Regular blank pages when trying to load Discourse forums in Firefox (Android)

I also noticed that I can reproduce the issue pretty consistently if this forum is the first page I load after killing Firefox and clearing the cache, whereas it usually works if I load some other page first and only then open the forum.

Interesting. I donā€™t have the feeling that I saw the same correlation so far. When it happened I repeatedly killed Firefox and opened that page first until it worked. But I had just as much trouble when I had been browsing other pages in other tabs before.

2 Likes

Probably this is not related, but can anybody open https://www.vmt-thueringen.de/ and try to pick a date and time for routing information? Doesnā€™t work for me on Firefox mobile, the calendar is strangely ordered, so I canā€™t confirm the date. Chrome seems to be working

Just to follow up: I have seen this happen plenty of times on Version 117 by now. So it does not seem to be fixed and is just luck.

1 Like

No difficulty finding a train from Plaue to Erfurt Hbf next Wednesday morning :wink:

Firefox 116.3 on FP4.SP2K.B.089

1 Like

@OldRoutard
you really should update your Firefox, 117.1.0 fixes a critical zero-day: Security Vulnerability fixed in Firefox 117.0.1, Firefox ESR 115.2.1, Firefox ESR 102.15.1, Thunderbird 102.15.1, and Thunderbird 115.2.2 ā€” Mozilla

3 Likes

Thanks for testing. Maybe it is caused by uBlock origin :man_shrugging:

I already tried disabling all that. Itā€™s also not FP4 specific. The FP5 has it too and I could also reproduce it on my Pixel 3 for quite some time.

2 Likes

I have missed this topic so far, but I have the same problem every now and then (it usually helps to force close FF and then try again). Will head over to bugzilla later.

4 Likes

I saw this thread sometime in the past, but didnā€™t care too much, because for on my computer was doing five. Now I changed from Lighting browser to Firefox when I moved from FP2 to FP5 and I have the issue both here and in a different forum based on the same software. Iā€™m using uBlock origin, but otherwise the browser is more or less as it came. Will try to disable uBlock next time this happensā€¦

1 Like

That is interesting! I just came over here to say that on my FP4 it worked every time since I updated to A13. :thinking:
Iā€™m using the forum in a Firefox PWA which did not load at least half of the time before. I had to kill it repeatedly until it worked.

1 Like

disabling ublock and decentraleyes doesnt change anything for me.
Interestingly I didnt have problems for app. 1,5 weeks until 5 days ago it started to happen again from time to time.

1 Like

Confirmed: Right after posting my previous message here I had the issue again, disabled uBlock and that didnā€™t change anything. Increasingly enough another website in a different tab didnā€™t want to load properly then anymore, either, although that page alone doesnā€™t have any issues normally.

In my experience the only thing that fully prevents the problem is to

1. Enable the following setting: Delete browsing data on quit
  2. Check the following boxes: Open tabs, Browsing history, Cache
  3. Always use Quit, which will appear at the bottom of the app menu, after visiting a Discourse site.

These measures are not too detrimental I find, as long as you donā€™t rely on browsing history.

2 Likes

With me, the bug recently got much worse. The above procedure no longer works and I canā€™t load the Forum at all. I suppose I could if I wanted to empty all data, but thatā€™s getting ridiculous. Clearing the app cache doies not help.
For the moment Iā€™ve fallen back on another browser (DDG) just for Discourse.

Anyone else see this?

I switched completely to Vivaldi due to this.

Iā€™ve always been using Vivaldi and have never faced the problem.

I donā€™t need to clear all data. All thatā€™s sufficient is switch to a non-discourse page, ā€œthrow away Firefoxā€ by swiping it out in the square button menu, and then relaunch it again. Sometimes I need to repeat this up to 10 times, but Iā€™ll always get there without clearing data.

4 Likes

Yep, same here. After the A13 update I had no issues at all for some time. But since a few weeks itā€™s back. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. But with enough tries it works eventually.

1 Like

yes that helped, thanks! I could then load the forum and things seem back to ā€œnormalā€.

1 Like