Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

I agree that the announcement may have been slightly misleading :confused: sorry to hear that you did not yet receive the update. Hopefully it will soon come through :slight_smile:

I would also suggest to check out the FAQ here:

Q: When do I get the Update?
A: We are providing the Android 9 in batches - each with a limited amount of users, starting on March 25th, 2021. We expect that all devices still in use shall have received the notification for the update in May, 2021. This controlled roll-out enables us to quickly react to possible bugs and issues that arise in the field.

and

Q: I did not get the update notification yet. How can I update now?
A: You will have to wait until it is your turn. When that time has come, you will receive a notification on your device and you can follow the instructions given there. A manual update to Android 9 is only available after we have invited all Fairphone 2 users to update.

If you can not wait to use Android 9 on your phone, you can always consider joining the beta program. Otherwise you will need to be a bit more patient I am afraid.

8 Likes

This is reg the FP3 and not FP2 and for the FP2 AFAIK updates were so far never rolled out that way. I have no SIM in my FP2 that was updated to Android 9 yestetday.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right, the ties with operators have become stronger with the FP3 as VoLTE and VoWLAN were added. In this case itā€™s either an issue with the updater app (you can clear its data in Settings > Apps to force it to check for updates) or the roll-out is indeed taking a bit longer.

(If you use an FP3 without a SIM, I believe you get updates based on the last SIM that had been in the device.)

2 Likes

@ctiecher Thanks - great link, I can forget about it for now!

1 Like

So, this means it even worked without SIM. Good to know. As I have it as a spare Cell and no SIM in it at the moment, but it would be great to update.

2 Likes

3.0k views. Does this means that there are at least still 3k FP2 users after 6 years? Thatā€™s amazing! How many were sold in total?

I believe there were 115k sold in total.

There is a chart with sales per model and year at Fairphones sold 2013-2020 :wink:

1 Like

Not really, there could b e just 1000 with an average of three views each though I image thereā€™s more like 30K users. No way of knowing as few come to this site. :slight_smile:

I guess FP will have at least a rough estimate by downloads of OS updates and the like.

Is hiccup still implemented?

3 Likes

Slightly off topic I suppose but my FP2 is still going strong without any replacement modules, and a relative of mine got a FP2 before me (which is why I got mine!) still has hers too and in daily use, also without any replacement modules.

Mine has the semi-transparent case so Iā€™ve had to use a bit of glue, but otherwiseā€¦ could not be more happy tbh! Its good to see lots of people who are in for the long haul, its kinda the point after all. What I do know is that if I do need a brand new phone or recommend one to someone else, it will be a Fairphone for sure. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I got my Android 9 update this morning. Everything seems Ok, so no drama. I will have to see how it performs!

8 Likes

My wifeā€™s FP2 got the update today via OTA - everything went fine :grinning:

We only had to place some app icons on the home screen again.

Thnx for keeping FP2 software up to date :+1:

6 Likes

Hi, is it possible to get some progress update on the FP Open OS version?
@karsten or @Ingo, maybe you people would be able to tell us something about that?

From what I can understand from the FP2: Android 9 public source release topic, the latest release candidate version is 21.03.0-rel.2 (according to this release manifest in one of FPā€™s public git repositories, whatever a release manifest is).

Finally, what would be the best way to follow the progress on the Open OS version of Android 9? (so that we donā€™t have to bother specific people in this topic from time to time :wink:)

Thanks a lot to Fairphone for bringing Android 9 to FP2 :heart:

4 Likes

To be added to the beta group, so that you can test the beta versions of FP Open and help give feedback. Would you wish so?

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a short update on the roll-out. The deployment has been slightly delayed because we are working on smoothing out a few bumps. On Monday our roll-out was at 50% and it should be complete by the end of April. Apologies to those that have had to wait a little longer. We will keep you updated on our progress here.

EDIT: The new deadline is now early next week (first week of May). Sorry for the delay, but thanks very much for your patience so far.

EDIT 2: We have reached 100% with the roll out :tada:

18 Likes

No you can move around a bit and get some fresh air, donā€™t wait for the future, it has habit of turning up when you are not looking.

3 Likes

Update went smoothly, and I really like the small differences I have found. Only minor niggle, is a couple of things in the settings menu are now in different places.

Best get wiggling with the niggling :slight_smile:

Today: beginning of May 2021: I still use FP Open OS 19.11.2 without any problem so far. Everything is working fine. (On another FP2 I am trying out e-OS with A10 ;-))

1 Like