Touchscreen problems when charging on bus/train

I’ve noticed that I frequently get touchscreen responsivity problems when charging my phone through an outlet provided on public transport (trains & coaches).
It takes several attempts to unlock using the pattern as the screen sensitivity is much lower: the phone thinks my finger comes off the screen when it doesn’t. Scrolling doesn’t flow: when I flick, the scroll stops when usually it would continue. Highlighting text and typing without swipe function is difficult and frustrating.
It seems to happen only with mains plugs, not necessarily with USB plugs, and the problem goes away as soon as it’s unplugged.
Anyone else experienced this or know why it might be happening?

According to this thread, it’s a problem with chargers and cables. Quickest way to find out is by trying out different cables, but of course, if the power as provided by public transport doesn’t play nice with the FP2 there probably isn’t much you can do about that.

If the above does turn out to be the problem, the linked thread has a list of community-tested and -approved chargers and cables.

3 Likes

A possible solution to this is to use a powerbank between your phone and the socket. If you don’t have one, there are cheap ones for only ~10€, and a powerbank is never a bad idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, I’ve got a brilliant cable (can’t recommend Syncwire highly enough) and a power bank, charging with them causes no issues and using the Syncwire plugged directly into a public USB port doesn’t cause any issues, it only happens when using a mains plug. It must be something to do with the power provided on public transport, I was just wondering if anyone knows why it happens.

My guess would be that the train isn’t properly grounded so that there are small amounts of static electricity which get transferred to your phone via a cable.
But I don’t have any idea on how electronics work, so that’s just a pure guess :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I do experience this very frequently, also at home when charging. It doesn’t bother me much but I haven’t figured out yet why it is or what can be done about it.
But I do recognise the situation you describe anyway

1 Like

I’ve had this sometimes on travels, but mostly with one particular USB cable that I sometimes borrow from a soundlink mini Bluetooth speaker charging stand at home, with an apple mains plug USB charger.
I have found that if I really need to use my phone whilst charging, if I plug the phone in whilst I keep a finger on the FP2 screen, it seems to calibrate the touchscreen for whatever the change in the earthing is that this cable and mains charger make and I am able to use it for a short time.
But only sometimes…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.