Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Everyone should have received the update by the 18th I believe.

2 Likes

Thanks - I will try to be patient :wink:

2 Likes

Well, I’m still being patient. I think tomorrow is the last day of the roll-out. What are the chances I would still be waiting?

Increasing by the hour :wink: .

3 Likes

I presume y’all have the latest update of the Fairphone updater from the play store? You might just want to launch it manually and see if something comes in.

2 Likes

Today is the last day, still waiting too. FP2 Fairphone OS 19.11.2, Updater 1.50.1, even re-installed from G-Playstore. FP2 restartet several times. Battery 90%, Charger plugged in.

O.k., the day has some hours left…

2 Likes

Ich habe auf dem Open OS auch 1.50.1, im Aurora Store kommt nichts anderes.

Zum neuen Open OS: das ist noch im Rohr. Aber es gibt eine gute Alternative der e.foundation: das e.OS Info about FairPhone FP2 - FP2 | /e/ documentation Das ist auch gougle-frei und bietet sogar Android 10 an, ich bin daran es zu installieren (die Version mit Android 9 habe ich schon, sieht gut aus).

Even if the Rollout was planned to be finished by today it does not mean there could be reasons that it takes longer and the Version will not vanish after 23:59 today😉

1 Like

The link referres to Updater 1.50.1, which I have already installed via G-Playstore. But thanks anyway…

1 Like

Same for me, fairphone updater at 1.50.1, and still waiting… Should we plan a manual upgrade? Any official hint from fairphone would be greatly appreciated :slightly_smiling_face:

Congrats to the fairphone team for the achievement!

5 Likes

Have you tried contacting Fairphone officially?
:- support@fairphone.com

1 Like

Since I have no insight, just a guess.
The rollout went to the network providers in time. And it’s up to them, when they are doing the real push of Android 9 to their customers.
So, maybe even FP doedn’t exactly know/control the exact date. But they should be aware, if troubles occured for some providers. Therefore it would indead be a gold idea, to officially contact support.

1 Like

I still have no update. What a wind-up!

Download the app Aurora Store.
With this app-store you can update the app Fairphone Updater to the correct version.
I choose to use his app anonymous.
Now your phone should be able to receive the update for Android 9. Not immediately, but in the coming days.

Thanks for the alternative installation method, but isn’t it Fairphone’s job to deliver this to me through regular means by 18 April as per their promise?

@Iain_Kennedy

A couple of things

a) Fairphone didn’t make a promise to you as an individual more like they have made software that is available, i.e. you have no contract with Fairphone for the product, so it’s not their job to deliver.

b) The problem is then that the software, in this case an updated OS is made available for the networks, they in turn check it out and if they are happy with it they can make it available for their customers they will push a notification to you so you can download it. This is an OTA update (Over The Air) and is totally depended upon the network provider.

You can contact support@fairphone.com and ask if they have sent the update to your provider etc.

The other alternative is for you to download the OS manually and install it yourself. I haven’t found a link to a download but maybe Fairphone haven’t released to the public.

I don’t disagree, although if FP give a date for the rollout window but actually it is dependent on mobile providers, it would be better if they explain the way it works in the announcement.

Anyway the theres no blame game from me - I’m very grateful for FP’s continued support for the FP2 and if the OTA update doesn’t appear I will install manually :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@anon9989719

I am sorry if I appeared rude, but I read from Fairphone’s announcement on 25 March that the roll-out would take place between 25 March and 18 April. I may have been foolish, but I took this at face value.

I have no knowledge of how such software is distributed, I don’t know anything about the involvement of the networks. You must forgive me if I have misinterpreted Fairphone’s announcement but you must see how it can bring about expectations.

I am aware that deadlines are not always met, however a further announcement managing expectations would have been welcome.

2 Likes

The explanation can be found in a few posts etc.

1 Like