Swollen battery, phone won't turn on

Hi there.

I have been having this problem for about 3 weeks : the battery life is really low (now it lasts less than a day without me using it very much, at least less than before). I use it a bit, the screen is in green (50% to 75% left), then I don’t use it for an hour and next time I want to use my phone it says I should charge it and the screen is orange (0% to 25% left). It has beeen more or less this way since I updated to the kola nut version (can’t remember the number).

I was thinking about posting here about this issue some of these days. And today I was only texting, with 50% to 75% battery left when my phone suddenly turned off and wouldn’t turn on again. I noticed the back of the phone was lifting. The battery is swollen and the phone won’t close. I can’t use the phone at all. I don’t know what happened, I didn’t drop it or anything.

What should I do? I suppose I should send the battery (or the whole phone?) back somewhere but I don’t know where nor how… This is very urgent.

I have the first FP, I bought it in may 2014 and received it in august 2014.

It looks like you have a bloated battery. Mail to support and they will tell you what you must do to get a replacement battery.

Hi Scarlett,

sorry to hear you have problems with your battery.
There has already been a discussion on this here.

First of all, using a bloated battery can be dangerous!

You should definitely contact Fairphone support by clicking on this link and tell them about your situation. Usually they react quite fast to this and send you a new battery. Probably this is a warranty case!

I don’t know if you have to send in the battery, but there is probably no need to send in the whole phone.

All the best

2 Likes

Make a picture of your battery and contact support immediatly. Have your phones serial number ready.
See this page for the full procedure:

Typically, you will just get a new battery send to you, you will not have to send in your old battery or phone. I had a swollen battery as well with similar symptoms and support was friendly and swift. Good Luck!

I have received the new battery. The phone is alive again :slight_smile:

1 Like