Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

Yes that is not meant to be uninstalled. The problem is it has been updated via Google Play Store with an error.

Google Play Store updates sometimes twice a week.

With Google Play Store disabled or unistalled the only way Google Play Services will be updated is by an OTA Android update from Fairphone.

So with a faulty Google Play Services the options are

• use adb to replace the exisiting version with an older one.
  • Wait for Fairphone to issue an OTA with a new and fixed GP Services

The later takes quite a while as Android OS updates are licensed by Google and have to be testes . . . . quite a process

2 Likes

I understand there is no longer the need to deactivate the Play store? Else you can use the aurora store which can be downloaded from F-Droid Store.

2 Likes

You can re-enable Play Store via Settings → Apps & Notifications → App-Info / See all xxx apps → Google Play Store → Activate

As far as I understood, the danger is no more, if your phone works fine.

2 Likes

Hi, I am new at the forum, hopefully doing it well.

Thanks for the workaround, it fixed the problem on my FP3+ for this moment.
I had the problem on my second account and could fixe it from the main account by disabeling the Google Play Services, as you discribed. This disabled it for the whole phone, including other users and it worked.
I am also looking forward to an “official” solution.

Thanks to everybody helping to solve this issue!! Today I am very happy, because, now I have access to my photos on the second user, and this is the account for my job!!

1 Like

I must say that i am truly dissapointed in how Fairphone handles this issue.

My phone is unnusable for 5 days now. This has never happend over all the years i have used smartphones from various other manufacturers.

As far as i can tell this problem presist for a week now and still there is no solution but a workaround that relys on the unser beeing realy quick with his fingers or beeing tech-savvy.
There was no official statment about this issue on Fariphones website or social media.

Just a week ago i would have recommendet Fairphone to annyone who asks me and i frequently did so over the past year. But now i would advice everyone to stay away from it.

No matter how environmantally-friendly or ethical your phone is, it’s useless if the software won’t work.
The environmental benefits dissapear as soon a conventional phone is needed as a backup, which is the case for me right now.

I am truly dissapointed.

have you seen this?

I think its not needed to deaktivate the Google Play services or play store if you have deinstalled the updates. However as you have a second user, please see here as well

Edit: and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you have several official statements here in this topic, so I dont understand your disappointment. Fairphone was quite fast to sort this out with google and I think asking a user to quickly press 5 buttons or so is not that burdensome

2 Likes

Yes! Absolutely yes! My opinion too.

Exept i pressed the five buttons and it didn’t work.
I am still in the reboot loop.

Have I missed something?
Was there any official statement or information to customes outside this forum?

Unfortunately “quickly pressing 5 buttons” does not seem to work for many affected users! So the topic is far from being solved.

2 Likes

I looked hard and couldn’t find anything besides in this forum.

And that is not ‚official‘?

1 Like

Maybe, but I think 99% of the Fairphone users do not know it.

Because the most of them need only a running phone.

1 Like

Sure, but those users, who are having problems, looking for help are coming to the forum. Here is the communication, workaround and hope that this problem is fixed now by Google.

2 Likes

And you think that these then all install android studio to install / change something on the phone?
Do you install Microsoft visual studio when you buy a Windows laptop?

Sorry, but not everyone who uses a cell phone is a developer or a freak!

1 Like

I didn’t need ADB. All the step by step provided were enough.
→ Start the phone, enter sim pin but not android. Long press the share nearby in the drop-down menu, enter pin. Press deactivate. Boom no more reboot. Then go down, open play store link for Google play service, update. Boom problem solved forever.

There is not freaking thing there,

1 Like

Sorry, I do not understand … which drop down menu?

The drop-down menu on the lock screen. Swipe down on that screen and follow the instructions.

Thank you, this was what I tried first.
But I’m not able to do it within 8 to 10 seconds …

So let’s wait until the problem is solved by Fairphone / Google.

Till now my phone reboots like before.