The forum: How are we doing?

I don’t think that you can do anything about this but it bothers me that every post is saved in history. I don’t know if the site is actually reloaded but when I scroll slowly through a thread the address bar changes at every post. I guess this is supposed to be a feature but I don’t like it especially when I’m searching in my history for a thread I’ve recently read. Anyway I guess this is the forum software and not your problem.

Other than that this board is pretty cool! :smile:

These are anchors. Each reply has it’s own ‘location’ on a page so you can refer to them specifically in other posts. :slight_smile:

I can see the advantage over the old forum but not over other forum software. But that’s okay. Was only confusing for me to find a specific thread. :smile:

Anyway I also see in nethogs (Windows users can do it with NetLimiter) that every thread that I open in a tab in Firefox is using some bandwidth for update purposes - about 10 kB per minute. That doesn’t seem much but for hundreds of users having maybe some tabs open this seems … inefficient. But I’m sure the forum devs have thought something about it.
A quick calculation for an average thread: 600 kB - that will be used up in an hour. One post per hour seems sane but still the average user will hit the reload button every so often.
Again this seems nothing you can change so I’ll just go with the flow. :smiley:

P.S.: Alright you’re hosted on Greenhost. :green_heart:

Hey everyone,
while Discourse seems actually very solid, I just ran into a possible bug.

I just commented on a comment which commented on one of my comments… and so on. (You know how it is, don’t you?) Now, it looks as if I commented on my own comment, saying “humorkritik said:” on top of my post. However, I clearly marked text from @kgha and hit “Quote reply”. Maybe that happened because I edited my post?

Can someone look into this (low priority, but still…)

Thank you, humorkritik, you just taught me how to insert quotes! :slight_smile: NOT obvious - many fora has a ‘reply’ and a ‘quote reply’ button and I have wondered a lot about quotes, seeing that others master it.

I’m also learning, as you can see here. Which shows something else which is probably a bug: links back to two older topics, not just one, and the second one has actually not much to do with the first one…

What’s happening?

Report this on the Discourse bug tracking site. There aren’t any Discourse developers active here and FairPhone is just using the software out of the box.

1 Like

That would be… there?

Did anybody notice something alike here on the FP Discourse forum?

[Edith says I should mention that my first try to write on the forum using the stock browser also did not work, at all. Anyone else seeing this? Or is it just me?]

I use Opera instead of the stock browser, and it works fairly well but the forum design feels a bit clumsy when you post/reply… sometimes difficult the text book are obscured by other parts of the site (or your keyboard) and so on. No problems on a PC, but since it’s a forum for mobile phon users it would be great if we could have a dedicated mobile version, with all functions kept but with a ‘cleaner’ layout.

Which Opera browser are you using (Opera or Opera Mini)? Cause when I try to go to the forum on Opera I get the message that my browser is too old to work on the discourse forum. However the browser is up to date, I can’t see any missed updates on the Play Store. Forum works on the stock browser.

Could you check in the stock browser as well?
To specify my problem, when I try to write in the compose field in the stock browser, some two or three characters appear, afterwards: nothing. If I try to tab the box to reactivate it, I can see that I can scroll the page behind the box. Happens whatever keyboard I choose.

(I’m going to have a look at Firefox later, and maybe also Opera, now that you mentioned it.)

I use Opera 22.0
Ive used Opera Mini earlier (when on a more limited data plan) since Opera’s data-saving rendering kept traffic down. However, this function (also part of Opera where it’s called ‘Off-Road’) creates difficulties with many websites, including the FP forum (giving you the message you mention). Turn the ‘Off-Road’ option off and all is well.
My operator has increased my data traffic amount from 0.5 to 1 and now 2GB/month so I rreally don’t need to bother any more.

Doesn’t work at all :frowning:
I was able to log in, and can scroll through the main page. But when I try to open a thread, I get the message “Sorry, we couldn’t load that topic, possibly due to a connection problem…”

Possibly NOT, since my phone and the PC where I write this are hooked up on the same WLAN, and I can access other sites (and reload the forum’s main page) in the FP browser without any problems.

Ah that makes sense, cheers! And you probably won’t need it anymore now, but I’ve become quite fond of Opera Max, a data-saving app that saves data in other apps too.

@humorkritik was just about to reply from the stock browser on my phone to say “it works fine for me” however then it behaved super weird:
First, the above reply to kgha was still “saved” in my account, cause I wrote it on my PC and logged in on my phone without sending it.
So then I added a reply to you underneath. Got a full sentence spelled out. After that it “jumped” into the first line after the fourth word of the quote, and continued writing there. Then scrolling down into the box didn’t work, like you said it scrolled the page behind it. I scrolled around a lot, somehow I managed to focus the box again. So I tried continuing my reply but it immediately jumped up to the first line again. Couldn’t continue the reply on my phone. Very weird behaviour.
Even just moving around the cursor was a real hassle. It’s like the touchscreen couldn’t figure out where I was holding my finger, it kept jumping around when I tried to move it to the end of the reply.

@Kris_S, thanks for the confirm. Sounds very much like what I am seeing.
@kgha, I did not see any ‘connectivity’ problems.

Anyone else? Can the FP people themselves check? @anon90052001, would you mind trying to use the forum in the stock browser?

(By the way, I just produced reproducibly a internal server error (Error code 500) when trying to see anyone’s “badges”. Thought I see if there were people working for FP, having a badge for that, probably making a search for others but Joe possible.)

Well, I tried one more time and now I could enter a thread. But it was impossible to give a “quote reply”. I could with some difficulty select one word (couldn’t adjust the length of text selection). The “quote reply” icon appeared, but nothing happened when tapping it.

And both logging in and out was a hassle. When I tap ‘log in’, the login box opens at the bottom so I have to scroll down… and if I scroll a little too far new threads load, pushing the login box further down… and so on. When tapping the logout button, or trying to - it’s a small button and it’s not possible to zoom in on the forum page, which BTW is another drawback - nothing happens. I just have to shut down the broser

To put it bluntly: the default Android browser sucks. And the forum page is not perfect - definitely not optimised for smartphone browsing.

A very low-threshold registration, but yes, you have to enter an e-mail address for Disqus too. Big difference is that in Disqus you don’t need to confirm your account via e-mail. And you don’t need to make a username, it can be “Guest”.

@humorkritik Could you post it on the Discourse meta feedback site? Indeed, there are no Discourse developers lurking here (that I know of) so it’s best to put that issue there.

Cheers!

I take that as a further acknowledgement that it is an issue. Ok, over to https://meta.discourse.org/category/bug then.

Wait @humorkritik, no it is not acknowledging that it is an issue! I haven’t reproduced it myself on a browser.