Save the date: August 27th

I understand now. Privacy is a concern only to those who have a life.

OK, how about 5G? Probably in 1-4 years, is there a new FP4 in development or will there be a new FP3 motherboard supporting 5G?

How about upgrade policy to Android 11?

No upgrade to 5G possible on FP3 nor FP3+ (it’d be on the main module, and they have no 5G chip). Probably for FP4… Maybe next year?

As for Android 11, also next year? But nothing promised yet except security updates.

2 Likes

Hi,
I don’t know how serious you are about your questions, but as you ask for examples, I would like to give you some answers about privacy.
First, as Snowden puts it:

Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say. Nobody needs to justify why they ‘need’ a right. The burden of justification falls on the one seeking to infringe upon the right. You can’t give away the rights of others because they’re not useful to you. More simply, the majority cannot vote away the natural rights of the minority. – Edward Snowden

This is very important, because some people live in countries were being gay is illegal, where your religion is illegal, where your political standpoint is illegal. These people need to be protected.
Furthermore, you may want to hide things from some people. You may like to keep for yourself that you are pregnant, that you have a disease, that you are buying a house, that you are looking for a new job, who you are voting for,… All these things are legal but can have an impact on your life if some people discover it before you chose to tell them.

Privacy concerns much more than what you think (it’s not only for those with something to hide) and is fundamental for some people.

5 Likes

Saying “I don’t care about privacy because I’m no one important and have nothing to hide” is the equivalent to saying “I don’t need freedom of speech because I have nothing to say”.
Passivity will be the downfall of our liberties…

2 Likes

Look, don’t just quote others, think for yourself, use common sense. If government or corporations want to snoop on me I’m not going to fight them. But freedom of speech is an entirely different matter. If I’m gay let them research my gayness, it will not diminish me for who I am right? How did you connected the dots between google spying on you and expressing as a minority? I know one thing for certain and from experience and it is a fact for me, once I go down that road caring what others think of me I will never find rest.

Quoting others (DuckDuckGo for instance) doesn’t mean I don’t think for myself. Our opinions and way of thinking is influenced by our environment ie what we read and who we meet during our lives. If I’d quoted Kant or Democrite, you probably wouldn’t have said this.
And for the rest, just open your eyes and look around : Russia, Hong Kong, China or, to a certain extent Hungary are proofs that freedom of speech and privacy are very closely linked and the big corporations play a role in this by submitting to these countries demands.
I will not say anymore on this thread as we are way off topic…

7 Likes

I agree we are way off topic here.

2 Likes