Thread "SD Card no writing permission in FP2": fix leads to more trouble but thread closed

Hello *,

Sorry in advance for this long post, but I try to wrap up the whole troubleshooting I did after following the “fix”.
I had the problem, that on my FP with Open OS 6 I could not get some apps to write to the SD-Card (syncthing, nextcloud,…). So I followed the instructions of the thread

which are marked as resolution, i.e. to edit platform.xml manually while FP is booted and running.
I used the built-in text editor of Ghost commander, to remount / as rw and edit platform.xml.
In platform.xml, however, there was no tag

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

at all !, so I added the complete section as provided by user @Arvil:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
        <group gid="sdcard_r" />
        <group gid="sdcard_rw" />
        <group gid="media_rw" />
    </permission>

Save + remount ro + reboot led to the much worse situation described approximately in thread “No internet at all” (I think):

In my case: almost all apps crashed or at least stated, they had no Internet permissions. Furthermore I could not even install any apk from file. (I wanted to do that to reinstall Fdroid, and then reinstall all apps, because I found some half-knowlede that permissions like internet access, seem to be set at install time in android 6 if I’m not mistaken). However couldn’t even try that, because all apk stated to be corrupt when I tried to install them (including some old fdroid and the newest version from fdroid.org and threema.apk)
So now the only way for me is to save all data using android studio “Device File explorer” and to try and install a new OS.
I think that’s a terribly misleading recipy when applied to FP Open OS 6, but the thread is closed, so no warning can be posted. I had not altered the system files manually at all before.

Note (1) that already some user reported to run into the “no internet” issue after editing platform.xml.

Note (2): the file looks perfectly OK to me, when I open it from Device File Explorer. When I save it locally (macos) and run ‘file platform.xml’ it is shown to be ASCII text, so no weird charcter/encoding problems etc after editing.

Some details: FP Open OS Android 6.0.1 Baseband version 4437.1-FP2-0-08. (MicroG, no google)
FP2-userdebug 6.0.1 FP2 fp2-sibon-18.04.1 release-keys

So please, @moderators , reopen that thread, or at least mark the resolution there with a warning leading to a follow-up thread.

Any help on how to fix my phone without reinstalling would be nice, but I think I’ll try to install a new OS in a few days.

A post was merged into an existing topic: SD Card no writing permission in FP2