Software update Kola Nut 1.8

To be fair to the FP team, they were trying to give us the KitKat look and feel that we’ve been asking for :smile:

1 Like

just to be clear, 1.6 should have the old launcher installed.

I understand. But if I want to give the 1.8 another chance with the old look, I´d prefer to have the original version from a source that I trust as this launcher can basically access everything on my phone.

@Frederik_Zimmermann - good idea I think. The source code is freely available here and just needs compiling I believe. Incidentally I believe that’s all the person (LuLeBe) did that put this on the play store to be honest.

1 Like

Individual Home Screens: I read often that I only have to draw an icon to the right side and the home screen appears. But it is only Space (and only one) for a new (fourth) home screen, not the old five screens with the individual icons set. I think this issue should be communicate very first. I, like most of the other users, did the update without any backup, because for the last updates it wasn’t necessary (except the repartition, that’s clear). And I’m not sure that the backup inludes the icons on the home screens.
Except that issue, the update run a bit bumpy but as far as I can see, all apps are working. I also had the issue with the play store update (“working in background”) but rerun the updater before reading this solution. The reinstall of the playstore seemed to restart while setting up the individual settings and after then I had to update a lot of apps (mostly google related, but adobe as well for ex.) manually in the playstore, and some via the notification bar on the top.
There also appeared a message, that new data was found and by tapping on this message I started the restore area for earlier backups. But because I did no new backup I ignored that, I didn’t want to restore an outdated setup.
The missing fifth homescreen might be a reason to return to the old launcher. The size of the icons is not bad, but I think also that they seemed to be a bit “fuzzy”.

Roland

Update, regarding the following post: Yes, I found it today in the morning. Yesterday, I placed one icon on the fourth screen, and tried to drag it to the right(!) side to get a fifth sceen, but nothing appeared. Today while I’m starting to build a new homescreen I suddenly got the fifth sceen, so Yes, it works.

1 Like

I think you first have to put at least one app on the fourth screen, to be able to use the fifth screen. @Chris_R can you confirm this?

Yeah I believe that’s the case

1 Like

Is the unified storage included in the 1.8 update?
If not, should I install the storage upgrader before or after 1.8?
My device is a FP1

@gamlao - the storage upgrade is not included in the update so if you wanted that you would need to do the storage upgrade first (you don’t have to do it, but if at any point you want to do the storage update you would have to go back to v1.6 first, so better to do it now if you can)

1 Like

Installed the new update.
Really really don’t like the big icons. They look unsharp, and look dumb.
Please fix ASAP
looking forward to a straightforward solution.
Not up to the techy solution proposed.

Thanks

See @Marco’s post in another thread.

You could install the Fairphone Launcher from Google Play.

Just decided to back to cherry
Hoping for a icon fix
Do you agree they look ugly?

I don’t really mind and think it is just a matter of getting accustomed.

If you just don’t like the icons, you could actually install any launcher. Look at this thread to see popular choices.

1 Like

since this is a public place I keep it as civil as I can under the circumstances. No, your advice does not work. I have a meeting tomorrow for which it would be best if I had the fairyphone working again or I wll have to waste another two or three hours tomorrow morning to get all the papers together again. I’ve now been sitting here for 8 hours trying to get this fixed and it still doesn’t work. If you know this was going to happen, and it has happened in the past, have you not considered foreseeing this problem? The problem will be solved after the meeting anyway because this not-smart-phone will go in the garbage. There, my public post. For my true feelings read the mails I sent direct to support.

The issue with the installation was the android asop keyboard.

It would constantly crash and try to restart. I killed the process, deleted all the data and deactivated it. Now the google installer works and does not show the “updater is installing in background” notice.

I will get the google apps now, lets see^^

Not happy with the new look default 3 homescreens and bigger icons at all. how can I return to v1.6

also, and I believe this is an important issue. The people hangin here, it’s what they do, they are tecchies, nerds, geeks, pros in communication, software coders and whatnot. I am a worker, I need to work to make a living, I don’t have the time to play around with my smartphone. Do you seriously believe Samsung would sell tens of millions of phones if their software was as bad as yours? There you go. My last one was a Samsung, it always worked. Samsung has millions of users but its complaint department does relatively have far less complaints. So Friday I will have one again. Why? Because I need a smartphone that works, not one where I need to waste a whole night getting it to work again.

2 Likes

sorry this wasn’t the case and i have updated, but I am not happy with the result

Plus o
you have less space on your screen. I can not put as much icons on my central screen as before…

I will have to scroll more and memorize a new appearance, because the one I am used to does not fit.

Is it possible to set the icon size in some way?

1 Like