Some Fairphone 6 ideas

Its up to you to consider it an attack or an offer. I’m not responsible when others dont like my answer.

1 Like

That’s actually a nice idea. I’m still unhappy with the industry’s trend to remove the headphonejacks from smartphones, but a second USB C port may establish a nice middleground for charging and using wired headphones simultaneously.

2 Likes

…would enable us to connect two chargers or both connectors of the Fairphone charger at a time and charge the phone in half the time! :clown_face:

Sorry, just kidding. I know that one of them could be limited to not allow charging.

1 Like

You do realize they’re not working for Fairphone, right? They’re just a volunteer moderating this forum. Only the accounts with a big blue F over their profile picture are Fairphone employees.

On that note I’d appreciate it if both of you could continue your meta discussion about how to have discussions in this forum in some other thread and continue with constructive FP6 ideas/wishes in this topic. Thanks. :see_no_evil:

12 Likes

Couldn’t find anything official that says the chip used in the FP5 is the best one they could get with 5 years support. This is worth publishing if true as it might boost sales.

I’m a fan of flip phones so maybe a foldable flip design for the 6. Most men don’t have purses to keep their phones in so it’s nice to have something more pocketable. A modular flip phone that runs on Calyx is something I would buy.

In the list of reviews for FP5, you can find an article from Ars technica. You will there find information about the SoC like the fact it is the most powerful of Qualcomm’s industrial line.

7 Likes

Well, all of the Snapdragon SoCs (Qualcomm’s Smartphone line that basically every other phone uses) were out of the question, since none of those have 5 years of support. I think they recently struck a deal with Google to increase support to 4 years, but I’m pretty sure that was after the FP5s planning phase. So basically there arebadically only the IoT lines targeting industrial applications to choose from - and not all of those provide all the functionality needed for a Smartphone.

I guess ‘best’ is always relative, but you can check out Qualcomm’s website and compare their IoT chips to the QCM6490 yourself. (Also take into account that the planning phase for the FP5 started 1.5 years ago. So I suppose the choice also depends a bit on how much information about future chip releases Qualcomm was willing to disclose to Fairphone at that time.)

What’s interesting is, that Qualcomm announced a longevity program this July. I wonder whether and how this will affect the FP6, although I haven’t checked wether and which of the chips included in this program would be suitable for smartphones.

3 Likes

Sorry but you just don‘t get the idea behind Fairphone. The goal is not to build a fancy, top notch, shiny, blinky, polka dot bikini smartphone.

The focus is on fair mining, fair production, long support and sustainability. And as they are a small company, they don‘‚ have completely free choice between all possible hardware options on the market. Some manufacturers just say no, because Fairphone won‘t buy millions of parts.

So arguing now, that the coming FP5 is not the new top tier phone on the market ist just wrong.

17 Likes

My daily driver is a Oneplus 5T, a phone released in 2017. I have no performance issue what so ever. Performance race for phones now is the same as computers: intense high res 3D games, and I don’t play any of these.

I also have a 2014 Oneplus One around that we just gave to my daughter for listening to music in the school bus and call us if there is no bus. It does that job well and lasts the day as she does not use it during class.

I don’t think I need a better processor than the FP5’s one.

4 Likes

We need a Fairphone MINI… 5.5" display or 5" display…
OLED or IPS, whatever you prefer…

Because people with small hands can better handle this kind of devices…

3 Likes

Tiny and modular is hard.

I’d like to see some thought and research if this would be beneficial. Because by the time you’d reuse your battery, it is also worn. So if you get a new FP5, you know it has a pristine battery. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, I’ve been reading some developments on battery efficiency.

A rolling face can easily be interpreted as such. If you didn’t meant that, don’t use the rolling face emoji.

As for the topic, it is still too early, but at some point I’d like to see if a modular foldable is feasible. Because a foldable is essentially a smartphone, a tablet, and almost a laptop in one.

1 Like

I agree for a smaller FP6.
But IPS screens are so 2013. For a smaller phone OLED is more practical, as it just takes less space.

3 Likes

Here, here! :slight_smile: Smaller size Smartphone

2 Likes

That’s why I’s suggest both display technologies… OLED is fine with the very low power consumtion but I am afraid of the longevity (burn in) :confused:

I would like an Fairphone 5 mini version.
Though a smaller size comes with trade offs ofcourse but i would still like to have sd-card and decent water resistance.

1 Like

I don’t believe that’s realistic. There’s a whole thread going into this wish:

In the end statistics from other manufacturers show that smaller devices are much less popular in terms of sales. Since Fairphone is a small phone company already, I’m not sure whether they would be able to finance and support two concurrent models.

1 Like

It would be fantastic, if it would be possible to develop a smartphone that can be equipped with a small (e.g. 5") and a large (e.g. 6.2") display. Though I guess the hassle would be the software/os, as those displays would have different specifications, that would need to be supported.
Well, if it could be done, the larger display might be constructed in a way, that the phone-body could be “inserted” in a kind of slot (fixed with screws of course).
This way both parties would be satisfied, the ones looking for a small phone for small hands and the ones looking for a phone to watch/stream movies/videos on a large “screen”.

But, as I said; my guess is, that this is technically not feasible right now. (Maybe Fairphone 10?)

Usually the layout of all the other components heavily depends on the screen’s size. Or how do you imagine that to work? - Just leaving a bunch of dead space in the phone when using the bigger display?

5 Likes

And one statement that Shiftphones made some time ago:

The market heads for bigger, so no one would produce a smaller sceen…

4 Likes

@AndreasChris
From the layout it would be simply a small sized phone where the small display would be attached as usual. The large display on the other hand would not just be a display, but a complete body with a compartment, where the smaller phone (maybe without back-cover) fits in and can be fixed with screws.
Like inserting the battery in your phone.

So, constructionwise, this should be no rocket science; although the phone would most likely be a bit thicker.