Redefining longevity: Android 9 now available for Fairphone 2

I received my update yesterday. Thank you!

One small bug though: It shows under apps and notifications that I have one app with notifications turned off. Unfortunately Android doesn’t show which one. But I scrolled through all of them and there is no app with muted notifications.

I guess it is a general bug?

3 Likes

Just had mine, too. How many of us got it right at the last moment, when FP declared the roll-out complete? :rofl: anyway, there now, some exploring to do when it’s settled down!

3 Likes

Hi there!

Everything went smoothly with my update, thank you so much!!! Some apps seemed to be running slower than usual in the beginning, but now after some days it’s back to normal. A banking pin number was lost during the process, strangely, but I could reset it. So - no big issues. :slight_smile:
FP2 running for 5 years now. Great.

8 Likes

Great, then the link to the Updater App APK could be updated to 1.50.2 here (it’s still 1.50.1 currently) …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020582391-Manually-update-the-Fairphone-Updater-App

… and the OS install file could be updated to Android 9 here (it’s still 19.11.2 currently) …

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-for-the-Fairphone-2

6 Likes

Does anyone have experience with a encrypted phone and the update to Android 9?
I only get my company emails and calendar via Microsoft “Unternehmensportal” which needs an encrypted phone. Do I have to decrypt the phone before?

From what I remember in other forum topics and from what @anon83191809 has said above you should do the upgrade with your encryption ON. From what I have read, encryption is currently not possible if you decrypted it before the upgrade:

2 Likes

Hi Ronald, I had a similar situation. My company requires my phone to be encrypted for some authentication tasks.

I did upgrade my FP2 from encrypted Android 7 to 9. This is currently the only way to have an encrypted Android 9 FP2.

Encryption is disabled on FairPhone OS Android 9.

For the more info you can look here.

7 Likes

As I said: My own FP2 was already encrypted with A7 and it updated quickly and smoothly, without any problems.

While the one of my wife, also being encrypted with A7, when rebooting after the installation of the new OS forced us to do a complete reset, and it said this is due to the encryption. No way to save the data before that.

Well, she has a newly installed FP2 by now with A9. While I have an updated FP2 with A9 that by the way does a lot of spontaneous reboots which is a bit annoying…

2 Likes

There is a bug where inputting the wrong encryption PIN can cause a message that the data is corrupt and prompting for a full reset (instead of saying the PIN is wrong) - however if you cancel out of that and put in the right PIN, it will unlock successfully. So it may be that your wife’s phone didn’t need to be reset. I hope that issue can be fixed as your situation is a perfect example of how it will lead to people losing data!

4 Likes

Thanks, but too late, the phone is already completedly resetted :wink:

1 Like

Have updated to Pie successfully.
The FP2 now asks me to enable Open GL ES 3.0. Do you recommend to enable this or should I better dismiss the request?
Screenshot 2021-05-10 194251

A report of my first experiences and impressions will follow soon.

1 Like

Probably, depends on how much graphics you use.

2 Likes

Sad to hear about the spontaneus reeboots. Hoped to get rid of that by updating.

This is a known issue:

3 Likes

The manual update instructions for Android 9 are in a separate article now: Fairphone 2 (A9). Manually install Fairphone OS – Support

The Updater app manual download link is updated now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just saw the current distinction of the support areas for Android 7 and Android 9 starting here … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017957437.

I see that the path to the individual support pages is given at the top of the respective page, but I don’t think it’s obvious or clear enough to not confuse people landing on an Android 7 page coming from e.g. an internet search or a forum link.

Can the Android 7 support pages perhaps get an obvious (red, bold) pointer saying that the page refers to an old OS version and that there’s a more recent one, with a link to the distinction page?

3 Likes

Searching for ‘fairphone android 7 support’ does take me to the 7 support otherwise I get the choice your links point to. I’m not sure I get what you mean?

Let’s say you just click on this link which can be found further above in this topic … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/207914363-Manually-install-Fairphone-OS-for-the-Fairphone-2

Apart from the really unremarkable “Support → Fairphone 2 (Android 7.1.2) ->Using OS (Android 7.1.2)” path near the top of the page there’s almost no hint that this page is about Android 7, and absolutely no hint that there is an extra version of this page for Android 9.

Let me be an unsuspecting user wanting to install Fairphone OS manually, possibly I found a link to this page in the forum where it was proposed as a solution to an issue … ok, the page tells me how to do that, check … it says Fairphone OS 19.11.2 … like I care, the page says it’s an upgrade, so it seems new enough, check.

But what if I have Android 9 on the phone already?
I think this is bound to lead to confusion.

3 Likes

OK I see what you mean. So this request has to be targeted at support@fairphone.com I imagine

I didn’t target my initial request to update the links on the pages at support either, and it seems to have worked out fine nonetheless :wink: .

You’re right, of course, but I’ll leave a support request for when I have an actual example of confusion, it may still be that I’m concerned for nothing.

4 Likes