Some Fairphone 6 ideas

Sorry but you just donā€˜t get the idea behind Fairphone. The goal is not to build a fancy, top notch, shiny, blinky, polka dot bikini smartphone.

The focus is on fair mining, fair production, long support and sustainability. And as they are a small company, they donā€˜ā€š have completely free choice between all possible hardware options on the market. Some manufacturers just say no, because Fairphone wonā€˜t buy millions of parts.

So arguing now, that the coming FP5 is not the new top tier phone on the market ist just wrong.

17 Likes

My daily driver is a Oneplus 5T, a phone released in 2017. I have no performance issue what so ever. Performance race for phones now is the same as computers: intense high res 3D games, and I donā€™t play any of these.

I also have a 2014 Oneplus One around that we just gave to my daughter for listening to music in the school bus and call us if there is no bus. It does that job well and lasts the day as she does not use it during class.

I donā€™t think I need a better processor than the FP5ā€™s one.

4 Likes

We need a Fairphone MINIā€¦ 5.5" display or 5" displayā€¦
OLED or IPS, whatever you preferā€¦

Because people with small hands can better handle this kind of devicesā€¦

3 Likes

Tiny and modular is hard.

Iā€™d like to see some thought and research if this would be beneficial. Because by the time youā€™d reuse your battery, it is also worn. So if you get a new FP5, you know it has a pristine battery. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, Iā€™ve been reading some developments on battery efficiency.

A rolling face can easily be interpreted as such. If you didnā€™t meant that, donā€™t use the rolling face emoji.

As for the topic, it is still too early, but at some point Iā€™d like to see if a modular foldable is feasible. Because a foldable is essentially a smartphone, a tablet, and almost a laptop in one.

1 Like

I agree for a smaller FP6.
But IPS screens are so 2013. For a smaller phone OLED is more practical, as it just takes less space.

3 Likes

Here, here! :slight_smile: Smaller size Smartphone

2 Likes

Thatā€™s why Iā€™s suggest both display technologiesā€¦ OLED is fine with the very low power consumtion but I am afraid of the longevity (burn in) :confused:

I would like an Fairphone 5 mini version.
Though a smaller size comes with trade offs ofcourse but i would still like to have sd-card and decent water resistance.

1 Like

I donā€™t believe thatā€™s realistic. Thereā€™s a whole thread going into this wish:

In the end statistics from other manufacturers show that smaller devices are much less popular in terms of sales. Since Fairphone is a small phone company already, Iā€™m not sure whether they would be able to finance and support two concurrent models.

1 Like

It would be fantastic, if it would be possible to develop a smartphone that can be equipped with a small (e.g. 5") and a large (e.g. 6.2") display. Though I guess the hassle would be the software/os, as those displays would have different specifications, that would need to be supported.
Well, if it could be done, the larger display might be constructed in a way, that the phone-body could be ā€œinsertedā€ in a kind of slot (fixed with screws of course).
This way both parties would be satisfied, the ones looking for a small phone for small hands and the ones looking for a phone to watch/stream movies/videos on a large ā€œscreenā€.

But, as I said; my guess is, that this is technically not feasible right now. (Maybe Fairphone 10?)

Usually the layout of all the other components heavily depends on the screenā€™s size. Or how do you imagine that to work? - Just leaving a bunch of dead space in the phone when using the bigger display?

5 Likes

And one statement that Shiftphones made some time ago:

The market heads for bigger, so no one would produce a smaller sceenā€¦

4 Likes

@AndreasChris
From the layout it would be simply a small sized phone where the small display would be attached as usual. The large display on the other hand would not just be a display, but a complete body with a compartment, where the smaller phone (maybe without back-cover) fits in and can be fixed with screws.
Like inserting the battery in your phone.

So, constructionwise, this should be no rocket science; although the phone would most likely be a bit thicker.

That sounds vaguely familiar. IIRC there has been at least one project that had the idea to build a laptop chassis without actual cpu, mainboard and storage, just screen, keyboard and probably connection ports, where you would insert your smartphone to bring the laptop ā€œaliveā€.

Donā€™t remember the name unfortunately. All I can find now is close but not exactly that (or maybe itā€™s them but they found their vision canā€™t become reality and had to go for something more feasible):
https://nexdock.com/

But then, I guess for the one large/one small display scenario it might just be easier to produce two different devices that are otherwise identical filling the extra space with a larger battery plus some spacers.

And maybe a 3.5mm aux plug? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™d hate to see unnecessary restrictions in terms of technology in the bigger version due to the harsher space requirements of the smaller edition though.

I do understand the wish for a smaller phone (I have it myself), but I think itā€™s unreasonable to expect it of Fairphone. They/we want to change the industry, and that will not be helped by creating a marginally adopted little brother of an already marginally adopted bigger brother. It will only drive cost up without any true benefit except for those of us who get a smaller phone in our little grubby hands.

Itā€™s not going to happen, Iā€™m afraid - and I can live with it, though I hope the phones donā€™t keep growing bigger and bigger.

8 Likes

Not only OLED screens are able to burn in. That can happen to IPS also. Both only on excessive usage on non moved screen content. That is very unlikely.
I still use an old Plasma TV from 2006 at home for gaming (switch times and contrast is way better than LED TVs). Even on games with HUD, like shooters, there is no burn in so far.
OLED screens are developed to be used on mobile devices at least for ten years now. I am confident the FP5 screen will last quite well.

3 Likes

I wouldnā€™t be so sure about that. Center screen should degrade quite uniformly, but the buttons on the bottom and some of the symbols at the top have burned into more than one of my devices and were visible as differently colored shapes when watching a video for example.
Same goes for my parentsā€™ TV and the logos of channels they watch frequently.

My Laptop on the other hand also has an OLED screen and is doing fine so far. So Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t work out.

Maybe those nice 90s screensavers will find some use again soon. :smiley:

Since in the meantime some clever engineers have found out that an unused component (display) can be turned off I doubt this :wink:

2 Likes

Oh so thatā€™s why my old batteries always ran out that quicklyā€¦ /s

(Turns out my old Phones had that feature too. ;P)