Software update Cherry 1.6

@Sevin_Keiler - I’ve moved your comments into a different topic about the cherry update. You will probably find your answers in here about reinstalling the app store, but you should also check out this article here and here

Hi there! So finally I researched into the FP and need to update for the unified memory… and it turns out that I never properly fetched an update! I’m at 1.1 and the Fairphone updater says 1.6 is available, but when I click on “Install new Version” it doesn’t do anything. I get another notification that there is an update avaiable, and then it leads me to the same update info screen.

Is the 1.1 updater working properly? How can I update my FP? Thanks

Hi Rick!
I still have this problem. I have 279 megabytes free internal memory, a really fast Wi-Fi, and battery loaded. I have followed the instructions but nothing helps. Installation will not start, whatever I do. JusSi

1 Like

Hey Gregariousf,
did you try to press the “Download/Instal” button very often and fast?
Just try to tap as fast and often you can, until anything starts to download …

It is a known bug of this updater, that this soft-button is very in-responsive.
In Version 1.6 there is a updated updater-App.

Please report back, if it is working now! Cheers, Robert

1 Like

Hi, just tried it, I see it download, but it doesn’t start any other action afterwards. The button says “install new version”.

1 Like

Any other ideas? I really want to get past this 1GB barrier!

You should read this entire post :smiley: Quickly tapping ‘Download’ multiple times should help.

Hi,

I successfully updated my FairPhone to 1.6, but it went wrong reinstalling the Google Apps. After placing the widget on the homescreen and tapping it, it starts to download Google Apps, but when this is complete I got the error message “an error occured during download”. I retried it a second time, but without success.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Toon

Hi,

I recommend you to try a different wifi network, this might help:)

thx for sharing. It has been very helpful for me.

1 Like

Hello. I’m having some trouble installing Gapps, I get the error 1004 message. Tried 5 different WiFi networks, and tried to erase memory of fair phone updater app (is that what reflash app means?)
I googled and read on this forum and on other forums as well.
Any help would be appreciated
Thx

Hi Rick! After resetting the phone the 1.6 installer finally works, but now I got a message that the downloaded file is invalid (“invalid file download”). I looked at the instruction for manual installation, but it seems to be too difficult for me. Invalid file download - why, what does this mean? JusSi

@Jussi_Silvonen have you been able to solve your problem?

I am understanding you are still on 1.5 and want to upgrade to 1.6?
It is possible the file got “corrupted” while being downloaded. Are you able to restart the Download?

After three months with Cherry Pie I just reset my Fairphone to Chestnut. Here’s why:

• Immediately after the update I had realized that the battery indicator seemed to have gotten worse instead of better. I had hoped this would fix itself after a few loading cycles. At first, it seemed like it did, but recently it got worse again. Not only did the battery still deplete within minutes after the 15%-warning. Last night I realized something else: I had switched my phone off with 56% battery life left. Then, because I had forgotten something, I switched it on again a few minutes later - and the battery suddenly had dropped to 25%. Yes, the old 14%-glitch (with battery life being stuck there for hours) wasn’t perfect, either - but at least it gave me enough time to get my battery reloaded somewhere before it was empty. (It almost felt like a secret reserve.) So, I hope I’m back with that after having downgraded the OS.

• Soon after the update I had realized, that sometimes when I got my phone out of the pocket, I had to reactivate the SIM card, just like the phone had restarted itself. I first took it as a coincidence, but actually this had never happended in all the months before Cherry Pie. Now it happens about once every few days. It took me some time to connect the dots, but I’m quite sure that this has something to do with all the reports about the touch screen being too sensitive and “ghost tappings”. It wasn’t as bad for me as some people wrote here. I could still use the phone pretty well. But being disconnected for hours without noticing because the phone had seemingly restarted itself in my pocket is, of course, totally unacceptable.

• The only real improvement with Cherry Pie seems to have been the unified storage. But I didn’t use that, because I had re-partinioned my phone from the get-go. So, I had no trouble getting back to Chestnut, either.

• One other tiny thing that I had realized earlier, but wasn’t sure about. Didin’t the Wi-Fi icon in the status bar use to be blue? Or did I remember wrong? No, I didn’t. Being back with Chestnut the ugly grey is gone and the icon is blue again as it should be.

So, there you have it. Three months with Cherry Pie - not convinced!

Maybe the next update will make things better again. I sure hope, Fairphone takes care of those battery and touch screen issues. But - being an early adopter, so far - this might be a lesson for me. I might wait a few weeks and read all those postings here first, once the next update arrives.

I moved 3 posts to an existing topic: Software version Hazelnut 1.7

I had the ‘no connection’ error with GPlay after the update to 1.6 (Cherry) for a couple of months, tried to solve it by all intructions found on forums, but nope. Didn’t bother too much, because all Apps kept working, but after a while more and more wanted to be updated. Then someone’s response elsewhere suggested to use the 1mobile-appstore. I did, and this solved all, it even updated GPlay and GServices, which now do again what they’re meant to. I’m still cautious, but it 1mobile seems safe until now. I’d like to read experiences of others with this App+store.

Hi, what resolution did you get in the end? I’m having similar issues at the moment.

Hi DoraXP, I had to send back my Fairphone! But within a few days, I got a new one, installed the update and since then everything works perfectly fine. To send back your phone, contact the support-team, they’ll tell you what you have to do. Good luck!

1 Like

the update to the 1.6 unifyed also messed with my SD card and deleted
files and put new ones there. not something I was expecting. you could
have written that somewhere, luckily I had a backup of the SD card.