Since Nougat update I can't catch Pokemon anymore

Hi Community,
any news when this odd bug will be fixed?
After a few weeks waiting for a solution I’m thinking about downgrading back to Android 6 - but I had a lot of problems (error messages) when I tried this beginning of December - and it is a lot of work to reinstall all the apps again :frowning:

This is the latest info in the bugtracker …

“Maarten Derks 03 Dec 2018 13:45
Unfortunately we don’t have a timeline for the first Android 7 update/this issue yet.”

I habe the same Problem :frowning:

Hi Community,
I decided to return to Android 6 and followed the steps " Fairphone OS downloads for Fairphone 2"
for Android 6.0

The phone got very hot and discharged within 60 Minutes. Good to know that all the apps got “optimized” , but the phone now loops in the boot process.

I found topic [Infinite boot loop - FP2]
(Infinite boot loop - FP2)
but the discussion is closed in the meantime :frowning:

Selecting the system.img I got the error message that the file is damaged.

Regards,
Katrin

If you have a backup of all your important data (pictures, contacts, messages, etc.) or if you are ready to set up your phone again without a backup, you could try the following …

• Boot the phone into dic:recoverymode (<- really read this on how to navigate there with the buttons)
  • Run “Wipe data/factory reset”
  • Run “Wipe cache partition”
  • Run “Reboot system now”

I’m not quite following … are you referring to this post?
In the end, if you believe the OS could somehow be damaged, here’s how to wipe the entire Fairphone 2 and install it from scratch, just use the manual installation file for the older OS in the process … (for English, you can translate the text at DeepL, it’s pretty accurate, I checked) …

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: :de: Keine Pokemon auf Nougat - Downgrade auf Marshmallow

Same problem, trading and catching. Hope it’ll get fixed soon.

Well, there is no reason to hope this will be resolved soon, or any time at all.

Building smartphones must be more complicated than many can imagine, everyone at fairphone included. Nice idea, but the brutal reality is that the fairphone is barely usable. The lack of official communication for almost two months on this product being unable to run one of the more popular apps out there doesn’t help the cause. I’m ready to get a bog-standard, off-the-shelf smartphone, lovingly created with child labor and fuelling some distant war over the resources used to build it. I don’t care enough about saving the planet to put up with the ridicule people give me over using the piece of crap that the fairphone unfortunately still is.

Ah, well, I could understand this rant if we were talking about a vital functionality of the phone. Instead we are talking about the luxury to spend spare time that other people don’t have on satisfying a play instinct while there are children who don’t even have time for basic games because they are working in mines for you.
Sorry, I can understand that the FP2 misses many, many functions that other phones have and we’ll probably never get them. But none of them is so vital that I would switch to an off-the-shelf smartphone as you describe - not for that reason.

4 Likes

Hi there,
now I’ve also walked into the Android Nougat OpenGL desaster and after reading that thread (thx for that lots of information! thumbsup) decided to go back to android 6.
So I downloaded and extracted Fairphone OS 18.04.1 (FP2-gms-18.04.1-manual.zip), put my FP into bootloader (Volume down + Power on) and connected it to the PC. Then I doubleclicked ‘flash-for-windows.bat’.

Problem 1: The script didn’t recognize my phone. It couldn’t, because my PC hadn’t installed the “android” hardware driver properly. On Win7 it also failed to automatically update the driver. :confused: On Win10 it fortunately downloaded it automatically after clicking update driver software in hardware manager. After that, the script worked and set the phone back to android 6.

Problem 2: The FP booted, optimized apps, booted again and then every time several android processes got terminated (android.process.acore, android.process.media) and after some short time the FP rebooted again, and so on. Dang it.
-> Solution: Factory reset*, i.e. taking out the battery, putting it in again and starting the phone by pushing “volume up” and “power” simultaniously. After that, a “no command” picture appears. Again pushing “volume up” and “power” showed the menu to factory reset the device (selecting by “volume up”, “volume down” and “power” button).

Now everything is fine again, but it was no easy walk through the park and took a lot of time and nerves.

I thought, I summarize that solution and my experiences since one has to look through several links and descriptions and different posts of this thread.

*edit: Please be aware, that a factory reset deletes all user data and installed apps. Your FP will be like freshly taken out of the box and runs the initial assistant to prepare it for first use!

1 Like

Or you could follow this guide with the manual installation file for Android 6 instead of a current one …

Fairphone 2 (android 7) crashes when you try to catch a pokemon in pokemon go. The issue is known (https://bugtracker.fairphone.com/project/fairphone-android-7/issue/56) but why is it not solved? Thank you.

I’d say there’s a limited number of SW developers and in the first step they’ve fixed the most upvoted bug.

2 Likes

So, I finally found a solution to this persisting problem:

I got a proper phone.

I won’t advertise any specific brand. But as the fairphone was my first smartphone, this is a real eye-opener. Runs several apps at the same time without any of them crashing, battery easily lasts the day and it doesn’t get hot running PokemonGO. It’s not even a top of the line phone, so if it doesn’t last I can get a new one.

Really, the idea of the fairphone sounded great in theory. But the truth is, such a small company just doesn’t seem to have the resources to properly design a phone. So for anyone out there looking for an ecologically friendly smartphone, the fairphone is not it. As has been written elsewhere, you’ll end up buying another phone soon, and the fairphone still was produced using precious resources.

Yes, this is a harsh view, but also the truth! You had more than three months to show you care, and if you don’t care about your customer’s problems, harsh critique is what you get.

1 Like

Are there any changes with the new update? :slight_smile:

I haven’t installed the update yet, but the issue that seems to be the problem has unfortunately not yet been addressed. Annoying!

Just another trainer here, wanted to post so there is a better count of how many people are affected. Oh and I managed to upvote the issue after a few tryes :slight_smile:

I am afraid it is getting worst in the relationships between FP2 and Pokemon Go. Since today, the game crashes right after upload, exactly the same way it does when you catch a Pokemon. I have reinstalled the app, in vain. If this turns to be an enduring problem, it means that it becomes impossible to play Pokemon Go with FP2. Of course, it might also be my personal device. This is the reason why I’d like to know whether other FP2 users/players have experienced the same thing. Tx.

Hey sergentvitamine,
I downloaded the new PokemonGo update too today. On my device it didn’t crash.

What Android version are you using?
I downgraded mine to Android 6 Marshmallow.

Best, Leo

Tx Leole for the comment and the piece of advice. It is true that I am using the latest version of android. Downgrading might be an option.