Screen brightness randomly limited to only about ~50%

Hello and welcome. As you can see from the thread, it is a well recognized issue and the patch is being worked on.
What has been working for me, as a workaround, besides covering the sensor, was either rebooting or setting the maximum brightness and then turning off adaptive brightness feature. The latter though increases the battery usage.

Yes, I know. And as it is a known problem since '23 I think it is fair to show that this is a common issue which needs to be solved. As the phone is unreadable in bright environments with dark theme activated it is not a first world problem.
I hope for a hot fix soon.

2 Likes

Although I have a decent workaround, I’m annoyed by this bug, too. But this statement

probably reaches way too far.

Well, I don’t want a hotfix and I’m certain we won’t get one. I’d rather have a well tested fix being part of one of the next updates.

I found no fix for this I would consider tolerable.
Screen brightness only works for a short time after a reboot.
It is gone rather quickly and I can only reliably get it back after a reboot.
It makes the whole phone, but especially the camera practically useless in sunlight.
If it opens on a double click of the power button, wich is also a game of chance for me, I usually can’t even tell, if the screen is on, let alone, if the camera app is ready. I had quite some frustrating times with it.
I bet, this is a software issue and could be fixed, but the time this bug has been open fills me with dread. Either there are even worse bugs to fix, that take precedent, or it won’t be fixed. Both scenarios are horrifying in their own right.

And because I realized that I commented in this discussion but didn’t have a support item yet, I opened one yesterday referring to this thread and to my workaround which should support the debugging, I’d say. I have to admit that I get annoyed by this behavior more, now that the days are getting brighter again. The workaround with covering the sensor only seems to work properly if the sensor really sees pitch-black darkness. In full sunlight my fingers or the glass of the display or both seem to let through too much light to the sensor, so that the workaround doesn’t work reliably then. I use my phone sleeve then to cover the upper part of the phone, that still works well, but of course that’s always an extra procedure to take and is annoying especially if you want to take a photo quickly.

1 Like

Same problem with my new Fairphone 5.
Under sunlight it is unusable.

This is really a major issue, I hope it will be fixed soon

Hi and welcome and please report to support. In general I have no issues to use mine in the sun, never had. Rarely it seems, the display brightness is stuck, however can easily be “fixed” as described above.

What I want to say: that does not seem to be a wide spread issue so far.

Same issue here, very annoying, I use a brightness app for now that lets me at least reset brightness via a notification. I knew what I was getting into with a small team supporting the Fairphone software and the known quirks of the previous devices. But this one is hard to ignore…

Some info that may be relevant:
The lux sensor reports 65535 (MAX_UNSIGNED_SHORT) in way too dark environments. This means that even when covered with a finger, in sunlight the sensor value does not change.

This leads me me to the assumption that the brightness is just not updating, as the value is not chainging.

The underlying issue may be a badly calibrated sensor.

I have no clue about how Android or the hardware handle this, so no idea how to fix it but the lux values I’m getting just don’t make sense, so something is off there.

As to how common this is, brightess issues were mentioned in the LTT video, a fix was promised but I’ve not heard about that since.

A public issue tracker would be great, I don’t think it’s appropriate to leave this up to the community for a 700$ phone…

3 Likes

This issue got worse with the latest update.

This seem to be a different issue, or?

Here are more reports (mix of differwnt ones) some “solved” by disabling DC Dimming

2 Likes

The problem still persists. As mentioned above by other users as well it sometimes leads to an unusable phone in bright environments.
The current update (FP5.TT4C.A.154.20240320) did not solve the issue. I am extremely unhappy with the situation still being an issue.
If this is not fixed with the next update the FP5 will be my first and last Fairphone. My Samsung phones never had any issues.
Release a hot fix even if this means that the battery is drained a little faster if you have to keep the sensor alive all the time to not get stuck at low or high brightnesses (yes, it very rarely also gets stuck at very high brightness in dark environments but it is at least usable).

Did you ever report this to support? Else fixing it will be difficult. It seems to be an issue affecting very few devices, so to fix this they need information.

Well and a hot fix will not happen for various reasons like Google Certification and I would not want a hot fix causing new issues probably also to user not affected by that bug.

1 Like

Even if is not a wide spread issue, is an issue reported by several people it seems.
It is also a major problem, at least for me. For example my FP5 is not usable in sunny day as gps with Google map, the screen is too dark

1 Like

Yes I understand and would repeat

If not already done so. As its not a wide spread issue everyone facing it need to contact support, else I doubt it will ever be fixed and still might be hardware issue.

I too confirm, with disabled “Display/DC Dimming” problem not occurred…

3 Likes

Indeed, I didn’t get this connection until now. Disabled DC dimming and my first trials look promising. That might also explain why not so many people are affected.

1 Like

Had DC dimming enabled, randomly jumping around brightness, making the device unusable outside. Even just laying on my desk the brightness would jump around. Now disabled ‘DC Dimming’, lets see how that goes.

I just looked at my settings and had dc dimming enabled.
Disabled it myself too. I hope it fixes it

No longer constantly jumping around, buttt now I have a new one where sometimes it goes to minimum brightness for no reason. An improvement still, but clearly it still doesn’t really work.

A post was merged into an existing topic: FP5 brightness randomly reduces