Software update 3.A.0134

Hi everyone. I have just got a notification of a new update but there’s no ‘official’ word on here. I’m on EE and it’s a security update for 6th November. Just wondering if anyone else has seen it yet? The file is quite small at 13MB

2 Likes

Had you received the 0.132 one before (10 days ago)? Maybe yours is operator-specific (some French Fairphoners had gotten one such update prior to the 0.132 one).

Yup seen it too on Vodafone UK. I think it’s just a security update, seeing as Fairphone haven’t said anything on here…

Waiting until tomorrow to install it though since I’m rooted :grin:

I’m currently running 0.132, not sure about OP

3 Likes

You’re giving me an idea. Given the small size of the update and the security level difference of just one day (5th vs. 6th November), I suspect it might be fixing a serious security issue that was talked about in this forum just a few days ago. From what I remember, the most recent FP2 update had fixed it (see the CVE-2021-1048 comment here), but according to @lucaweiss the most recent FP3 update (A.0132) did not include it. So maybe this is the left-over that still needed to be addressed ASAP.

P.S.: Sorry for the many edits I made to this reply, but I wanted to add the correct references :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just picked up 0134 on EE UK ~ Already had the 0132

@urs_lesse You are correct the the 6th Nov patch is solely a SMR (Security Maintenace Release) for the 1048: confirmed at
https://source.android.com/security/bulletin/2021-11-01#2021-11-06-security-patch-level-vulnerability-details

UPDATE:

It is not carrier specific as I have a second FP3 with no SIM card and it updated via WiFi, which is all I have by the way.

Right.

134 is a SMR which contains only the fix for CVE-2021-1048.

Thanks.

2 Likes

Received that too … that’s strange XD

What do you find strange ??

I’ve never seen a 6th Nov security updates in 10 years. A welcomed first time :slight_smile:

1 Like

However, what I did see before is an A.0134 update … back in 2020, the final Fairphone OS Android 9 update had the same version number. :thinking:

2 Likes

Google must have thought the 1048 exploit very important that it shouldn’t wait for the Dec 5th one. As you say, a nice surprise.

Also shows that such updates are not network dependent and scoot around Fairphone’s updates too.

1 Like

Just to remember:

Fairphone OS version 8901.3.A.0132.2021027 is the latest operating system for your Fairphone 3/Fairphone 3+ (FP3/FP3+), available for the open market, released on November 16, 2021. It is based on Android 10.

Some carriers might have a slightly different version number due to network optimization.

Note this is not a network optimisation but a Google Security update ~ independent of the network ~ a rare occurrence and seemingly not related or dependent upon network or Fairphone

Please continue here:

2 Likes