Software Update: 8901.4.A.0016.6

Well I don’t think the problems are down to the miners and factory manufacturers at all.

I think it’s the design and software that Fairphone are responsible for the ‘well being’ of the phone.

So much so that when my daughter wanted one, due to the human rights issue, I bought it as I had no faith in that it would work well enough for her. Then I bought another to ensure I could help her with any problems she had.

The first was water damage which I mitigatde and that again is not down to the miners of factory worked i.e not a fairtrade issue ~ a design issue

The second was failure to work well in her driving situation. Again a Fairphone issue not a fairtrade one.

So my daughter gave up the Fairphone and her partner bought her an iPhone which she is happy with, in that it works, and disappointed in her experience with the Fairphone.

So my suspicions were well founded in that sense, but personally I have no problems so I am surprised that it works for me but not surprised at my daughter’s dumping it.

1 Like

Bluetooth Audio Controls are not working which many users in this thread pointed out.

1 Like

Reporting a minor nuance: shortcuts on homescreen (such as Chrome bookmarks and Drive file shorcuts) disappear after the update. A minor hurdle, since I have added those again, but unnecessary hassle nevertheless.

Hi Solarius,

it’s a well known problem…

Ciao,
Max

1 Like

Recognized an additional new “feature”: When dialling from the car (using the panel in the car), the phone diales not once, but twice, trying to set two connections to the called number, not only one. So… basically, the phone has some issues using it as a phone. And still no update.

Have you contacted support @ fairphone, as there is no indication they are aware of your issue

1 Like

I do have an BT issue with my FP3 (latest OS installed):
I do notice it especially if my BT headphones or my Car BT is connected to the Fairphone 3 and a second device as my workphone or my laptop. Periodically there is an interruption of the connection. To me it seems that the FP is sending kind of a heartbeat via BT every x seconds - which will interrupt the connection.

I tested it in connecting the same BT headphones to my work phone and my laptop simultaniously - and there is no interruption. So it must be related to the FP.

I think, that is a joke, isn’t it? It is not my issue.

But you reported that issue, didn’t you?

1 Like

MikeSixPointEight, don’t take it as a lack of respect. It just means you’re the first one to complain about that particular problem and nobody knows if it is only a problem of yours, of ten people or of a thousand people.

This being said, I am as disappointed as you are by Fairphone behavior (not only by the bug itself).

They disappeared a month and a half ago leaving a significant part of their customer base without any idea about when the problem will be solved.

I can also see an issue with customer relationship, not only with the phone software.

Ciao,
Max

Really. So… the bluetooth-connectivity-doesn’t-work-because-FP-lacks-a-proper-quality-control-issue is what I experience all alone. There’s been no-one describing such a behavior of his/her/their phone, too. I guess, you should do some reading.

Don’t tell me about: “lack of respect” because the part of the sentence before the “but” is usually bs.

Why would I. The issue with the bluetooth conectivity has already been reported, FP is aware of it. There also has been an engagement of a fairphone employee in another thread (mainly about the nfc-issue, on a sideline also on the bluetooth related issue).

The issue is known. There’s no update, neither for the nfc-related issues, nor for the bluetooth-issues. I start to think, history with FP repeats itself and FP just does not care. Fun fact here: after just about two years of usage, my phone shows increasing symptoms of grewing older. It becomes slower and slower, I have issues with the microphone, with the cameras and with network-connectivity. Likely the thing doesn’t survive the time till the next update. Fits the experiences I had with the FP2. No phone survived very much longer than 2.5 years.

Because you did, strange question. I never read before something about double phone calls. So your issue is new and if nobody is aware of it, nobody can fix it. Quite simple.

1 Like

That is, why I asked someone with a skoda to test it. As far as I remember: The member did not notice the same behaviour as I did. My car is somewhat 4 years older than his, so it is not unlikely, that there’s an issue with the car system (although I do not believe it, but I’m not a believer…). Why report that special and not otherwise observed isssue and probably (yeah… very likely not) bind working hours? That makes no sense.

For me: The whole handling of the bt-issue is just disappointing. With a device using software, durability, longlivity etc always comes with working software support.

So, as far as I understand, we were talking about different things, so I apologize for my: “usually bs”.

You give me a hard time to understand you. First you are complaining about the bug not fixed, now you are telling it’s not necessary :open_mouth:.

1 Like

I do not understand. I simply refer to two things: a) the bt-issue as a whole issue and b) the issues occuring at the same time with a) like the strange behaviour of the phone system which likely though not surely are linked to a).

So, for me, the bt-issue as a whole caused my experience with the car-phone. I do not have any (hard enough) evidence to bring that special issue to fairphone, though. If there had been any confirmation of what I recognized, I would have reported that additional issue to FP to hopefully help them narrowing down whatever they have broken. But there is no confirmation. So no report of that special issue.

The bt-issue as a whole (with or without my additional experience with my cars phone system) is a f***-u* as it comes. I was referring to that in my above answer, whereas you seem to have been referring to the special issue with my car phone system. Thats a possible source of a misunderstanding.

You did get me wrong, btw. If the issues with the car phone system has been caused by the issue with the bluetooth connectivity, I’d like to see that solved by FP asap.

There is a workaround for the too long period Fairphone needs to solve this problem : a cable. It requires more time but it is more reliable than Bluetooth or WiFi.

P.S. : I agree we should not have to change our habits because a product is not 100 % working.

@MikeSixPointEight: I also experience that the performance is significantly worse since I installed that update. And not just a little bit. The phone literally hangs for a few seconds once a day or so.
With the Version before that the performance was better than ever, so I hope they can also fix that problem with the next update.

Hi

There’s a generic response to that as your problem is generic, why it hangs in your case could do with some detail and then send that to Fairphone. There’s no way Fairphone can assess you rsituation it’s way to vague.

It was not a request, I just confirmed that there is a problem with this version. A few users in this thread also pointed out the performance issues as did Mike. So I only want to let him know that it is most likely a problem with this update.

Hi

I don’t seem to have such a problem, so maybe there is an app conflict or drain that I don’t use. Could it be an SD card that is formatted as Internal.

SD cards are slower that main-board memory and if the phone is accessing that frequently then a delay would be expected.