Shortcuts disappeared after reboot

True… At least 100… But since there were promising indications about disabling the Digital Wellbeing app, I thought I’d try this one and report that, unfortunately, no, that is not the solution

However… The very first reboot after disabling Digital Wellness removed the shortcuts, but after that, it has not occurred again. So maybe it does work, maybe not 100% but definitely the shortcuts are more stable now.

Update - about 16 reboots since disabling wellbeing. After two of them I lost the only Drive shortcut I had. I didn’t always have it there so I wouldn’t call it a 12% failure rate - it’s more than that.
If it’s just Drive shortcuts I’ll probably learn to live with it.

1 Like

For me, it’s any Spotify shortcut. Since I listen to many podcasts, it’s really annoying. Especially that I have to do the reboots caused by lack of audio functionality in WhatsApp from time to time.

Have you tried disabling the Digital Wellbeing app ?

1 Like

I’ve read about this solution in this thread, so next time I have this issue, I’ll definitely try this one and then write here if it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Today I talked over the phone, the first time in weeks. And just afterwards I noticed that audio is not working again, so I rebooted the phone. Unfortunately, after that, Spotify shortcuts disappeared again. So even though I tried the Digital Wellbeing disabling trick, it didn’t work for me ;(

1 Like

I have the same problem since a couple of months. A friend of mine, too. All web shortcuts disappearing (sometimes - not every time) after reboot.
FP3+, standard Google launcher, my browsers: Firefox as well as DuckDuckGo.
Even a factory reset of my FP3 did not solve the problem.

Welcome to the forum

See 3 posts above

yes, I disabled it. This did not cure the problem.

1 Like

Oh that’s a bit of a surprise as it was a common workaround.

Do you know you can do a Safe Mode start which doesn’t wipe all your data it just does not install all the custom apps.

However if you disable the app and then do factory reset the app will be activated again.

Have you tried removing the Digital Wellbeing app?

Thanks for the hint! I’m going to try Safe Mode start the next couple of days.

1 Like

Don’t forget to disable the Digital Wellbeing app too :slight_smile:

Sadly today’s reboot lost my Drive, WhatsApp and internet shortcuts again.
I updated to 8901.4.A.0019.1 release-keys the other day. Digital Wellbeing is still disabled.
Disappointing.

Appanently there are other apps other than Digital Wellbeing, that can interfere with a reboot.

Issues on rebooting can come from Google Play Store and Services, as well as Qualcomm Location

Have a look at this topic

I don’t have Qualcomm Location listed in my apps. And Google Play Services can’t be disabled - I 'resume I need it to keep apps up to date.
I guess there might be a way to disable it temporarily in safe mode, but that won’t help me because I only lose the shortcuts once every 10 or 15 reboots. So I might disable it, keep my shortcuts, conclude that Google Play Services was the culprit, and be 100% wrong.
Looks like I’m back to relying on bookmarks in my browser to not lose internet shortcuts, and using favourites in Drive to find my frequently opened files, and just searching WhatsApp for groups.

I’m not suggesting you disbale play services as it will cause loads of notification about what won’t work, like the camera even though the camera is fine, with it disabled.

I havbe Google Play Store, romoved, which stops the Play Services from updating unless maybe I get it from the OS update.

But it can be disabled and there is an option to uninstall the latest Google Play Services.

You may like to look into that a bit more ??

But then how would I install new apps from Google Play Store and keep the existing ones up to date (which is usually a good idea from a security perspective)?
Are you suggesting to disable it most of the time and just enable it once every X weeks to upgrade/install apps?

Sadly , I’m not suggesting it as I don’t use the Google Play Store, but you could try for a while, bit then if this only happened this once, with an OS update it’s probably not worth changing anything to see if it works, that’s probably more work that recreating the shortcuts

Well this is a turn up for the books.

I’ve just restarted the phone via the screen gui and lost my Firefox short cuts and my four contacts shortcuts.

It’s never happened in the two years or more I’ve had the phone and no OS updates etc.

Will try out a few ideas ??

UPDATE:
By powering off and on using the power button they came back.

I rarely re boot the phone

1 Like