Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

Sorry, do you mean that this is an issue with the newest software update? If so, I assume this will be fixed in a future update? My FP2’s default camera has also lost its panorama and photo sphere features.

1 Like

From the issue tracker page, that @karsten linked to:

This issue affects all versions of Android 9.

Since it’s active on the issue tracker, I guess, they are working on it and at least plan to include it in a future update as soon as they have solved the problem.
But that’s just my own conclusion of course.

6 Likes

The issue is that the gyroscope doesn’t comply with specific Android requirements (see CDD/CTS for details). Those specific checks were not present in Android 7 and before, therefore we only had to disable it now since Android 9. LineageOS and /e/ are not certified by Google, so they are not affected by this.

We plan to re-enable the gyroscope again in some way in future releases, but we don’t have a clear timeline on that yet.

8 Likes

Anyway: I am so fed up with everything that comes from Android that I will soon leave this community (and ubuntu touch is NOT an alternative…). There is chaos everywhere, in the calendar, in the contacts, in the browsers - there is always a huge mess with this criminal OS.

If there would be an iOS or a solid linux system for Fairphone…

1 Like

Although I don’t use Google as such, no account etc. I have had no problems with Android since I left Nokia’ Symbian and later Samsung’s Bada

So I do wonder what chaos you have acquired and where it came from. Hope your new mobile phone endeavours are less heartbreaking.

2 Likes

Anyone know if the upgrade to Android 9 will also be offered through the Fairphone Updater to FP2 users still on Android 6?

We have one such FP2 user (German topic) who doesn’t seem to get offered even the Android 7 upgrade through her FP2’s updater app, not to mention Android 9. And her updater is on version 1.50.2.

How about the manual installation – should it be possible to directly go from Android 6 to Android 9 by means of the manual installation? Or should an intermediate step (upgrade from Android 6 to Android 7) be taken first?

1 Like

Hello @urs_lesse I note you are an old hat at this Fairphone endeavour so please excuse if my query seems inappropriate.

But isn’t it possible to update to install any suitable OS on a phone, i.e. if there is Android 9 for the FP2 anyone should can install it or the Android 7 manually ~ with required skills and patience, am I misunderstanding something?

1 Like

I have no idea, however what about installing A7 manually to avoid issues and then hopefully OTA will provide the updates step by step to A9?

1 Like

Probably in this case a downgrade oft the app would help AS the latest version was specifically for the A 9 upgrade?

1 Like

From Fairphone 2 (Android 9) - FAQ:

Q: I did not get the update notification yet. How can I update now?
A: Make sure you are running the latest version of Android 7.1.2. You will need the Fairphone Updater app. If you have not downloaded it yet, make sure you are running Android 6 at least, and go to the Google Play store to install the Fairphone Updater app on your device. Then update to the Fairphone 7.1.2 version. Via the Fairphone Updater app, you can then update your device from Android 7 to Android 9.

If this doesn’t work out, you can manually update to Android 9.

My best bet is that the most recent Fairphone Updater version does not “see” any update when running on A6…

5 Likes

The latest Updater version should just work well on Android 6 as well. The only limitation is that for the Android 7 and 9 upgrade, you need a minimum Updater app version installed.

As for the 6 to 9 upgrade: We never tested that and I don’t recommend doing that. It is very likely that some migrations steps would be missing, and that apps or system services wouldn’t work properly. First manually updating to Android 7 (19.11.2) should work well.

5 Likes

Eventually the upgrade from Android 6 to Android 7 has become available to the user, apparently it took some freeing up of storage space to “unlock” the upgrade.

UPDATE: Afters successfully upgrading (apparently OTA) to Android 7 (Fairphone OS 18.09.2), the updating went on up to Fairphone OS 19.11.2 and from there/then to Fairphone OS 21.05.0. so it’s not a one-stop upgrade from Android 6 to Android 9, but: 6 → 7 → 9. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

We both will return to 19.11.2 - as we expereince far too many spontaneous reboots with A9 (FP open) and A10 (eOS of e-foundation). 19.11.2 was always stable. And those few apps we need, still run well.

Dixi.

2 Likes

…and the WiFi connection is also far more stable with A7 than with A9 or A10…

But with serious security issues, as Android 7 got no updates for quite a while now.

Who cares - I never had any security issues, and we don’t use a lot of apps. How many people are walking around with very old smartphones and never have any problems (except for newer apps - but you can avoid those).

The problem is another one: Android as such is a complete failure. It’s usability is a sheer catastrophe. And unfortunately ubports and jolla sailfish are in no ways better, I have them all tried out. Apparently iOS is the only OS with a more or less normal usability.

You should care. The nature of a ‘good’ exploit of a security breach is, that you don’t realize that it is already used to compromise your phone, steal data or use it for illegal activities.

As I’m using iOS and Android, I can’t say, that one of them is better in all ways. Some things are working better or easier on this side of the river, some on the other bank.

2 Likes

Exactly, who really knows what data has unwillingly been extracted. Sure some people may not care ~ until one day. Oops! maybe a security update would have been usefull.

Like @anon83191809 I use few apps etc. but even on my PC I use thunderbird not a web email app, and even then my data is encrypted on an SD card, not the main memory.

My thinking is that I have other peoples personal data too, emails addresses, and I’m sure they would like me to do my best to keep it secure.

Hi,
I’m still awaiting notification to upgrade my FP2 to android-9,
as haven’t heard anything yet.
Will notification go to my phone, or will i receive an email?
Not sure how this upgrade is being rolled out.
Please advise.

Regards,
Chris Aldridge
Reading, uk

Have you checked which version of Fairphone Updater you habe installed?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fairphone.updater&hl=en

Updates are rolled out in relation with the app version you have installed.
If you’re on the latest version of the app (v. 1.50.2) you should receive the newes android Update :slight_smile:

3 Likes