Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

• This doesn’t seem to be related to the last update, which was on 27th Sept.
  • Further there are reports of people with the 0016.6 having the same issue
  • It could be an app update as it seems to occur even after a Safe mode start
  • It seems to cover a few carriers, O2 and Vodafone being big players

So maybe google has guffed up or one of their apps may have been hacked.

1 Like

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that I am experiencing the same issue. FP3 with vodafone Germany, approx. 2 years old.
I opened a ticket with fairphone but haven’t tried much else since I am not experienced with those issues and don’t feel good trying to do things in those 8 seconds. I hope they will resolve the issue soon.

1 Like

Hello,

Same here:

• Started yesterday while my phone was standing still charging
  • Provider: Orange (France)
  • Removing SIM card didn’t help

Note that phone calls work (I receive SMS too but can’t read them since reboot usually happens before the Messages app is able to start).

Do you also have “LocationServices hast stopped” before it reboots?

1 Like

I haven’t seen that (but I can’t swear it). If I read the discussion correctly, it happened after a first factory reset, right ?

1 Like

Generally it may be advisable for FP3 users to disable any Google updates, how would that mass communication be done.

I note under Google play store I have > Advanced > Modify System settings > Not allowed.

I’m still using Version 22.09.20 (100408-434869283) From April 2022

See

I’m still OK with EE in the UK

4 Likes

Hi there all FP users,

i am seeing the same issue since yesterday eve while charging!

No sec user. SIM out doesn´t help.
10 sec reboot upon unlock.
I can manage to reach Google service app, but grayed out option. Can´t disable it.

So i am awaiting help and chatting via browser with friends and stuff.

Greets from GER
Thomas

1 Like

Hey, chiming in here. I am also having these issues, since last Thursday (10-11-2022).
I managed to disable the Play Services, my phone is still on now :slight_smile:
I am on Play Services 22.44.14 and build number 0017.3.

1 Like

Are there any hints what to do if disableing Google Play Services ist greyed out?

Hey. Same issue here since this morning. Stock FP3, operator is Telenet (Belgium). I noticed my Google Play Services version is 22.44.16
Very thankful for this forum: was about to factory reset (and lose a bunch of important stuff), but then found this thread and read that it doesn’t fix the issue.
However: disable Google Play Services is also greyed out on my phone. Is there a way to change this?

1 Like

Nope, but you should be able to downgrade it: Settings-> Apps & notifications → See all apps → Google Play Services → Storage → Clear data.
This will remove all updates (I’m currently running 22.02)

3 Likes

THANKS! This made the trick. I’ve cleared all data of the Google Play Services reverted it back to 22.02. FP3 is now working fine.

3 Likes

Ah, I was too late, had already started the factory reset - yet to see what the damage is - it’s still downloading and updating my apps - over the network - so it will probably crap out. I will pause anything google play services relate.

@punkt @KarimR

How are you trying to do this? Do you have the option to FORCE STOP

And with the three dots (top-right) there’s an option to [Uninstall updates]

2 Likes

I’m also having the same issue Fairphone Support needs to get to this ASAP. First experienced ~ 15:02 UTC, Saturday, 12 November 2022.
I pressed try again and the phone was operational for around ~10seconds

How do you manage to realize this in just 10 secs? My FP3+ does not react this fast

Same here, mine shuts down before I can revert google play app

Have you tried in Safe mode with either the power plugged in or not, or a USB connected to a PC ~ maybe ??

After a lot of tries (the time to do it being only around 10 seconds and having to wait that list of apps is available, then having to scroll to google) I succeeded disabling Google play services, Google play store (+emptying the cache), Google (+emptying the cache) but I’m still locked in this damn boot loop. Did I miss something (I precise: I can’t empty the cache of the google play services since I disable it as it is no longer present in the app list…)

Multiple attempts. Pretend it’s a game. :wink:

3 Likes