Sim card deactivates itself

I’ve got the same problem with my fairphone. For me, there seems to be a conjunction between using the bluetooth and loosing the mobile network connection. Someone with the same impression?

Well described! I have the same problem ;( Any idea why this is happening or how we can avoid being without connection?

Thanks!!

I know that other Smarthones have similar problems.
The signal of the wireless network has much more power than the GSM signal.
Also the bluetooth signal is stronger than the GSM signal.
A receiver of a powerful signal creates a (relative) strong magnetic field, and this prevents the reception of other weak signals.
So its possible that when you are on are with your smartphone on a place with weak GSM reception, you can get the signal when your smartphone is in the “normal” mode.
When you activate WIFi and / or Bluetooth, the reception of the GSM signal will collapse and the Sim card deactivates itself.
Sometimes it changes when you move the phone some meters to another place where the GSM reception is better (p. e. away trom a metallic object that is between GSM antenna and smartphone).

I know that my English is not so good, but I hope you will understand where’s the problem (weak GSM provider).

Best regards
Bobby

1 Like

I experience the same problem as well (I have FP1U). Have any of you figure out what is happening? I do not check my phone all that often so sometimes I’m left unreachable for a long time and that is very annoying. I experiment with WIFI on/off Bluetooth on/off, but so far I was not able to manually reproduce the problem.

I usually have my WiFi and Bluetooth turned off to save battery, and yet my SIM-card gets deactivated.

I didn’t have this problem before the latest software update and now it’s usually happening several times a day.

Go to Settings -> Mobile networks -> 3G Service -> GSM/UMTS. Choose WCDMA only. After I did this it has been much more stable. It could be coincidental with other stuff (where I’m located for instance), but it’s worth a try.

Haven’t had this issue in forever now.

Besides, I don’t have 3G.

Hmm, is there no possibilty in Android to view why the phone rebooted? LIke the event viewer in windows. i enabled the tasker run log, but there i don’t see any suspicious entries…

I contacted the FP tech support and they think it might be related to old SIMs. Apparently SIM older than 1.5 years do not always play very well with FP. I tried to google it up, but I have not find a single reference to an issue caused by an old SIM. Nevertheless, I will try that and see what happens. Thing is, that it might be very well related to a phone restart. Next time it happens, I will try to hook it with android debugger and run the bugreport to see what has happened.

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same problem plus som experience with this behaviour.
My prior Smartphone (Huawei y201pro) rebooted on a regular basis, obviously much more often while moving form cell to cell, almost never when it was just lying at home.
I then got a Fairphone. It showed a similar behaviour, except that the fairphone does not reboot, but resets the sim(s), so that you have to reenter the SIM-pincodes.
I then got a new SIM-card as I suspected it might have to do with mit SIM-card being defective. It seems to not have changed anything, the problem remains. for the Fairphone it seems to not matter if it moves between cells or if it is just lying somewhere.
The problem is obviously not related to older/newer sims, as my sim-cards are now both newer than 3 months.
Do the other people here that have this problem use one or two sims?

Easy workaround for the problem is to remove the simlock/pincode-protection, so the problem still occurs, but it reconnects automatically. So you are still reachable after 30 seconds.
Judge for yourself if that is an option for you.
Settings->security->sim-lock

Still the Fairphoneteam should try to solve this problem as it is very annoying.
Tom

My simcard for phonecalls which disconnects is very old (years…). The second (data-)simcard inserted is the newer one, but it’s usually deactivated because i don’t use often data services.

In my case the problem is related to phone spontaneous reboots. Today, I managed to spot the issue right after it happened and so I attached the android debugger and ran a bug report. From the uptime I can see that the phone was up for just a few minutes. Also no background apps, freshly booted. I was skeptical with the SIM replacement, but the guy from the customer support insisted…

I will try the hard reset as this is very likely the next thing they are going to suggest.

Usally I´m using only one SIM. To test, I replaced SIM in second slot - error accured. I used two SIM - error accured. My SIM also is years old. Don´t want to test a new one, if others say error still accurrs.

I think, support has to solve this problem. I don´t want to set my SIM without PIN!!! That´s your task, fairphone-guys! Please no hints like. brush the slot, take a new one or something else - it´s a software-problem!

Sorry for bad english :smiley:

I switched to a brand new SIM card, but the problem remains. Also changed the 3G setting to WCDMA only. Didn’t help.

Sometimes my phone doesn’t ask for the PIN code, when this occurs. It just freezes, if I try to call someone, disconnect the SIM card or switch to airplane mode. If I removed the PIN-lock protection for the SIM card, I think it would be even harder for me to follow, when the disconnection occurs…

I’m noticing, this behaviour happens more often, when I’m at work. I’m beginning to suspect the connection breaks when someone tries to call me… But I’m not sure.

I’m only using one SIM card in my phone.

Hello, I am having the same problem for quite some time now. I am using FP1 with newest Updates but the problem started right from the beginning. I want to add that in my case quite often I am not reachable but the phone still indicates a stable connection. When I start my data connection, wich ist usually turned off, it seeks for a connection for a long time, finally failing to find one. That is a hind for me to turn on flight mode an reconnect. After that I usually have a good connection.
Is using an new SIM (here in Germany) really doing the trick ? Any other suggestions ?

@JollyRoger this is a community-led forum, so it’s very unlikely that you get an official answer by the FP team.

To everyone: This happened only like 1 or 2 times to me in one year of FP possession. My SIM card is quite new (something over 1 year).

If you don’t want to request a new SIM card from your carrier, ask a friend for another SIM card and see if the issues persist.

I have the same problem, about 5times/week.
FP 2:nd batch, 2 sims installed. Problem occured before second sim was installed. Just changed to WCDMA only, let’s see what happens.

/Ub

1 Like

@Stefan: Thought this is offical - I´m sorry.

Gave the problem to support - hope to hear something soon. My provider told me, SIM is OK if it works in other mobile phones.

1 Like

I have the same problem. I’m owner of a fairphone since middle of November and it happened twice up to now. I have two sim cards (normal cards, no micro), and both were disabled and I had to enter the pins.
In both cases the phone was in my pocket, locked, and it happened (as you describe, too) when the connectivity to the network was gone.

I have the same problem.