Software update Cherry 1.6

Hi @joe

At first I updated the “Fairphone Updater”-app. Then I updated with the default “Backup & Restore”-app. Afterwards, I opened the new “Fairphone Updater”-app (with the fancy new layout, which I like a lot!) and updated to Cherry 1.6 (maybe I did this twice, not sure). And at last, I ran the storage updater.

Kind regards

I got that “no command” icon while I was trying to fit my case the other day. :stuck_out_tongue:
I did like you did: removed the battery then put it back.

Hopefully I won’t have any issue with the update. :stuck_out_tongue:

@ZoidbergForPresident The “no command” screen is the recovery mode. In recovery mode you can press the power button to get a menu where you should be able to select to reboot the device - that saves you even taking the battery out.

You enter recovery mode when you press the power on with the volume up button also depressed - which is probably what happened when you tried to get your phone fitted in its case. Certainly nothing to panic you :wink:

Installing the update and GApps worked flawlessly here.
Going to try to do the partition thingy in a moment.

Just to be sure: the App store is the same as Google Play, de standard Android repository, right? I used to calling programs programs and repositories repositories. Please, let me know if I am missing something that is fundamentally different from these old terms.

Isn’t this a problem for users who do not wish to enable the Google App store? Is there another way to repair the AOSP keyboard?

Note that there are good reasons not to use the Google App Store: it is full of non-free software. An alternative is the software repository F-Droid.

Hi Fairphoners,

do you know anything about huge display-problems after updating? I updated this afternoon, and since then my display goes mad. Restart sometimes helps for a few minutes, but than it starts again. Am I the only one with this problem? Do you have any explanation?

Thanks and best regards
Isabelle

I had the same problem with the ASOP keyboard with an earlier update. Re-installing the ASOP keyboard did the trick. Alternatively you can switch to swift key or so.

Cheers!

Hi @Isabelle_demey

Is your fairphone plugged into a charger when the screen going crazy?

Hi!

No it isn’t. The screen is going crazy without being charged. Do you have an idea what happend?

Hi, I have done the full package today, 1.6, fine, then backup, fine, then Memory…fine, then put back appstore, fine, then TRIED to re-install the BACKUP…nothing happend. A backup from 22.6 worked fine, but the one from 3 hours ago…nothing. What can I do? Main problem is the data from the Calender. Pls help. Thanks in advance, Martin

Unified storage partition thingy worked out fine as well. Gotta restore my home screens and all settings again as those weren’t backed up, which is a bit of a pain, but mostly my own fault.

Perhaps important to mention that I have a first batch phone which I had manually repartitioned into 6 and 7 GB partitions previously. This doesn’t appear to have been any problem.

1 Like

I did an update, reinstall app-store, followed by upgrade partition.
When I connect the phone to the computer (Linux) the internal storage isn’t recognised, while the sd-card is connecting perfect.
Now I’m wondering if the internal storage is recognised on a computer with another os?

I have same display Problems too. I tried now to update manually, but the problems are still here… I think it could be a Bug…

You know, the development of an application deserves retribution sometimes. :confused:

Hi Lidwien,
My experience from FP1.3 and earlier: Connecting to my Linux computer only the “Phone Storage” partition (SD0) was recognised, not “Internal Storage” and not (slightly annoying) my external SD card (SD1). Connected to my office pc (Win 7), “Phone Storage” and external SD were both recogniosed, but not “Internal Storage”.

Right now I’m performing the 1.6 update and will continue with the repartitioning update. Will report back on the consequences.

EDIT: Ooops, noticed that the repartitioning update isn’t available OTA yet. OK, I’ll wait with that part for a while - off abroad shortly and don’t want to take any risks.
Would be interesting to hear from other users who have repartitioned - do you have problems accessing repartitioned/unified storage when connected to a computer via USB?
If so, I’ll probably wait for a fix. Haven’t had any trouble with the original partition (700MB still free in “Internal Storage”).
Oh, and by the way - upgrading to 1.6 was uneventful and everything seems to work just fine. Reminder for those using Xposed Installer: you’ll need to reinstall it if you want its various apps to run, e.g. GravityBox.

1 Like

At least I’m not alone… My FP is nearly unusable at the moment. I submitted a request to the support team and will keep you informed as soon as I get an answer.

1 Like

Hi everybody,
I recieved the 2nd batch fairphone a few weeks ago and now tried to update to Cherry 1.6. it seems to work while the update is installing, but I was asked the fourth time now to update to Cherry 1.6. AGAIN after already having installed the Update. Does anybody have the same issue? Shall I install it manually?
Cheers,
Ann-Cathrin

Hi Isabelle,

Sorry to hear this, this bug is new for me. Can you be a bit more precise please? Do you use a first or second batch Fairphone? Did you upgrade from 1.3?

It would be great if you could make a video of it, so I can pass it on to the development team.

Cheers

Hi Robin,

This is due the fact you did not allowed Superuser acces after the update installed. Good you found the solution yourself, but there is also a support article on our site that explains this: https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201654943--Resting-Android-robot-No-Command-Black-screen-on-reboot

1 Like

Hi there,
after the 5th time, it worked out :slight_smile:

2 Likes