Software Update: Fairphone 4 FP3W.A.0128.20220516

Given there some sort of partnership between Fairphone and Vodafone, it seems uncanny that maybe half of such complaints are centred around Vodafone and Germany.

Maybe it’s that 60% of FP owners are in Germany using Vodafone ~ but then how come Vodafone don’t pick this up before forwarding ???

Well bad QA on Vodafone’s side probably.

They skipped A.0116 completely (at least seems that way if the other topics are to be believed) and jumped straight into A.0128, apparently without enough testing beforehand :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You just have so set the APN to default. Then everything works again.

2 Likes

No, I can’t confirm that. I changed the APN type from “default,supl,xcap” to “default” and saw no change in behavior.
Why do you have to deal with it as a normal user? Then something is generally wrong in Fairphone policy.

Steven

As frustrating as this is: As has been pointed out before this seems to be a problem that happens almost exclusively with Vodafone given the samples in this forum.
So I’d say the QA problem is on their end. Have you tried contacting their support?
Claiming that this is a general FP4 QA problem is just not true. We would see a lot more different reports in that case, not only select operators - mostly Vodafone.

4 Likes

So you manually changed an entry in the APN? My understanding was to reset to default, using the 3 dots (whatever rjat really means) … Just asking to get a better understanding overall what the issue is and how others can hopefjlly solve it, not to say what you did was wrong…

I just find it strange that this problem occurred right after the firmware update to version A.128. I guess that’s no coincidence.

For sure its no a coincidence as updates are rolled out after a provider tested/approved it, as you can see for previous update that was not rolled out to Vodafone SIM cards. I think for the FP3 existed at least one update that was only made for Vodafone…

2 Likes

Is that how it works? So I would have to contact Otelo and point out the problem?

1 Like

Did you see my previous comment about resetting to default (just asking as we write several posts in parralel)

When you read previous update threads officially opened by FP, you will find this provider thing explicitly mentioned…

I had after the update also the problem that i had no mobile data connection with vodafone/Germany. Handy-Konfigurator: Surf- & Mail-Einstellungen helped me to get this fixed. Now everything seems to work again.

4 Likes

Unfortunately does not work for Otelo.
“Mobile number not valid.”

Thats not what i meant. I say set all settig to default by resetting the APN profil. Not to change some setting inside the profil.

1 Like

4 Likes

It works. Many thanks for your help. I would never have figured it out.

3 Likes

Hi,

I installed the Fairphone 4 update earlier this week and have been having connection issues since then, it keeps disconnecting from the mobile network (GiffGaff in the UK). No issue with this before the update. I’ve tried turning off VoLTE and restarting, it doesn’t seem to help. Has anyone had similar issues, any fixes I could try?

Welcome to the community :wave:

Have you tried resetting the APN settings (Settings → Network and Internet → SIMs → [Name of your provider] → Access point names → “Reset to default”) as mentioned above? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi :wave: thanks for your reply!

I can’t find an option to “Reset to default” - when I go to ‘Access point names’ I can select giffgaff but all of the options on the next menu are greyed out. When I do change some of the Network and Internet settings, e.g. choosing the network rather than allowing the phone to ‘Automatically select network’, it seems to help the phone connect with the mobile network for a while but then loses reception again.

Don’t select anything. Go to Access point names and click on the three vertical dots at the top right corner. Then you should see “Reset to default”.

3 Likes

You’ll have to use the three dot menu on the top right :

grafik

Edit: Too slow :smirk:

2 Likes