Some Fairphone 6 ideas

Tiny and modular is hard.

I’d like to see some thought and research if this would be beneficial. Because by the time you’d reuse your battery, it is also worn. So if you get a new FP5, you know it has a pristine battery. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, I’ve been reading some developments on battery efficiency.

A rolling face can easily be interpreted as such. If you didn’t meant that, don’t use the rolling face emoji.

As for the topic, it is still too early, but at some point I’d like to see if a modular foldable is feasible. Because a foldable is essentially a smartphone, a tablet, and almost a laptop in one.

1 Like

I agree for a smaller FP6.
But IPS screens are so 2013. For a smaller phone OLED is more practical, as it just takes less space.

3 Likes

Here, here! :slight_smile: Smaller size Smartphone

2 Likes

That’s why I’s suggest both display technologies… OLED is fine with the very low power consumtion but I am afraid of the longevity (burn in) :confused:

I would like an Fairphone 5 mini version.
Though a smaller size comes with trade offs ofcourse but i would still like to have sd-card and decent water resistance.

1 Like

I don’t believe that’s realistic. There’s a whole thread going into this wish:

In the end statistics from other manufacturers show that smaller devices are much less popular in terms of sales. Since Fairphone is a small phone company already, I’m not sure whether they would be able to finance and support two concurrent models.

1 Like

It would be fantastic, if it would be possible to develop a smartphone that can be equipped with a small (e.g. 5") and a large (e.g. 6.2") display. Though I guess the hassle would be the software/os, as those displays would have different specifications, that would need to be supported.
Well, if it could be done, the larger display might be constructed in a way, that the phone-body could be “inserted” in a kind of slot (fixed with screws of course).
This way both parties would be satisfied, the ones looking for a small phone for small hands and the ones looking for a phone to watch/stream movies/videos on a large “screen”.

But, as I said; my guess is, that this is technically not feasible right now. (Maybe Fairphone 10?)

Usually the layout of all the other components heavily depends on the screen’s size. Or how do you imagine that to work? - Just leaving a bunch of dead space in the phone when using the bigger display?

5 Likes

And one statement that Shiftphones made some time ago:

The market heads for bigger, so no one would produce a smaller sceen…

4 Likes

@AndreasChris
From the layout it would be simply a small sized phone where the small display would be attached as usual. The large display on the other hand would not just be a display, but a complete body with a compartment, where the smaller phone (maybe without back-cover) fits in and can be fixed with screws.
Like inserting the battery in your phone.

So, constructionwise, this should be no rocket science; although the phone would most likely be a bit thicker.

That sounds vaguely familiar. IIRC there has been at least one project that had the idea to build a laptop chassis without actual cpu, mainboard and storage, just screen, keyboard and probably connection ports, where you would insert your smartphone to bring the laptop “alive”.

Don’t remember the name unfortunately. All I can find now is close but not exactly that (or maybe it’s them but they found their vision can’t become reality and had to go for something more feasible):
https://nexdock.com/

But then, I guess for the one large/one small display scenario it might just be easier to produce two different devices that are otherwise identical filling the extra space with a larger battery plus some spacers.

And maybe a 3.5mm aux plug? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’d hate to see unnecessary restrictions in terms of technology in the bigger version due to the harsher space requirements of the smaller edition though.

I do understand the wish for a smaller phone (I have it myself), but I think it’s unreasonable to expect it of Fairphone. They/we want to change the industry, and that will not be helped by creating a marginally adopted little brother of an already marginally adopted bigger brother. It will only drive cost up without any true benefit except for those of us who get a smaller phone in our little grubby hands.

It’s not going to happen, I’m afraid - and I can live with it, though I hope the phones don’t keep growing bigger and bigger.

8 Likes

Not only OLED screens are able to burn in. That can happen to IPS also. Both only on excessive usage on non moved screen content. That is very unlikely.
I still use an old Plasma TV from 2006 at home for gaming (switch times and contrast is way better than LED TVs). Even on games with HUD, like shooters, there is no burn in so far.
OLED screens are developed to be used on mobile devices at least for ten years now. I am confident the FP5 screen will last quite well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Center screen should degrade quite uniformly, but the buttons on the bottom and some of the symbols at the top have burned into more than one of my devices and were visible as differently colored shapes when watching a video for example.
Same goes for my parents’ TV and the logos of channels they watch frequently.

My Laptop on the other hand also has an OLED screen and is doing fine so far. So I’m not saying it can’t work out.

Maybe those nice 90s screensavers will find some use again soon. :smiley:

Since in the meantime some clever engineers have found out that an unused component (display) can be turned off I doubt this :wink:

2 Likes

Oh so that’s why my old batteries always ran out that quickly… /s

(Turns out my old Phones had that feature too. ;P)

A modular folding phone would be pretty neat. The main issue (for me) with folding phones is that the foldable screen is so fragile, and can’t be protected by (reasonably thick) glass to protect it. Though making a phone with such a failure-prone and expensive screen would surely defeat the point of Fairphone.

More realistically, I’d like a screen without any sort of hole for the selfie camera. OLED screen technology is getting to a point where it can be hidden behind, with a lower resolution portion to let light through when needed.

Offering component upgrades would also be nice, though I know that’s never been a large interest for FP. Maybe some users could tackle the less involved ones like making a bigger battery (probably one that would integrate a custom back cover) or custom module replacements (replace the speaker with aux, drill not included). I like how Framework has modules that are designed for that sort of thing, though that obviously doesn’t work when size is much more important.

1 Like

I’d love a 3rd and even a 4th camera for zoom X3 and X10 like the Samsung Galaxy Ultra series. (EDIT : with a good software support of the photo treatment !)

A foldable screen would be interesting but seing how a niche the foldable market is, it’s sure it will never be for the FP6, even if it were modularly possible. Especially knowing they’ll probably start working for the FP6 soon, if they’re not already doing it, seing how long it takes to engineer a new phone :smirk:

2 Likes

Hi,

Some years ago, Razor had an interesting concept called Project Linda (https://www.razer.com/concepts/project-linda). It was basically a laptop shell in which you could slip in your smartphone and use it as a processor and touchpad. IMHO, considering the strength of modern processors and the processing needs of an average user, this would be a great way to reduce electronic waste, and it would be very convenient if implemented properly.
One of the main complaints I’ve read online about the project was the fact that it couldn’t guarantee compatibility with future razor phones and processing advances. Considering the fairphone philosophy, this doesn’t seem to be a problem.
Do you guys think a laptop powered by a fairphone would actually have enough interested buyers to make it viable, or am I too enthusiastic :smile:

2 Likes