Supported SD card filesystems

There were some previous topics asking about this, but one got closed with no replies to it and the other concluded that exFAT didn’t work but didn’t actually answer the question in its title (“Sdcard supported filesystems?”). Also, these were both posted in #fairphone2help so they might not even be relevant to #software:fp-open.

I tried to format a micro‐SD card to ext4 and put that in my FP2, but Open doesn’t seem to recognise it, AFAICT, but TWRP reads it fine (and AFAICT / is already ext3 or 4, so FPOSO should be able to read the fs…?).

Anyway. Which file systems are supported under FP Open?

1 Like

Afaik the FS type for the SD card is specified in fstab. The OP of the closed topic commented on that here:

It isn’t clear whether you’ll need more changes, and whether persistent changes can be made after compilation, but maybe someone else can comment on that.

Ah, nice. I was thinking I’d go looking for an fstab (I’m a long time (Gentoo→Arch) Linux user), and it seems I’ve now at least made it readable, even if FPOSO won’t write to it. But I guess that’s an easily solved permissions issue. :+1:

Anyway, that tells me how to fix my own itch, but doesn’t answer the question I was setting out to find an answer for:

I think I figured out the answer to my question:

freso@koume ~> adb shell 'ls /system/xbin/mkfs.*'
/system/xbin/mkfs.ext2
/system/xbin/mkfs.vfat

So ext* (ext2, ext3, ext4) and vfat are supported out of the box. … Now I wonder whether the kernel itself has support for more filesystems and just the tools aren’t there. There’s not /proc/config{,.gz} file to snoop in, and lsmod doesn’t seem to actually list loaded kernel modules…

1 Like

Well, if you want to know which filesystems are supported by one Linux Kernel you have to simply cat the ‘filesystems’ file in /proc, this is the result I get on my FP OpenOS:

u0_a123@FP2:/ $ cat /proc/filesystems
nodev   sysfs
nodev   rootfs
nodev   bdev
nodev   proc
nodev   cgroup
nodev   tmpfs
nodev   debugfs
nodev   sockfs
nodev   pipefs
nodev   anon_inodefs
nodev   devpts
        ext3
        ext2
        ext4
nodev   ramfs
        vfat
        fuseblk
nodev   fuse
nodev   fusectl
nodev   selinuxfs
nodev   oprofilefs

So I assume you should at least be able to use ext* and vfat :slight_smile:
Bye!

1 Like

I’m not sure about that, but I think you’ll have to modify the fstab.qcom inside /boot, or your changes won’t survive a reboot. You’ll have to do this every time you update your phone (-> monthly ;))

Here is a nice tool to do this (however I didn’t yet have the time to try it ;))
You can - as described in README - get the boot.img from your phone, but the easier way is getting it from the update-package (should be inside the manual-versions from here).

I think I posted the contents of fstab.qcom elsewhere, but FTR, here is an example from FPOOS 16.10:

# Android fstab file.
# The filesystem that contains the filesystem checker binary (typically /system) cannot
# specify MF_CHECK, and must come before any filesystems that do specify MF_CHECK

#TODO: Add 'check' as fs_mgr_flags with data partition.
# Currently we dont have e2fsck compiled. So fs check would failed.

#<src>                                                <mnt_point>  <type>  <mnt_flags and options>                     <fs_mgr_flags>
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system         /system      ext4    ro,barrier=1,discard                                wait
/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/userdata       /data        ext4    nosuid,nodev,barrier=1,noauto_da_alloc,discard      wait,check,encryptable=footer
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host                          /storage/sdcard1   vfat    nosuid,nodev         wait,voldmanaged=sdcard1:auto,noemulatedsd
/devices/platform/xhci-hcd/usb*                       /storage/usbotg    vfat    nosuid,nodev  wait,voldmanaged=usbotg:auto 

So I think it’s pretty much self-explanatory. :wink:
[And this is - by the way - the reason why no other filesystems are supported for SD-Card and USB-OTG, I don’t know any way to specify to alternative filesystems in fstab, do you?]

exFAT: FPOOS doesn’t support exFAT, because they would have to pay licence fee to Microsoft. So exFAT is no “fair” filesystem. :wink:

1 Like

How about SD formatted with NTFS?

Did you read _any_thing of this thread? :smirk:

TL;DR: Won’t work.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.