Stock Camera app - Flash bug

Stock camera app has a frustating bug: in low light condition even if flash was previously disabled It wake up … In that condition is impossible taking a low light photos with true color and obviously any kind of potrait shots without burning the subject’s eyes. Please fix in the next update.

Please note this is a community forum, not the Fairphone company (even though they may read along sometimes).

You may want to search the forum to see whether others had the same issue, and perhaps even found a workaround.

(If applicable, you could also add the issue to Known bugs & issues with Android 10.)

1 Like

This problem is already discussed in this topic.

Done, thanks, I’d forgotten this one!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I read the suggested topic but the problem is quite different and some users didn’t understand what does It really referr. So I contact directly Fairphone by opening a ticket. I’ll update this topic as soon as they’ll answer.

2 Likes

Hi! I should update this topic: this is the support’s answer I received so far:

" Thank you for contacting us. My name is ******* from the Fairphone support team and I’ll be your case manager, nice to meet you.
First of all, I would like to apologise for the late reply, we have been experiencing an increase of customer support requests due to the launch of our new Fairphone 3+ and the Android 10 release.
I am sincerely sorry for your inconvenience with the camera. With your help, I’ll do my best to solve the issue.
Please follow the steps below.

1. Update

Make sure to Update your Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+. We have fixed several issues with our latest update Fairphone OS v.054 (Build number 8901.3.A.0054.20200929)
Depending on your country and phone carrier, you might already be able to download this update or it might be available to you in a few weeks (future versions of the update will also include these fixes).

2. Camera Apps

To exclude the possibility of a corrupted third-party software, I recommend the following steps:

1. Reboot your device in Safe mode.
  2. Go to Settings → App & notifications → See all apps
  3. Look for the “Camera” app and click on it
  4. Click Permissions and make sure all permissions are allowed. If you see something in the denied list, click on it and select “Allow all the time”.
  5. Go back to the camera app settings
  6. Click Storage & cache → tap clear cache and tap clear storage. Keep in mind that clearing all the app data will clear all your camera settings. It will NOT delete your photos and videos but we always recommend to backup your phone, just in case.
  7. Test the default camera app
    Does the issue still happen even in safe mode after performing these steps?
    If you get an error message, send us a Screenshot(s).
    If you are still having issues, please, reboot your phone. Then download and test the following camera apps and let us know which one solves your issues:
    Open Camera
    A Better Camera

3. Backup & factory reset

If nothing has helped, I recommend performing a Factory Reset. This step will be needed in any case if we need to send your phone to our repair center.

4. Hardware pictures and details

If the issue is not solved, to proceed we will need to ask you to remove your display (read this article for correct instructions) and take the following pictures of your device:

Core Module

The inside of the phone (back and front) - Click here to see the example
The side of the phone, with the IMEI1 and IMEI2 clearly visible - Click here to see the example

Display Module

The back and front side of the module - Click here to see the example
Additionally we kindly ask you to:

1. Dial *#*#66#*#* as you dial a phone number: the Service Menu will appear.
  2. Select Service tests > Test Single.
  3. Scroll all the way down and select Firmware Version
  4. Again, scroll all the way down, take a Screenshot(s) and send it to us. Make sure to take a screenshot of all the details present.
    Once you performed all the previous steps, please, come back to us with your feedback.
    Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
    Have a wonderful day and stay safe!"

I really appreciated that answer: so I followed this suggestion. I discovered that “A berrer camera” and “Open camera” have not any issue regarding flashlight. I’m pretty sure that it is an application bug. We have to wait a future update.

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for this thread. Interestingly I have just got the same problem, I mean about two years after you had it! I’ve had my Fairphone for about two years.
I have FP3 and 11/8901.4.A.0017.3/gms
At the moment there is a reboot problem with my phone (and a lot of other’s as well), but I will try to fix it according to the instructions when the reboot problem is solved.