Since Upgrade to 1.6.2 Display becomes dark while using the phone

Since I upgraded to 1.6.2 yesterday the display occurently becomes totally dark and whil stay so until the battery is removed and inserted again.

:frowning_with_open_mouth:

Your proximity sensor might be dusty and coincidently this issue arose shortly after you updated your OS.

To clean it, disassamble the screen and find it in the top module, next to the LED. Put a few heavy blows of air into it and see if that helps. Also, make sure your screen is not too dirty in that area.

If this shouldn’t help, install “Sensor Readout” (from F-Droid or PlayStore), open the “distance sensor” and wave your hand over the sensor. If you see a line on the screen going up and down (indicating “near” and “far”), your sensor works and the origin of your problem should be something different (which I can’t tell right away).

For a solution that came with update 1.6.2, see another post below.

2 Likes

Proximity Sensor is working correctly. I used this to get rid af the google stuff and installed Fairphone Open.
Everything is fine now with that phone so it seems to be something with the 1.6.2 update.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Proximity Sensor Issues Duplicate thread

A post was merged into an existing topic: Auto-brightness issue since FPOS1.6.2

I moved some posts that didn’t belong here to different threads and since @jhohn was the only one describing the issue and now switched to Open OS, I’ll close this thread with a referral to an older thread describing the same issue:

Apparently this is related to the boot image used for regaining root rights after updating and as far as I can tell the trick is to use a better boot image.