Software update: 3.A.0107.20210513

From their Twitter account when asked about the patch level:

not a typo. The security patch level is indeed 5th June

https://twitter.com/Fairphone/status/1399036254944124932

7 Likes

German IT magazine cā€™t says, Google offers their next Android security build to the vendor providers about one month in advance. So Fairphone has a chance to deliver their patch release in time when they can create the build early and the network providers cooperate.

4 Likes

Right, this is not a mystery at all. It is pretty common that the patches are distributed earlier than the mentioned date.

By the way, Fairphone started its rollout the same day like Samsung did.

6 Likes

Ahead of the curve !!! June patches in May !!!

This is wonderful, and better even than Essential was at beating the Pixel with patch rollouts. Iā€™m incredibly happy about this development.

4 Likes

The update installed just fine for me.

1 Like

@Mark_Jaroski @mmik922

Which network are you using, it may help someone to know ?

Finally the flash activation bug in the camera has been fixed, it was very annoying to me even if labeled as a minor bug.

1 Like

Iā€™m not. I have an Fairphone3 with no symlock. I get updates directly from Fairphone.

I presume that thatā€™s the same for everybody, no?

In any case the speed of this security update is cause for celebration.

Fairphone updates are provided OTA (Over The Air) via the network used unless a user downloads and installs the newer version manually. So some people/networks get it earlier than others and for some there is a along delay

1 Like

OK, So Iā€™m on Swisscom.

Iā€™ve had Pixel and Essential phones before the Fairphone, and have always received updates on release day.

1 Like

Not only Fairphone has released the update before Google:

7 Likes

Hi @Mic57 and @Antoine,

This should now be available. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Obviously it is not clear to everybody, otherwise the question of why a patch level date was in the future would not come up. I donā€™t find your answer to my posting adequate.

I think @ontheair was only seconding your explanation, not criticizing it at all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It may be common but clearly not common knowledge that an update can be over a month old and yet have a future date and I consider an odd way of dating.

So it means there will be no more until June 5th and that this update covers security patches up to 5th May.

For most users this is not a problem as they hardly take note of updates, if they even get them. But when interested people do note the updates clearer information would be helpful. Calling a May 5th update June 5th isnā€™t and there may never be a real June 5th update if thereā€™s a delay.

1 Like

Indeed, it looks like ā€œoldā€, but itā€™s not. Google releases monthly patches and distributes the stable ones for the next month patch cycle earlier to all the official Android phone vendors to have them ideally implement them until next official patch level date.

So if you search for Android security fixes e.g. at Android Security Bulletins Ā |Ā  Android Open Source Project youā€™ll find the fixes for security patch level June not even released yet, because weā€™re still before the official date. From June 5th on, youā€™ll get to know which security patches were delivered in the Android source.

Oh and I note that the patch is pushed to the vendors at least a month before it is published in the bulletin, which means Fairphone had this patch probably late April ~ so it doesnā€™t address security issues in May ~ itā€™s an April 5th patch at best

to note . . .

Android framework issues disclosed in the May 2019 security bulletin, for example, were provided to Android partners at least as early as March 20th, 2019

Hmmā€¦ I donā€™t understand exactly what you mean. Now, Fairphone 3 states security patch level June 5th, so it includes all security patches until that particular security patch level announcement, even when it was delivered earlier than June 5th.

1 Like

Iā€™m sure you got it wrong there.

What we got is something that is labelled ā€œSecurity patch level 2021-06-05ā€ because thatā€™s what Google thinks everyone should call it.
The meaning of this label is ā€œSecurity patch level of both android system and vendor software that gets announced by Google in June 2021ā€. Which I think is too long for normal communication :wink:

What we got a couple of days ago is ā€œthe full June updateā€.

The next thing we will get will be ā€œthe full July updateā€. It will have the label ā€œ2021-07-05ā€.

We may get it again early. Or we may not.

But in any case: Fairphone provided 2021-06-05 on May 29th. Google is likely to povide it on June 1st, or 3rd or 5th (these were the release dates of the last three bulletins according to Boletins de atualizaĆ§Ć£o de pixel  |  Android Open Source Project). The ā€œtypical cheapā€ Android phone model will likely get it after May 5th.
But they all will get the same fixes (with exceptions in the vendor part; Qualcomm devices wonā€™t get Mediatek fixes and vice versa for example).

3 Likes

Exactly.

True, thatā€™s why I explained it and also gave the additional information that not only Fairphone did it, but also other companies (in this case: Samsung; including a link with more informations).

Ok, if you have further questions additional to my explanation or details that are not mentioned in the link I provided: Feel free to ask. If I know the answer, I will be happy to share it.