English

Static noise/hissing for wired headphones and on speaker

Hello Community,
I recently (under 2 weeks) got my first Fairphone (FP 3+) and realized after a while that there is a continuous hissing sound in the background when I use any audio. This occurs for YouTube, Spotify, VoIP, etc., and on wired headphones as well as on speaker. I tried it for three different headphones, one of which being the official FP headphones but the problem remains. Unfortunately, I do not have any Bluetooth speaker/headphone to test for that option. It immediately stops when I stop playing music but remains when I continue a video without sound.

I looked through the forum but could not find a recent thread with the exact same problem, only some older ones, not 100% incurring the same problem. I also already tried FP’s online fixing tool and contacted the support as well as an “angel” in the region closest to me.

Since it happens on both outlets, it might rather be a software problem than a hardware problem, but I really do not know. Do you have any ideas about what I can/should do?

Thanks for the help!
Chris

There’s pretty bad noise alright. I had a USB DAC and there seemed to be less noise but I went and lost it. I would like to install a different ROM and find out if that fixes it. What did the support people say?

I’m no expert but seeing as the problem is worse for me with low impedance headphones it could be that you could benefit from an impedance adapter or a gadget what makes IFI like the iematch. To restate, there is a variable hiss: it seems to rise and fall according to the volume of audio. A USB dongle may improve that but of course watch out that frequent unplugging doesn’t damage the port.

Just to say that I contacted the support about it and they had me send back the phone for replacement. However there is no change to my ears.

1 Like

I can confirm that the airline /buffer jack that came with the UE900(s) earphones clears up this problem perfectly. They only have a shop in the U.S. unfortunately. I was able to buy one from a musical equipment retailer in Ireland at a cost of €13. Shure sell a similar gadget but almost the same price as the IEMatch EarBuddy at about €25…

I had one of those gadgets and thought it would only be of use in airplanes to buffer against pops so I sold it. In fact it is of use in many smartphones, I would say.

The only other issue I have with this phone is excessive screen brightness at minimum level; combined, they indicate to me Fairphone are less concerned about the durablility of the human body than they are of electronics.

I have no problem with screen brightness in the dark, so your experience is a rarity and therefore doesn’t come under the Category of Phones before People :

How is it objectively possible to measure an acceptable light output to the common human. Maybe you have supper sensitive eyes, can you both ask someone else to assess your phone and find another person with an FP3 to see if it is any different.

But your fellow user has a problem with screen brightness in the dark, so your experience is a rarity following the same logic :wink: .

For what it’s worth, this has been mentioned before … Search results for 'fp3 minimum brightness' - Fairphone Community Forum

1 Like

A bit off topic but.

Just checking! Are you saying most people do have a problem ‘with screen brightness in the dark’ so my experience is a rarity?

No, I just reversed your logic to demonstrate how it seemed off to me.
“I don’t have your problem, so your problem must be rare” doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

Ah! I was basing my opinion on that I don’t recall many such queries on this forum, relative but I would have thought a reasonable selection of people with problems that report them. Maybe lots of|most users have this problem and don’t mention it :slight_smile: And I am the rare one.

Logic isn’t always binary and black and white probability. is also derived from logic. So my statement was based upon probability given the topics on this forum and the number of users on this forum.

Ok going well of topic so and it’s really about the brightness not my use of logic.

To clarify, the problem for me is twofold: the audio is too loud via the 3.5mm jack at minimum volume in quiet surroundings; and secondly, there is a lot of noise. According to my research, there seems to be a sensitivity mismatch between the sound source and the headphones; however, I own 5 pairs and the problem is always evident. This is quite a bad problem because the two problem feed into each other: high noise leads one to boost the volume in order to render certain sounds more audible. Not only does this cause discomfort but we may be less aware of environmental sounds that could be of concern, and could end up with worse hearing in time.

Now the problem is largely solved by the aforementioned buffer jack. The lack of a headset microphone is not a huge deal as one can usually just hold the phone’s microphone up to ones mouth but not having the headset buttons could be a problem. However, two TRRS splitters can in-theory be used to regain the combined functionality. They can be of another use: an external microphone can be patched in, for more appropriate directionality or better quality.