Secondary User -> forces Factory Reset

I have the very same issue - at least the error message is exactly the same - but for me I can:

• use the phone just fine as my primary user
  • reproduce the crash 100% of the time by switching to any other user on the phone; after a few moments I get the error message “Factory data reset” and “restarting…”.

However:

• I have an FP3
  • for me it started about 2 weeks ago and I haven’t done anything that I wouldn’t normally do when the crash happened the first time.

To the questions of @yvmuell :

• my SIM card is maybe 4 months old; I just removed it but the issue stayed the same.
  • I use an SD card for many months, formatted with exfat by the “add SD card” wizard; I just ran chkdsk /R (locate bad sectors) but all looks good.
  • Not sure how to do a backup that could be restored after a factory reset, but if all else fails, the factory reset will likely be my only option.
  • I added the bug report shortcut to the power button menu for the primary user; I’m guessing the secondary user can’t be a developer. And now what?

The only observation that may or may not be helpful is that the phone was really getting sluggish in the month(s) before, especially when using the second user. I got “system UI is not responding” every once in a while. Note that this was annoying, but not a problem. I assume it’s got to do with me using memory heavy apps.

Any ideas what to try now?

Thanks!

Andreas

This seems to concurrent with the same issue on the latest A11 for the FP3 which is with the OS development team

1 Like

Did anyone try a factory reset?

Did it solve the problem with the secondary user?

I tryed to contact the support with this issue, but I always get the answer: oops something went wrong, try later.

1 Like

factory reset, was o.k. but then it started again.
I have NO second user there.

See

5 Likes

FYI: FP have responded on the Factory Reset Loop post confirming that they’re treating this issue as a priority (assuming that the issue on that thread is the same cause as the one here; which seems likely).

8 Likes

I have followed the suggestion made in this conversation: Stock fp3+ factory reset loop - #125 by amoun and disabled my Google Play Services. After that I can change user without problems. However, on my primary user I do get a lot of errors because a lot of apps (phone, texts, etc) do not work correctly without Google Play services.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Same problem for me with the 2nd user. No issues with the primary.
After deleting the 2nd I was not able to create a new one without reboot.

Hi pdw!
I will NEVER ever disable Google Play Services again.
I’ve a hardbricked galaxy s2 because of that…
(and also softbricked my FP2 but fortunately I was able to solve the problem in time)

Hello:

Now that it’s fixed for primary user (see the other post), does anyone try to reset a secondary user? Is the bug still there or not in this case?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

I tested to disable Google Pay Services in primary user. I could switch to secondary user without problems. I checked Google Play Services, they are activated and all seems fine.
Switching back to primary user, activating GPS again, and switching to secondary shows the same error as before.
So, activated GPS in primary user profile does not harm this user but the secondary one. Seems strange to me

1 Like

Same for me:

I’m writing this from a session with my secondary user after disabling Google Play Service.
This allowed me to access and back up my last data.

Enabling GPS for primary user is bringing back the Factory Reset as mentionned above.

Now I have the data, I might wait a bit longer for the fix…

The solution for the bootloop issue without a sec. User is to deinstall Play services updates not to deactivate the app completely. Did anyone test this?

Deinstall recent Google Play Services updates

1. Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications > See all XX apps
  2. Find Google Play Services
  3. Tap the 3-vertical-dot button in the top right corner
  4. Tap Uninstall Updates
  5. Tap OK
2 Likes

Tested right now

• Uninstalled the Google Play Services updates
  • Switched to secondary user

Seems to be fixed - well not fixed, but worked around, no reboot to factory reset

So, we now have to rely on Google to provide updated Google Play Services?

4 Likes

As far as I understood the faulty update was already taken back by google, so the problem is fixed now for those who weren’t struck by the update and those who were able to deinstall it.

3 Likes

I uninstalled the Google Play Services updates and it worked!
Thank you for providing us with this solution !

2 Likes

I can use the secondary user now, but every other day I get the notification “Google Play Services will only run when you update Google Play Services”

So, this problem is far from being solved

So this is a Google issue. Have you tried updating Google Play Services which is updated by the Google Play store usually.

As I have uninstalled the Google Play Store I only get the GP Services updated when I get a FOS update.

There has been a new release from Google for the Play Store which may have resolved it. You may want to check that.

Have you deactivated updates within the play store? If yes my understanding is that this is no longer needed and I think there is a new GServices version out, which is not the one that was causing the issues…

1 Like

The second account is working again for me after updating the Google Play Services app. The version I have is: 22.44.17 (150400-488410709).

Try to update this app via the Google Play Store and opening the secondary account after that.

The link to this app is:

1 Like

I actually updated Google play services, and this solved the 2nd user issue as well. No errors.

1 Like