Software update: FP4.TP29.C.0101.20240121 - Big Camera Update

No you must open a ticket.

Not without data loss as I assume your bootloader is locked. I would use another Cam App for the time being

4 Likes

I honestly donā€™t notice any difference. So I have to keep a distance of about 15cm in front of my object to make a ā€œmacroā€. I think the built-in macro function refers to a shutter speed, aperture and ISO level. I donā€™t think the scene profiles have any effect on focus etc. Otherwise the camera produces usable pictures. But you shouldnā€™t expect it to produce images like a 35mm sensor. What I miss is a bokeh mode. That would be really cool. But thatā€™s not a criticism, but rather a wish :slight_smile:

That sounds like you are using the wrong lens :thinking:

The wide-angle lens is meant for macro shots and you can almost touch an object with that one and still get a sharp image.

5 Likes

Not to be a smart ass, but Iā€™ve never seen a Marco lens that is wide-angle. That would be a contradiction in terms. I think you get better results if you understand that itā€™s not really a macro. Take a picture in high pixel mode and crop it. This usually gives you better results and also no strong distortion due to the wide-angle curvature.

1 Like

The FP5 has a super macro mode that explicitly ask you to use wide angle when you get closer to an object

3 Likes

Why? You can buy those, and extension tubes let you mix and match however you want :man_shrugging:
Macro is more about minimum focus distance rather than focal length, what lense you use comes down to what effect you want to achieve.

You do you, Iā€™m only telling you that the wide-angle has a shorter focus distance.
I donā€™t expect great ā€œmacroā€ photos, thatā€™s what proper lenses are for, but if I need a quick close-up of something Iā€™d rather have a little distortion than the noise trying to squeeze 48mp out of such a little sensor produces.

2 Likes

Rio could you add itā€™s not just you? I donā€™t know where to add the ticket but require them to act. Maybe they can also just monitor this?

Creating a ticket can be done here: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

4 Likes

Yes Iā€™ve mentioned that I wasnā€™t the only one :slight_smile:

Letā€™s see what theyā€™ll say. Btw, do you have or had any hardware issues with your camera? Both lenses still working for example? Maybe they did something during camera app init that fails when one of the two doesnā€™t work. Iā€™ve had my wide angle lens break 1 day after I got the phone :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not that Iā€™m aware off, but not a photo pro so figure it was okay. Iā€™ll create a ticket too then!

Update: created a ticket but also used the troubleshooter and service menu, where the wide angle camera failed. This probably causes the issue as I assume the new update somehow uses it, and cannot access it. I wasnt even aware it existed or wasnā€™t working, so I hope it can be resolved quickly.

Link to troubleshooter:

4 Likes

As someone who has criticised the camera a lot in the past, I just wanted to say, that I appreciate that resources have been channelled into trying to improve it.
These are significant upgrades to usability, but so far Iā€™m not seeing much improvement in the images. They still have a processed look about them in any situation other than perfect lighting.
On a positive note, I really like the full screen option (apologies if it was there already and I missed it). Obviously itā€™s a cropped sensor, which leads me to askā€¦ would it be possible to have this in movie mode as well please? then weā€™d be able to shoot wide-screen movies, which would be great fun
thanks, t

Yeah I think this is the case. They assume that both cameras work and let the app fail if one of them doesnā€™t. Which is funky because with each camera you double the chances of something breaking.

1 Like

One question,. Does this update only improve the preinstalled camera app or does it improve functions that help to improve other apps (like ā€œcameraā€ from simple tools) as well?

Is 16:9 not widescreen?

Steven

Hi all, I donā€™t seem to have any way to get the the new camera update. Iā€™m on Android 13 and the system says itā€™s up to date. (Security update Dec 2023)

Iā€™ve tried powering off and on and looking for updates again.

Any tips on how to get it? Or when itā€™ll come through? Perhaps itā€™s only available for Android 11 & 12 at the mo, as the email instructions only mentioned them.
Thanks

Welcome to the community forum :slight_smile:

@aaronoscar I can imagine two possible reasons ā€“ your provider or your operating system. Updates donā€™t get released at the same time for all providers (phone networks). And the update we are talking about here is exclusively for Fairphone OS (the operating system Fairphone ships its devices with), but not for custom ROMs like /e/OS, CalyxOS, LineageOS etc.

@panther99 This update is exclusively for the preinstalled camera app of Fairphone OS, it wonā€™t affect any third party camera apps.

1 Like

Can you explain to be what the phone networkā€™s connection is with the situation please? From my understanding the update comes through Fairphone so any updates the OS looks for will be direct from them rather than depending on my network provider.
Even without a SIM surely the phone would continue to receive updates?

Thanks

Yes, this is a bit hard to grasp, but your provider steps in for reasons called ā€œensuring compatibility with its networkā€. You might speed up the update by swapping the sim for one from a different provider.

3 Likes

So in case you donā€™t have a sim card for whatever reason you will never get the update?

You will still get the update without SIM

1 Like