Save the date: August 27th

Bah humbug! :wink:

…Bah humbug! :smiley:

On that note, even with a smartphone you of course still have a choice whether (and which) social media you use, and which apps you install. Invisible trackers are unfair on smartphone owners (but in some ways also an improvement on visible trackers :joy: ), but ads is something I find I have quite a lot of control over. My personal golden rules are

• Choose open-source apps over closed source where possible,
  • Get a decent tracking blocker for the browser. I’m okay with ads, but less so with tracking. If you hate both, ad-blockers are the way to go instead,
  • Pay for the apps you use frequently if that gives you the ad-free experience, and
  • Don’t get too lured in to installing every shop’s app just for a free coffee/burger/shower gel every now and again. You pay with your data!

That sums it up quite nicely! I wasn’t quite sure we’re trying to say the same, but: the presence of an FM radio (which in terms of cost is about as minimal as it gets) doesn’t force anyone to use it of course :slight_smile:

… coming back to the original announcement, I think it’s actually quite a nice one. Initially I felt that it didn’t quite live up to the hype they tried to create, but now that I think about it, I feel that the extra steps they take in terms of sustainability and fairness does deserve a platform and lots of attention! The actual phone upgrades are perhaps less exciting to me, but that might be because I don’t TikTok or Instagram… and I’m still on my FP2 with original camera.

3 Likes

Nice typo in a forum about Android phones :slight_smile: There used to be one LG phone I think that had a DAB receiver built in. I personally still have a little Sangean radio supporting DAB, FM and mp3 and even devices in that class are dying out…

3 Likes

90% of the time I use my smartphone to look at the time, since I don’t wear wristwatch. The other 10% I use for calls, youtube(without ads), music player and amazon kindle.

Don’t care who is tracking me. Why would I care? I’m nobody important.

“In a world that doesn’t seem to care, caring is the most radical thing you can do.”

3 Likes

You took my words out of context.

True. Though it is an answer to the general question “Why would I care?”.

Especially knowing we all have right to privacy and don’t want it to be known or exposed.

1 Like

If I’m 1 in 7600000000, privacy is my least concern.

Until you have something to hide and discover it’s too late?

2 Likes

For example?
I’m not trying to be an ahole, my point is all of these privacy services like nord vpn, ducduckgo etc. sound like they capitalise on our insecurities. Together they are like a congregation preaching the gospel of privacy.

For example if you search for a certain secret topic on the Internet and then you get ad suggestions about this topic, and someone you don’t want to know you search for this topic sees the ad and guesses you’ve searched for it.

1 Like

I understand now. Privacy is a concern only to those who have a life.

OK, how about 5G? Probably in 1-4 years, is there a new FP4 in development or will there be a new FP3 motherboard supporting 5G?

How about upgrade policy to Android 11?

No upgrade to 5G possible on FP3 nor FP3+ (it’d be on the main module, and they have no 5G chip). Probably for FP4… Maybe next year?

As for Android 11, also next year? But nothing promised yet except security updates.

2 Likes

Hi,
I don’t know how serious you are about your questions, but as you ask for examples, I would like to give you some answers about privacy.
First, as Snowden puts it:

Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say. Nobody needs to justify why they ‘need’ a right. The burden of justification falls on the one seeking to infringe upon the right. You can’t give away the rights of others because they’re not useful to you. More simply, the majority cannot vote away the natural rights of the minority. – Edward Snowden

This is very important, because some people live in countries were being gay is illegal, where your religion is illegal, where your political standpoint is illegal. These people need to be protected.
Furthermore, you may want to hide things from some people. You may like to keep for yourself that you are pregnant, that you have a disease, that you are buying a house, that you are looking for a new job, who you are voting for,… All these things are legal but can have an impact on your life if some people discover it before you chose to tell them.

Privacy concerns much more than what you think (it’s not only for those with something to hide) and is fundamental for some people.

5 Likes

Saying “I don’t care about privacy because I’m no one important and have nothing to hide” is the equivalent to saying “I don’t need freedom of speech because I have nothing to say”.
Passivity will be the downfall of our liberties…

2 Likes

Look, don’t just quote others, think for yourself, use common sense. If government or corporations want to snoop on me I’m not going to fight them. But freedom of speech is an entirely different matter. If I’m gay let them research my gayness, it will not diminish me for who I am right? How did you connected the dots between google spying on you and expressing as a minority? I know one thing for certain and from experience and it is a fact for me, once I go down that road caring what others think of me I will never find rest.

Quoting others (DuckDuckGo for instance) doesn’t mean I don’t think for myself. Our opinions and way of thinking is influenced by our environment ie what we read and who we meet during our lives. If I’d quoted Kant or Democrite, you probably wouldn’t have said this.
And for the rest, just open your eyes and look around : Russia, Hong Kong, China or, to a certain extent Hungary are proofs that freedom of speech and privacy are very closely linked and the big corporations play a role in this by submitting to these countries demands.
I will not say anymore on this thread as we are way off topic…

7 Likes

I agree we are way off topic here.

2 Likes