đŸ‡©đŸ‡Ș 🇬🇧 Someone please point me to the latest FP4 camera app

Heureka!

Greetings from Berlin, where it’s a whopping 6 degrees Celsius today. Brrrrr!

So I just got an FP4, degoogled it, broke out in tears over picture quality. Then I found a link on here that pointed to the new camera APK, but sadly, that file is no longer up.

Could someone please be so kind and point me to the latest version?

Thanks a bunch,

D.

Willkommen im Fairphone Forum.

Was genau meinst Du mit ‘degoogled it’? Wie bist Du vorgegangen? Das Kamera-Update ist Teil der Orignalsoftware von Fairphone, kommt also mit dem aktuellen Betriebssystem.

Danke fĂŒr die schnelle Antwort!

Ich hab iodeOS aufgespielt. Hauptgrund, warum ich ĂŒberhaupt hier bin.

Das ist ja was ganz anderes als zu degooglen :wink:

Die APK alleine wird Dir dann aber nicht reichen, da fehlt ja einiges mehr unter der Haube. Ob das so ĂŒberhaupt ĂŒbertragbar ist, entzieht sich meiner Kenntnis.

Siehe z.B. hier:

1 Like

Ich habe in den Foren hier irgendwo gelesen, dass es funktioniert. Und die APK hat auch schon die Runde gemacht. Viele Leute kaufen speziell das FP, um es zu de-googeln, und da wĂ€re es ungeschickt von FP, die Äpp nicht herauszugeben, denn die Kamera ist eine Zumutung, war sie vor der neuen App auch schon. Das liegt auch nicht an anderen, freien Apps, sondern daran, dass die Parameter nicht richtig ĂŒbergeben werden - ein Fehler in der ursprĂŒnglichen Implementierung . Ich habe hier noch ein degoogled Pixel 4a auf /e/OS rumliegen, da klappt das einwandfrei.

Aber irgendjemand wird mir sicher bald den entsprechenden Link senden.

Edit:
PS. Hab den Link erst spĂ€ter gesehen. Das sind ja keine dollen Aussichten. Ich installiere mal das APK - sehen wir was passiert. Mehr Schrauberei ist mir allerdings zu heiss, ich hatte zu Cyanomod Zeiten genug GerĂ€te gebrickt
 Sollte sich keine Lösung zeigen, werde ich das GerĂ€t eben wieder verkaufen. Schade, denn es ist ein ansonsten spannendes Konzept.

Hast Du denn gelesen, was ich Dir verlinkt habe?

1 Like

Siehe oben. VIELEN DANK!

Warum muss es denn unbedingt die neue Fairphone Kamera App sein? Schon davor waren ja OpenCamera oder einer der GCam-Ports als Alternative ĂŒblich.

Es gibt hier andernorts einen thread darĂŒber, wie furchtbar schlecht das funktioniert. Dem stimme ich zu. Wie gesagt, es gibt wohl eine Schnittstellendefinition fĂŒr die Übergabe von Kamera-Spezifikationen an die Apps (was ja auch Sinn macht), und da werden die Parameter, die die Kamera-Apps brauchen, um richtig zu funktionieren nicht korrekt ĂŒbergeben. Da die Apps mit anderen Handy-Kameras gut funktionieren, liegt es offenbar nicht an den Apps.

Ganz konkret - die Kamera stellt im Nahbereich NIE scharf, es braucht ca. 1 Sekunde zwischen Auslösen und Abspeichern, die Farben sind kacke, und eine Art Lens Correction scheint es auch nicht zu geben, so dass Ultraweit-Fotos aussehen wie mit dem fish eye fotografiert.

Ich bin wegen der Kamera vor 14 Jahren zu Apple gewechselt, aber mittlerweile sind mir Datenkraken mehr ein Dorn im Auge als eine Steinzeit-BildqualitÀt.

GCam ports laufen auf dem FP4 einwandfrei.

Das ist gut zu wissen, auch wenn es sich nicht mit meinen Erfahrungen deckt.

Momentan bspw. bin ich auf Open Camera, kann aber nur bis max 12MP Auflösung einstellen. Die beworbenen 48MP wollen sich mir schlichtweg nicht offenbaren.

Was mache ich falsch?

Screenshot-20240419-180236-Open-Camera

See:

We will most likely never get access to that outside of the stock camera app.

Thanks for your input, Razem

I read most of that thread, but it gets a bit too technical for me at times. The thing I don’t understand though is the business rationale behind NOT providing a proper interface. Doing so would sell more devices, wouldn’t it, ESPECIALLY with a phone that aims at a niche market of tinkerers, anti-consumerist, freedom of big corporate people.

What I am reading here is utterly disappointing. I did my research, I read about the camera suckage, but then stopped when I read that a new, ever-so-awesome camera app has hit the market. I thought “Splendid, Fairphone fixed their mess already.”

This whole drama is in fact less of a case for developers as it is a case for the lawyers, as a promised feature is not delivered. When all camera apps deliver all specs on all degoogled OSs with all other phones but not the PF4, it’s pretty evident what’s going on here. In Germany, selling a thing that doesn’t deliver promised features factually voids the sales contract (“Sachmangel”). That is especially the case foe murena customers, who bought the phone with stock /e/OS, and never got what they paid for.

Last thing I was dreaming of when I switched from the i- to the Fairphone was that I’d be looking at code and shell commands again. Last time I had to do that was in the last century. :wink:

(shrugs, grabs pin to remove simcard
)

PS.

Somewhere else on this board I read that someone just manually threw out as many google packages as possible without breaking the phone. He did that on an FP5, because seemingly it’s a way to kept the camera in all its splendor. I would totally something like that on a normal computer, but I don’t want to end up with $500 brick, even if it’s fairly sourced.

I dont think that this applies, because you are just not using the stock system and I dont think anyone promised you full 48MP with thirsd party ROMs or Apps

And Murena sells it with the marketing promise to get full 48MP pixel output? Any Proof? Else its just like this, still 48MP are used

There’s also a similar topic about removing google apps on a FP4:

And as long as you keep the bootloader unlocked the probability of hard bricking the device is very low (at least based on all reports I’ve seen on this forum).

2 Likes

In additon there is a debloat wiki covering this and more

2 Likes

@Volker Thanks for your input, Volker. I might give it a try these days. I had my fair share of bricklaying, and as I progress in age, I steer away from heart- and jailbreaks.

@yvmuell : Thanks, I wasn’t aware that MP and MP are actually two different things. I did wonder though how such a sudden jump in density was technically possible, including processing the much bigger files. So truth is, I never bought a 12 megapixel camera in the first place. Good to know.

It’s a Sachmangel nevertheless. FP is a hardware company, delivering data to standardized interfaces. Just like Lenovo is not <Lenovo+Microsoft>. No chance in court, hands down.

48"MP" or 12 megapixels - if the camera module takes forever to communicate with the layer above it, it’s simply broken software, curtesy of Fairphone. @Razem pointed out further up that the interface standard has been around since 2009 or so.

And see, this is not even hardware that needs to be replaced, like when Volkswagen calls back a few thousand cars because they sold their customers failing hardware. No, this is just code, made once, and then elegantly dispatached to all phones in existance, at next to zero expense.

More importantly: What message is FP sending out to market? “Yeah, we sold you a phone with a factually useless camera, but hey, you can get another camera for cheap, and you can put it in yourself, but it’s not going to fix the problem WE created. Oh, and thank you for your business!”

The result is, that customers will get rid of these devices earlier than necessary and turn back to the Samsungs and Huwais, and out with the phone goes all the the idealism that made them buy the FP in the first pace. That way, FP creates the exact opposite of what it preaches.

People buy FP for idealistic reasons, they voluntarily pay more for the very specs they’d get with competitors, and of all vendors it should be companies like FP that take their customer’s need for data souvereignty and privacy seriously. Buying an ethical phone and then run the most unethical of all OSs on it is hogwash.

And aside from idealism and marketing: nobody in their right mind will go near a company with such a customer service attitude.

search a laywer and discuss with FPs legal department.

1 Like

It’s not worth my time, but it shure would motivate the business to get their act together.

I will try the above steps and if that won’t help, that phone can make someone else unhappy. :wink: