Starting to lose it over the "zero brightness" bug

edit: sorry for this little outburst, was really mad yesterday, trying to figure out a solution now!

Ok, so I am at a point where I am getting really frustrated. I just recieved my new FP2 last week, a replacement because my old one was so bugged. Now I spent half a day to set the new phone up, just to end up with a completly black screen yesterday and no idea what it could be. In the end I reset the whole phone via TWRP and went thru the whole setting up process again. Today I found out that itā€™s actually a bug and was able to fix it by blinding swiping the top of my phone for like 10 minutes (I realized its a bug, because I had this before with my old phone). Note that I just updated to 1.6.2 today, yesterday I had the bug with 1.5.1ā€¦
I went to bed 30 minutes ago and spent those 10 minutes panicking while trying to set my alarm clock for tomorrow morning. So instead of going back to bed I got up to search the forum for a solution, which I am tired of. I love the concept of this phone and I do understand that there are some issues that come with this kind of phone, but I read about this bug here before and still its not listed in the ā€œknown bugs listā€, neither do I find a good solution or work around for it without spending a long time browsing this forum, which is super frustrating!! I dont want to sit here searching this forum in fear I have to reset my phone again tomorrow when I get the bug again. Help would be very much appreciated!

It is tagged as blackscreen in the forum.

Software workaround:

Hardware workaround:

2 Likes

hi, thanks for your response! I think I couldnā€™t find the problem Iā€™m having under #blackscreen, because itā€™s also used for the sensor problem, which doensā€™t turn the screen back on after calls. I had that one before and that seems to be a hardware issue, while the problem Iā€™m currently having seems to be a software issue, as it does not persist over factory resets. (edit: ok, I just realized that this makes no sense, as I obviously just described how it did persist over a hardreset, the only thing it did was setting the brightness back to a medium level)

In this case I turned the brightness to 0 (or 1, whatever the lowest level is called) myself and instead of going very dim it just went black, which is a huge problem since this persists over reboots. Like I said, my solution was to blindly swipe the screen for ~10min until I got lucky and set the brightness up again.

As I understand it the adp solution only sets the brightness back up but doensā€™t do any permanent changes, right?

Is there a way to change the brightness levels, like say 0=20/255? I could imagine that for some reason my phone thinks that 10/255=0/255, thus turning the screen completely black

Oh, I see. For me that bug was solved by the first software update and I never have it again. It was a problem with the autobrightness feature with some screen misconfiguration on the system.

I honestly donā€™t know how to upper the lowest brightness level (e.g. make 0/255 become 10/255), but Iā€™ll search for it today later, ok?

Are you on the latest FP OS release (1.6.x)?

I installed xposed today and used gravitybox to set the brightness-level 1 (the lowest one) to 21 instead of 20 (for some reason it goes from 20-80 in gb). It seemed to work and I was able to set the brightness to the lowest level, but after I changed it back to ā€˜20ā€™ (to check I found the solution) it didnā€™t black out as well, so I am not so sure if this had any influenceā€¦ But at least itā€™s working for now for some reasonā€¦

Iā€™m running FP OS 1.6.2, the bug occurred once before and once after the updateā€¦ Thanks again for your help!

No problem! Glad you solved it somehow, :slight_smile:

I had the same problem until I figured out I was using an old boot.img for rooting. Problem disappeared after update and appeared again later (I did not realize it was always happening after flashing the boot.img).

I was always following this guide: [HOWTO] Root with Superuser (for FP OS with GMS) but using a repository url mentioned in an earlier version of this topic so it kept downloading the image for version 1.3.6. After removing all files and starting over it works again. Iā€™m not sure if I should be happy that the phone was even booting with the wrong image or not because this issue caused a lot of frustration :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.