Stock fp3(+) (factory reset) boot loop (workarounds in first post)

I’m affected as well. Did a factory reset, keeps running into the issue again when auto-updating Google Play Services. Switched to my old Phone until this is resolved.

bonjour,
2 téléphones de plus dans la liste des appareils touchés par le bug.
un FP3 et un FP3+ depuis hier soir.
France
Orange

Hello,
Same problem here, since November 4th. I’m glad to discover now that I’m not alone !
Starting in safe mode and factory reset did not solve this issue. I’m currently trying to access the settings before phone reboots, but didn’t succeed yet. It happens only a few seconds after unlocking.
Phone : FP3

@Pilo11 THANK YOU!!! WORKS!

1 Like

Also adding myself to the affacted Users.
Fp3 02 (Germany). Occured somewhere between 16 and 17 on Friday. It seems that the Problem isnt Limited to FP3 but also affects FP4 Phones, a friend of mine had the same Problem last Week, but it fixed itself after he simply rebooted the Phone, he didnt have a Problem since then.

2 Likes

Yesterday I got my FP3 working again following @Pilo11 's steps in this post.

I also disabled Google updates as @anon9989719 suggested in this post.

I note under Google play store I have > Advanced > Modify System settings > Not allowed.

My phone then worked for the rest of the evening. Over night I turned on flight mode as I do every night. Then in the morning I turned off flight mode and started browsing this thread to see whether there was any news regarding this issue. Within 5 minutes the reset loop started again.

I now reapplied @Pilo11 's and @anon9989719 's advice. In addition I also disabled Google Play Store background data usage as @Jonibhoni suggests in this post and disabled automatic updates in Google Play Store as described here.

Let’s see how long this fix lasts. Thank you all for your helpful contributions!

EDIT:
24 hours later my phone is still up and happy. In addition to the steps above I also completely deactivated Google Play Store in the App info (long press the Google Play Store icon and then press the circled i to access the App info).

4 Likes

Just to add :: I have removed Google Play Store completely via adb

1 Like

I have the same problem since this morning. Tried safe mode, didn’t help, so it wouldn’t be any app, I think.
I live in Sweden, Telenor is my service provider.

Hey, Could sb help me pls? Idk why but the last line doesnt work. It just shows me that there is sth wrong with it. What can I do?
adb install -d com.google.android.gms_22.02.21_(150408-428111784)-220221039_minAPI30(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(480dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

Are you running this command via the Windows command line?

If so, you’ll need to quote the filename: adb install -d "com.google.android.gms_22.02.21_(150408-428111784)-220221039_minAPI30(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(480dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

If using a different OS (e.g. Linux, MacOS), you’ll need to escape the brackets: adb install -d com.google.android.gms_22.02.21_\(150408-428111784\)-220221039_minAPI30\(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a\)\(480dpi\)_apkmirror.com.apk

Additionally ensure that the APK file is saved to your working directory.

Hope that’s some help.

2 Likes

Hello, 3rd command does not work for me either, I get the following error :

I’m not familiar with adb, it does not seem like a big deal but I don’t know how to fix it.
Any help would be much appreciated !

Try running in cmd instead of pwsh.
Also use this version of the command (quotes, no character escaping on brackets):
adb install -d "com.google.android.gms_22.02.21_(150408-428111784)-220221039_minAPI30(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(480dpi)_apkmirror.com.apk"

1 Like

Some news reagrding the issue returning once you temporarily fixed it:

Unfortunately deactivating background data was not enough! :neutral_face:
Well, seems clear, blocking mobile data (in background) doesn’t prevent updates over regular WiFi :laughing:.

So I guess in order to prevent Google Play Services to update to the buggy version again you either need to deactivate Play Store background data + turn off WiFi, …or outright deactivate Play Store altogether!

I updated my original post accordingly.

(Also relevant for you @KarimR @Sascha_B )

3 Likes

Hi, new to forum

Same pattern, restarted for no reason yesterday and then went to the reboot loop this morning.

FP3+ 2 years old
O2 Network, UK
No second user

my main concern is losing recent photos that were important to me.

Thanks @Jonibhoni . My phone just started boot looping again so I came to see if there was an update. By deactivating Google Play Store, do you mean disabling the app or completely uninstalling it?

EDIT: never mind, I re-read your original post and you clearly say to disable it. Thanks again!

Hi there, I have this problem since this morning in The Netherlands. I am trying to follow your tips. But can’t even get the USB debugging enabled. In your tutorial there is the option ‘developer options’ in ‘advanced’, but I don’t have that option. Then what to do? Can you please help? Thanks so much!!

AH! Not quite the whole picture as Google Play Store updates the default apps which are of course those that are invoked when using safe mode.

Hence

• If you can, use adb to remove and replace as mentioned above and
  • Disable or remove Google Play store so there are no future automatic updates
1 Like

To enable see

1 Like

Disabling is an option, but if you don’t download from google store then remove it.

2 Likes

dont have ‘build number’ either in ‘about phone’…