Removing google searchbar

Just adding links to source (GitHub) and Google Play Store for Lawnchair, Lean Launcher, and Launcher3 (aka “Rootless Pixel Launcher”).

Lawnchair:

Lean Launcher:

Launcher3:

4 Likes

This worked, but now I have a(n ugly) black search bar on the same location.

2 Likes

I’d rather have the most ugly searchbar from wherever than the one from gougel… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

While I love supporting open source, I couldn’t find out how to set a custom home panel with Lawnchair, so I use Nova. This was possible on older stock Androids and it’s a function I find really useful.

Is there a way to do it with Lawnchair? Then I’d switch back!

As stated on the F-Droid page the launcher is apparently not maintained anymore.
Though the underlying problem seems to be something else.

Other launchers you could use: OpenLauncher, the Fairphone 1 or 2 launchers (downloadable from F-Droid)

I also was not able to remove the search bar. Disabling the Google app just leaves a useless white bar.

So, I tried other launchers. This is my experience:

• Lawnchair: Outdated, at least on F-Droid. Did not try it.
  • Rootless Pixel Launcher aka Launcher3: Same problem, search bar cannot be removed.
  • KISS launcher: Replaces the Google search bar by a more useful one but has a quite different approach (only one widget, app icons automatically arranged, …)
  • Essential Launcher: No search bar but only one widget and up to seven favorite apps.
  • Light Android Launcher: No search bar, no widgets, no app icons.
  • Zim Launcher: Very powerful launcher which does the trick but seems a bit unstable at the first glance.
  • Bliss Launcher: Search bar with different provider, some fixed widgets which cannot be removed, app drawer on home screen.
  • Fairphone 2 Launcher: Works well if you like edge swipe.
  • OpenLauncher: Very nice but a bit fiddly to set up.
4 Likes

What do you think of Lean Launcher

I only checked apps on F-Droid.

Lawnchair is maintained.

You linked to v1. That is no longer maintained, and for some reason it can’t be removed from F-Droid. If you get it from the Play Store, you’ll get v2.

6 Likes

Well… there is a reason: the Google Play/v2 version includes proprietary libs, so well… not so much FLOSS…

See (and upvote) this issue:

4 Likes

Lawnchair is great! Lots of customization options and no Google searchbar!

My FP3 homescreen went from this…

…to this -------------------------------->

3 Likes

So you can’t put a different widget, of your choice, in that space?

I don’t know how to, that’s for sure. I ended up with an other launcher. There’s a plethora of them available. Some open source, some partly open source, some closed source. Some very basic ones, some very advanced, etc.

4 Likes

Another Launcher is the solution. I use the Blackberry Launcher (because it was on my last phones) and there is no Google Searchbar or something like that

2 Likes

I’m using Evie Launcher. Simple standard launcher with quite a few options for home, drawer and dock.

1 Like

not only now use lawnchair … also got this nice weather-app “windy” … :wink:
thnx for showing

1 Like

Will there be an option to disable the bar in future software updates? Is Fairphone working on it? Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

The search bar is part of the stock launcher …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/improving-the-software-of-fp3/54799/38?u=anotherelk

2 Likes

Hi there,

I’m not using the Hey Google bar on FP3, is there a way to remove the bar? Just tapping it does not seem to work. It’s just taking up space like this.

Thanks!

I moved your post here to avoid duplicate topics, please have a look around.

3 Likes