Software update: FP4.FP4K.A.179.20230116

Hi everyone,

A new software update based on Android 11 is available to some Fairphone 4 users.

Software Version: FP4.FP4K.A.179.20230116
Security Patch Level: 5th of January, 2023

List of changes:

• Security Patch Level: 5th of January, 2023

Please note:

This update is available only to users who are still on Android 11. The release of Android 12 was quite recent and there are various reasons why you might still be on Android 11. You may receive the Android 12 upgrade in the next few days.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

10 Likes

Security update already available for people on Orange France and Orange Belgium.

1 Like

Might the FP team consider offering the patched Android 11 upgrade as a downgrade option for those of us who aren’t particularly happy with the Android 12 upgrade?
Don’t know if this is technically possible, but if…

You would have to install manually, loose all data and could not relock the bootloader

3 Likes

Dear! After update I have total audio malfunction. No sound whatsoever.
I am surprised not to have found this thread exploded, can’t believe mine is the only one that happened to?

Is this coming to the Android 12 users as well? I have Android 12 and I have a ‘December’ patch level

1 Like

I guess more likely the next we see is 5th Feb…

I don’t know how, but suddenly, a second ago, I receive an update FP4K.A.0179 Security level: 5 January 2023! :smiley: I did send a message to support, this weekend. Not sure if they have had a hand in this.

2 Likes

Yes, I have received this update also today. I have 2 SIMs from 2 Dutch providers.
Update went smooth.

In the Netherlands on the KPN network. I just received the A11 security patch of Jan 5th…
For us on KPN it means we will have to wait more for A12…

1 Like

My Fairphone 4 keeps offering me the Android 12 update, but I would like to install the Android 11 update (FP4.FP4K.A.179.20230116). Has anyone had the same problem and managed to ignore the Android 12 update? Of course, the Android 11 update must be approved by the provider. I guess that should be the case by now (provider: Deutsche Telekom).

1 Like

You will not get the Android 11 update when you are offered the Android 12 upgrade. The A11 is only for those that could not receive the A12 upgrade yet.

3 Likes

@yvmuell: That helps me, thank you very much for the clarification! :+1:

So there is now way zo Update from
FP4.FP4I.A.175 to FP4.FP4K.A.179
if i want to stay on Android 11 for now, and got the message that i can Upgrade to Android 12 (but do not want to)?

If you want to stay on A11 you have to stick to the version installed, unless you want to take the drawback to do a manual install which means to unlock the bootloader, loose all data as this will cause a factory reset and a possible risk to brick the phone when re-locking the bootloader or have an unnlocked bootloader…also, when you are not offered the version via the updater its most likely not intended for you/your provider and I guess not tested for your provider, so who knows what issues it will bring?

Thanks for the answer.
Well, i know the issues which Android 12 has:

Thats why i would like to stay on Android 11.
And it would have been lovely to got the latest Android 11 Version, be on January 2023 security patch level.

I think i have to wait for the next Android 12 Version.
Or maybe buy another phone.
FP4 is making to much trouble :-/

If someone, who is supposed to stay on A11, checks their logs (before fully updating) and gets you the URL of the ota.zip, that’s theoretically possible.

Would I recommend it?
Absolutely not.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.