Software update: FP4.TP29.C.0101.20240121 - Big Camera Update

Funny that there hasnt been many complains of FP5 users, using the camera ui since several months now withou any manual/tutorial.

They not exist only under stop motion. how those grid lines help with picture composition, no idea, normal grid tips e.g. here

https://www.fuersteneck-fotografie.de/2017/03/12/zwei-einfache-regeln-für-bessere-fotos-mit-jeder-kamera/

At the end such would be used in my eyes with a bid of photography and picture composition knowledge, nad not for snapshots, so no idea such a detailed tutorial would be feasible to ask from FP…

Well, obviously FP5 users are much better users, more intelligent and less annoying… :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, some people don’t “complain”, but then most people only fire up the camera app and shoot. They don’t care about features, settings and whatnot (and this is not meant pejoratively, my own family does it).
As for me, over a year ago, after buying my FP4, I had already asked about some manual or at least a short description of the camera GUI. Guess I’m that kind of person. :man_shrugging:

Hello
Using Fairphone 4 under android 13 et waiting… any news about the planning of this update ?

The update is released, so what exactly are you waiting for?

Every time i want to make update, nothing happen.
The number of build stay FP4.TP25.C.095.20231219

Who ist your Internet provider? Maybe he didn’t release the update yet.

ok it’s Proximus (Belgium)

I don’t understand this. Does the update go through my operator?
2024-02-28T23:00:00Z → update is running now :slight_smile:

That’s interesting. I came on here to report that while I’ve not had anything as drastic as that happen since the update, my battery does seem to be draining more quickly - I’m needing to charge it about once every 24 hours rather than every 36-48. Obviously still not bad for a phone battery but the excellent battery was one of the many features of FP4 that I really liked after upgrading from FP2.

It’s impossible to be sure but I also have the distinct impression of poor (screen-on) battery life, but only over the last few days since when I let the Play store update everything. Also this issue is apparently back

1 Like

16:9 is a wide screen, but not the wider screen I was trying to refer to in my post. If you go to Pro settings in Camera Mode you can select Full Screen. This makes the picture the same shape as the Fairphone 4 screen. This aspect ratio is much closer to the 21:9 ratio that is used for Cinemascope movies and anamorphic styles (and which I can get on my Sigma FP camera). If it’s available as a format in Pro camera, surely it wouldn’t be that hard to make it available in Movie mode? then we could shoot Cinemascope style movies - which I really enjoy…

2 Likes

Video modes are usually much more limited than still modes as they rely on hardware acceleration. The video coprocessors usually only support a limited number of video encoding modes.

2 Likes

My camera crashes when I zoom in since the update. Had anyone else had this problem? If I tap the zoom button on screen it’s ok, but pinching my fingers crashes the app every time.
To clarify, this only happens in video mode, even when not recording.

It won’t help with your issue, but I just tried zooming with my fingers in video mode (both with and without actually recording) and no crash happened.

Same here, no crash. :man_shrugging:

I suppose you’ve already tried to delete data/cache of your camera app?

1 Like

I’ve deleted the cache yes, but not the data. I wondered if the data was linked to actual photo and video files. What ‘data’ does that actually clear?

I’m very sure that deleting data will not delete your photos!
But still - better safe than sorry - so make you sure you backup your photos and videos first (while a backup is always a good idea as a device might fail at any time…).

5 Likes

Quick update on the camera app staying black. I’ve taken the plunge to replace the camera module and it worked perfectly. So yes while I don’t agree that the app should require both cameras to work to start (please fix this), I do think this update is quite impressive speedwise. Also because my wideangle never worked I’m discovering it for the first time in 2 years! Bonus: I now have a partially working spare camera module.

4 Likes

I am experiencing the same with a FP4, build number FP4.TP29.C.0101.20240121

Battery drains very fast, during the night and during the day, especially when I’m not using it.
It also gets very warm. I am afraid this is both ruining the battery and also I’m scared of an eventual melt/small explosion like we saw with Samsung a couple of years back.

This should be an emergency, imo.

I have considered that I have a malicious crypto miner inside my phone, but I don’t know how to confirm that.

@Lidwien I guess it wasn’t the cycles ahah

EDIT: I’ve opened a ticket with support

1 Like

I moved your post out of the FP5 topic

1 Like