure!)
Many thanks, Andrea

1 Like

If you’re interested, information about the new FP5 has already been leaked here and here (both in german) and is being discussed in this thread.

2 Likes

You are welcome!
I have chosen for the “big” model as requirements for resources usually increase within time.
There’s nothing afterwards that could be changed or modified on the hardware side. No adding more RAM or internal storage. Some apps won’t install or work properly with external storage (SD Card)
So to have all options for later I have chosen this model.
With USB-C it could also be used as stand alone computer (a docking station easily can be connected which some users and me have tested already).
In case I should ever sell it some day maybe it’s a bit more valued than the “smaller” model.
As it’s an open system users may “thinker” with, e.g. flash other operating system I maybe at some point benefit from the extended resources, specifically RAM.

If your use case is rather basic with main focus on phoning, social media, browsing your might go well with the smaller version. But it could turn out in some years when wanting to resell that it’s not so preferred, just speculating though.
The extra SD slot does give some value if needing space for more data e.g. offline music/video or any other data.
There are just a fraction of apps wanting to run on internal storage. Maybe gamers come to space limits in this concern.
For specific reasons that often cause trouble, SD cards should be formatted as external/portable storage. There are many posts here of users having done different and faced problems after some time.
So that way no more apps can use this extra space for installation should internal storage be filled.
Regards Patrick

3 Likes

Following on this thread, in order to get the accessories for FP5, I would love to get some clarification on specifications.

Fairphone does mention a USB-certified cable,

I have a few USB-C cables lying around, no idea the brand or anything, plus some old chargers that would fit.

Is there any possibility of making any harm to a new phone with devices like that, or will it just make charging slower?

1 Like

Just try and use it, all I have work with the FP3 and FP4 and I never checked any specifications.

Because yes it just influences together with the charger how fast its being charged

3 Likes

Thanks so much again, Patrick. Looking at it, I think I too will go for the 8GB/256GB model of FP4.
Warm regards, Andrea

1 Like

I also recently went from FP2 to FP4 about a month ago. I ordered the headphone jack adaptor (earbuds don’t work for me) and the cable and charger as all the USBC cables in my house were already spoken for. Generally speaking I’m happy with my FP4.

I flashed it with Calyx OS. My current gripe is the fact I can’t seem to be able to download anything and then open the download, e.g. restaurant menus and public transport maps from websites via Duckduckgo browser, or even from e-mails. Not sure if the documents are simply not downloading, or if they are downloading but being saved somewhere really obscure where I can’t find them. (Not in a downloads folder). If anyone else has come across this, please let me know the solution. (Mods, feel free to move my post to a more appropriate thread if you want).

2 Likes

Have you checked whether (and how) the Downloads are listed in the list of Downloads in DuckDuckGo? You can reach that by searching something, kicking on the three dots, and then selecting ‘Downloads’ from the list (second entry from the bottom). If there’s something in the list it should also tell you whether the download is successful, and you should be able to open, share, and delete downloaded files from there, as long as they haven’t been moved from their original location. Or does only the opening fail, despite the file being listed? What about sharing?

When I click on the 3 dots in Duckduckgo and select downloads, only one download is shown, which is a png file (a picture of a QR code for an airline boarding pass. I forget whether the link to that was from an e-mail or a text message. None of the other items where I clicked to download (I remember trying to download some bus timetables, metro maps from websites where the website made it look like I’d downloaded, but the download itself was nowhere to be seen). The unsuccessful downloads would probably have been pdf format.

What do you mean by that? Did you see an overlay by DuckDuckGo that indicated that Download has started or succeeded or were you simply redirected to another page?

If the problem consistently occurs with PDF files, the problem may not be with DuckDuckGo, but your default PDF viewer. Have you checked whether a default app to open .pdf files/file-links is set? Maybe the opening of that application fails. Have you tried installing a different PDF viewer? Which one do you use at the moment?

Also what about other file formats. Have you tried saving pictures from a website by long-pressing and saving them?

Also have you tried a different browser yet? Firefox mobile maybe?

The pdf software on my FP4 is Mu.pdf. I used Mu.pdf without a problem on FP2. It is not playing ball on FP4. Can you recommend another open source pdf viewer (ideally one available through F-droid)?

The Mu.pdf app opens, it’s just the only thing I can see in it is the boarding pass, not the pdfs I’d tried downloading from Duckduckgo browser.

I have just tried downloading a pdf metro map through Chromium (the other browser on my FP4) and was asked to select where to download to, and was able to download (logically) to my downloads folder.

I can’t see where in Duckduckgo browser I can select where documents are downloaded to.